About these ads

Congress gives Felipe Calderon a standing ovation for bashing Arizona’s immigration law

May 20, 2010

I am going to be perfectly honest with you, the story that I am about to write about absolutely sickens me!

Today Mexican President Felipe Calderon stood in front of the United States congress and lectured them about Arizona’s new immigration law. His comments about Arizona’s law drew a standing ovation from congress.

He stood up in front of our government officials and slammed a law that one of our states made, and congress stood up and applauded him for this. I have seen many reports on the internet about Democrats giving him a standing ovation, but I am not willing to let Republicans off of the hook here. It appears to me that when the standing ovation started there were also Republicans who stood up and cheered him.

It can be argued that the congress was simply doing this as a show of respect to the leader of another country but that does not cut it in my opinion. I am disgusted by the fact that a foreign leader was on OUR soil, bashed OUR country, and OUR leaders cheered him on loudly for this.

70% of Americans polled agree with Arizona’s new law and yet congress decided to alienate those Americans in order to align themselves with the president of another country. It shows us where their true loyalties lie.

We MUST remember this in November and show congress where OUR loyalties lie– with the United States of AMERICA!

UPDATE: It turns out that it was actually Eric Holder who led the standing ovation, read more here.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

About these ads
  1. May 20, 2010 8:44 pm

You’d expect otherwise? Of course one set of enemies of America applauded another.

• May 20, 2010 9:51 pm

No it isn’t surprising, but it isn’t often that liberals will admit who they really are.

2. Mike permalink
    May 20, 2010 8:55 pm

1) I have concerns with the Arizona law; 2) I have no problem with a foreign leader expressing his opinion about our country and the laws we enact; 3) I have a BIG problem with a foreign leader expressing those opinions publicly while a guest in our country, and; 4) I have a HUGE problem with a foreign leader making those comments before a joint session of Congress and receiving a standing ovation (or even polite applause!!) for doing so. Good post Steve!

• May 20, 2010 9:58 pm

First, thanks for the compliment Mike.
      I know you have problems with the law, and you know that I do not. This law is basically the same as the federal law that isn’t being enforced. If the law was being enforced, Arizona would not have felt compelled to act.
      On the three other issues you raised, we are in agreement. A foreign leader is free to say whatever he wants about America while in his country, I may not agree with what he says, but he has that right. But once that person comes on to US soil he should show respect to the country, could you imagine a United States president going to another country and saying something like this?!
      As for congress giving this man a standing ovation for what he said, I am at a loss for words!

3. May 20, 2010 10:41 pm

I really do not understand how anyone can justify Calderon coming to this country and openly and blatantly criticizing one of our laws, federal or state. His actions are completely out of line and the fact that Congress gave him a standing ovation does nothing but rub salt in the wound. It was completely uncalled for.

• May 21, 2010 6:00 am

Well said Larry! I just don’t understand what these people were thinking.

4. May 21, 2010 1:16 am

This might make you proud again! One representative didn’t like Calderon’s behavior at all!

• May 21, 2010 6:07 am

WOW! That was great. It is good to finally see someone in cogress actually call out Calderon on his hypocrisy about enforcing immigration!

5. May 21, 2010 1:12 pm

It took me a little while to cool off after reading this. I get quite angry when I hear my country being disrespected, especially by leaders of other country’s. Now, I respect Calderon’s right to his own opinion. However, to walk into the capital of my country and denounce one of my fellow states, he is simply out of line. This is America. Not Mexico.

Perhaps Mr Calderon simply did not understand that what he did was wrong. If so, an apology would be appropriate. Our congressmen have no such excuse. They publicly encouraged a foreign leader for showing disrespect to this nation? I’m sincerely hope that none of the men I voted for have participated in this disloyal display.

• May 22, 2010 6:37 am

Very well said Isiah. I think that Calderon probably knew this wasn’t right, he would not have allowed it to happen in his country. But it is even more disturbing that congress encouraged him be cheering him on. This was disgusting and I am pretty sure that my representative probably was one of the ones cheering him on. I am trying to find out.

6. Bill permalink
    May 25, 2010 10:04 am

I am ashamed the Republicans didn’t, as one, stand up and walk out.

• May 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Now that would have been a sight to see, too bad the Republicans did not have the courage to do it.

1. Moonbattery » Picture of the Day