Cambridge Massachusetts vs the Boy Scouts

November 23, 2007

Cross posted at Grizzly Groundswell

Cross posted at Political Grind

For those of you from not around here, Cambridge Massachusetts is probably the most liberal city in the country. That may be over stating it a bit, San Francisco is probably still ahead, but Cambridge is one of the most liberal cities in the country, and probably the most liberal in New England. Cambridge is also a sanctuary city, although that has nothing to do with this story I thought I would throw that out there.

Cambridge recently had their city elections and the Boy Scouts had an idea. That idea, while sounding innocent enough was enough to enrage the liberal officials of this city. What was the idea that so offended Cambridge city officials? The Boy Scouts decided to have an election day drive to collect care packages for the troops serving in Iraq. They set up drop off boxes at the polling stations where people could drop off toiletries and other little items that are not available to our brave troops overseas.

Cambridge officials put a stop to this drive and made the Boy Scouts remove the drop off boxes from the polling stations. Evidently if you try to give to the soldiers a few gifts from home, that means you support the troops, and if you support the troops you must agree with the war. Cambridge can’t have anything to do with anything that they feel supports fighting the war on terror. You can be against the war and still feel that you would like to help the troops in a small way by donating magazines for them to read, but that is lost on these assholes.

“We just wanted to make a lot of troops happy,” said Scout Patrick O’Connor, 16. “I was devastated that someone would think to take (the donation boxes) out,” he said.

Patrick O’Conner is one of the boys who organized this drive. He wanted to help out because one of his relatives was injured in Iraq in an IED explosion. Cambridge gave this boy,the Boy Scouts, and the soldiers a big FUCK YOU.

The drop off boxes were removed after ONE person complained that the boxes were making a political statement. How is this a political statement? This is not making a pro war statement, God forbid, this is simply a way to support the troops. Liberals constantly say they support the troops, just not the mission, but this shows us that they do not in fact support the troops. They have exposed themselves for who they really are, anti-troops, and anti-military. Unless the military is running a humanitarian effort they want nothing to do with them.

“This was not about supporting the war or any politician or political view. This was supporting the brave men and women who are stationed overseas,” said troop committee chairman Jamisean Patterson, 35.

Of course Cambridge blames it on a lack of communication even though the troops received permission from the city and the polling stations.

Cambridge Vice Mayor Timothy J. Toomey Jr. said a breakdown in communication, rather than malice, led to the boxes being removed.

“Boy Scouts Troop 45’s efforts to support our troops are a benefit for the entire community, and the council will be working with them to ensure that their goals are fully realized,” he said in a written statement.

Now is the chance for the Boy Scouts to give the city of Cambridge a big FUCK YOU, but that is not the way the Boy Scouts operate, nor should it be. Cambridge has exposed themselves for who they really are and for now that will have to do.

I will leave you with this:

You can read more here and here.

WordPress.com Political Blogger Alliance

1. TRM permalink
    November 23, 2007 8:26 pm

I heard about this and just shook my head. I was a boy scout and we did lots of things for the community. I wonder what was going on in those kids heads when they were told they had to stop what they were doing… stuff like that messes with kids heads you know…

Good luck in enemy territory my friend. Blend in, stay low and wear a vest!

2. November 23, 2007 9:12 pm

It is sad when young kids are trying to do something positive and they are stopped by government officials, what kind of message does it send?
    I’m tired of just trying to blend in, I want to rise up. But for now I will sit behind the computer and fight, I won’t need a vest that way. 🙂

3. November 24, 2007 10:44 am

“Cambridge Massachusetts is probably the most liberal city in the country”

I can think of quite a few more.

4. November 25, 2007 3:11 am

This is one of those stories that really shows the underbelly of the socialist squirrel beast in our government. I sent them an email and asked for heads to roll unless they turned this around and made sure that this troop and the organization always has a place for their boxes to collect items to support our Military Troops who defend us while we sleep.

Will they take my advice? I doubt it, but at least I can say I tried to give them wisdom. Not that I think Socialist Squirrels know what to do with it!

~Teddy Bear

5. Alisa Spicer permalink
    November 25, 2007 9:06 pm

I think it is attrocious that ONE(1) person out of the entire amount of people that were going to the polls decided that this was “political”. Perhaps this person would care to do without what our troops are doing without and then let that person explain what is so “political” about getting care packages from their home country.

6. Chuck Lundy permalink
    November 28, 2007 12:36 pm

As a parent actively involved in Scouting, not only do I think this is an outrage against the Scouting Program, but an outrage against the American idealism Itself. It’s time for us True Americans to stand up and take this Great Country back from the politically correct liberal socialist movement in the name of God and our Inherited Human and American Rights!! Not only do I support the war in Iraq and all of Our troops, I also support the notion of an invasion of Iran as well. It is either victory against the psychotic terrorist mindset of radical Islam or destruction of our way of life in the United States. I have chosen my side, have you? Remember 9/11!! God Bless America and the Boy Scouts!

7. November 28, 2007 7:41 pm

I couldn’t agree with Alisa and Chuck any more.

8. December 1, 2007 12:12 am

Cambridge had a great opportunity to assault both groups it hates, there — troops and the Boy Scouts. You’re right, of course, that the BSA keeps on doing its great work without the support of the liberals, and doesn’t let the Lefties bring them down.

Still, it’s just sad that a civic organization trying to provide national service to men and women in service are being squashed. In a more-civilized era, it would be shocking NOT to have the Boy Scouts collecting items for the troops on Election Day.

9. The Blue Baron permalink
    February 29, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi. I enjoyed reading your post about the Boy Scouts versus the Cambridge Election Commission, and I thought you might like to know about a brand new blog published under deep cover behind enemy lines in the Peoples Republic. It’s called the Cambridge Patriots Committee, and the URL is

We’re trying to restore some sanity to Cambridge government. One of our goals is to eliminate Cambridge’s “Peace Commission”–a hotbed of anti-American, anti-military, anti-common sense leftists which is paid for by local taxpayers to the tune of $75,000 per year! I suspect that the Appeasement Commission had a role to play in the Election Commission’s banishment of the Boy Scouts.

10. March 1, 2008 5:58 am

I have added you to the blogroll. I hope you succeed with that goal, it sounds like a good place to start.