NBC Rejects a Conservative Group Airtime for an Ad that Supports the Troops

December 7, 2007

A conservative group called Freedom’s Watch was recently denied in their bid to buy advertising on NBC. The ad that they wanted to run was an ad to tell everybody to say thank you to our troops over the holiday season. Sounds like a controversial ad to me, doesn’t it. This is ridiculous, and the killer here is the lame reason they gave for not accepting the ad. I would respect them more if they came out and said, “your website supports President Bush and his policies, so we do not want to show your commercial.” That, at least, would be the truth. The reason they gave was that the advertisement was an advertisement for the group’s website. They also called the ads too political.

How obscene is that? Since when can a website not advertise on network television? I see all these lame website commercials every day. So, one can logically assume that NBC is not opposed to running an ad for a website, they are opposed to running an ad for THIS website. One can then assume that the reason NBC doesn’t want to run an ad for THIS website is because they agree with the president’s policies.

Alan Wurtzel, NBC’s head of standards and practices, even went so far as to say that the reason that Freedom’s Watch refused to alter their ad for their own website was because Freedom’s Watch wanted to create a controversy with NBC to gather even more media attention.

What a disgrace.

Here are the ads that NBC refuses to show.

Video Hat tip: Political Vindication

Read the breitbart article here.

UPDATE: NBC has reversed it’s decision and is now running the ad. NBC claims to have changed some policy that they were hiding behind in their decision to reject the ad in the first place.

1. December 7, 2007 8:29 pm

NBC has really gone off the liberal bias deep-end. Between their massive support and promotion of the green movement to things like this, it really makes their intentions transparent. To claim that an ad thanking the troops is too “political” is nothing but a flimsy cover. I have seen far worse in support of lefty causes (not to mention the blatant support of the green left). It’s the new trend of selective media and journalism. It just unfortunate that we have so little support on our side when it comes to the mainstream media.

2. Thomas Spears permalink
    December 7, 2007 9:10 pm

Heroes is one of the few shows that I watched on a regular basis. I guess I now have one more hour to use in another way.

3. Brad permalink
    December 7, 2007 9:38 pm

I’m now going to have to watch more NBC. Freedom’s Watch is nothing more than official Bush administration propaganda. It’s made up of former administration members. It’s not independent; it’s Pravda. Good for NBC. Fox can run their BS ads; they have no integrity anyway.

4. December 7, 2007 10:01 pm

Fox has no integrity? You must be joking. NBC is an absolute joke and have no journalistic integrity whatsoever. They are nothing more than a front group for Al Gore and the envirofreaks.

5. December 8, 2007 6:20 pm

I guess we all have mixed feelings about events such as this action by NBC.
    A network should have some wiggle room in refusing ads of any kind. But, it would increase their credibility enormously if they were consistent in their refusals.
    This ad wishing our troops well certainly is within the guidelines by any standard.
    NBC’s refusal (although I just read that they have relented) shows a very narrow and discriminating bias.
    But really folks are any of you surprised?

6. December 9, 2007 6:41 am

Brad, Fox isn’t the news station that forged documents to bring down the president, and Fox wasn’t the network that pu a big black X over Dick Cheney’s face and then blamed it on some sort of computer glitch, Fox isn’t the network that planted questions that were supposed to be from ordinary citizens in the Republican debate. Last time I checked, Fox News has a Democrat and a Republican on when they debate an issue and both sides are allowed to make their points. When the other networks debate an issue they bring in George Stephanonpolis and James Carville, and they debate for the same side, there is no Republican represented in the debate. Hell, they even bring these two on to cover the Democrat’s debates, never once mentioning that both worked for the Clinton administration and might be bias towards Mrs. Clinton when commenting on the debate.

7. December 11, 2007 3:17 pm

Great post, I was going to post on this but didn’t have time. If I had time I was going to play one of the ads on my radio show but ran out of time.

I was outraged by it and if NBC hadn’t reversed itself I was going to do a post entitled, NBC Sucks ;-)!!

8. December 11, 2007 7:37 pm

You can still make a post called NBC sucks if you want. Ater all, somebody at NBC thought this was a good idea, they only changed position after public outcry. So as far as I’m concerned NBC still sucks.

9. December 12, 2007 7:48 am

The fact that they backed down and conceded makes things even worse and proves that they have no spine. I would rather they stick to their guns even when they’re wrong than to make a statement and then back down when challenged. The damage is already done and now they just look like fools.

It just goes to show that there is no honesty in the media any longer. They claimed it was a mistake, but the truth of the matter is that it was a conscious choice on their part based on their own ideology and agenda. When the American public caught wind of it and expressed their outrage, they flip-flopped (where have we seen tis before??). I would rather see honest assholes than dishonest weasels. At least one has integrity.

10. March 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Nothing wrong with this, at all, people should get it more.