Hillary Clinton’s Campaign Charged with Making Racially Insensitive Comments

January 13, 2008

Cross posted on Grizzly Groundswell

hillary-clinton-yell.jpg Hillary Clinton, her husband, and her campaign are coming under fire for recent remarks that have been made. They are being called racially insensitive remarks and offensive. Bill Clinton called Barack Obama’s surge a “fairy tale” speaking about Obama’s rise out of nowhere. Hillary recognized the accomplishments of LBJ for passing civil rights legislation. These remarks were interpreted as racist. As much as I would like to use this post to bash a racist Hillary Clinton, (and I am enjoying the fact that this is happening to her), that is not what I am going to do, I am going to go in a different direction.

I have been of the belief that during a general election that had either Clinton or Obama as the Democrat nominee that the race or gender card would be played. If Obama lost to the Republican, it would be racist American Republican’s fault. If Clinton lost to the Republican, it would be sexist Republican’s fault. We would hear stories about how America just isn’t ready, we are still so very, very far behind all the other countries. But I have been curious if the race or gender card would be played during the Democrat primary season. I was curious if the people who actually had to decide between a black man or a woman would have their feet held to the fire, and now I know.

First I heard stories about how racist New Hampshire didn’t vote for a black man. That pissed me off. I didn’t vote for him because of his policies, not his race, just as I would never, ever vote for Hillary because of her policies. That does not make me a racist or a sexist.

Now Democrat voters, you know, the ones who don’t care about color, race, or sexual preference unlike evil Republicans, have to chose between a woman and a black man and I want them held to the same standards as Republicans.

obama02071.jpgDo I think that any of these remarks made by the Clinton’s were intended as racist? No, but here is the problem. Democrats have been telling poor black people for so long that the system is unfair, and that evil, white Republican America is going to fuck them over every chance they get that they now don’t trust any white person. Including Bill (the first black president), and Hillary. Now the game the Democrats have been playing comes home to roost when you have an extremely viable, popular black man running for president. Any attack against him or his record will be seen as racist, while the same attack ad against a white Democrat opponenet will just be seen as politics as usual.

Democrats look at a person and immediately put them into a category- black, Hispanic, Asian, or many other hyphenated American names. Instead of just being American, we are all hyphenated-Americans. They are the ones who have divided America into different racial groups, all in the attempt to pander to them in the name of winning votes. They have made minority groups so sensitive that they see many comments that were not made with racial overtones as racist. Democrats have hurt race relations.

Whether or not the Obama camp thinks the attacks are racist is besides the point. Perhaps the Obama camp will use this as an example of how white America is trying to hold Obama down, even if it’s a Democrat who is holding him down. Or perhaps the mindset that the Democrats have set in stone in the black voter’s minds about white America is going to be the downfall of one of their own.

Democrat candidates should be able to attack Obama, or Clinton on positions they don’t agree with without being called racist or sexist. Democrat voters should be able to go into the booth and vote for the candidate whose positions are most like their own, regardless of color or gender.

Republican voters vote on the issues first and foremost, (except for Iowa), and that is what Democrat voters should also be allowed to do. But someone in Obama’s camp has decided to play the race card and turn this election into race versus gender when it should be about the issues. Once again the Democrats are dividing people, this time on their own side, instead of bringing them together, as they have promised to do if elected president. How are we supposed to trust them to bring Republicans and Democrats together if they are pushing themselves apart?

WordPress.com Political Blogger Alliance

1. January 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Did you hear Bill Clinton on Al Sharpton’s radio show trying to cover for them? Hannity played pieces of it on his show on Friday. It was sickening to say the least. He’s out there trying to do damage control on this – which really means they eff’d up bad.

The big question is how much damage was really done? She still has the “I’m a poor little girl in a big man’s world” card she can continue to play, which may still be able to trump this racial issue.

Either way, the Dem standard of separating everybody may backfire badly in this race, because now they have two people that they have spent years trying to separate from “mainstream” America who are now going against each other for the ultimate “prize.” The question is, how will the handle the damage, because no matter who wins, they will lose when it comes to the “America is keeping [women] or [blacks] down” issue.

2. January 13, 2008 8:20 pm

This is great, isn’t it? I don’t think it will have much effect when all is said and done, the Clinton’s are always able to squirm out of everything. But it is so fun to watch.

3. January 13, 2008 8:39 pm

Oh, absolutely! Listening to Bill squirm on Sharpton’s show was great.

4. January 13, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks for the critical conversation starter! How have Republicans improved human relationships? Is America really colorblind so much so that race — a social construct — is really irrelevant? I can only speak from personal experience but I embrace days when I’m not made painfully aware (racial slurs and derogatory comments) of my identity (black and woman) within America — in contrast to my experience internationally as simply an American. And, with all due respect, political parties are also social constructs. You can not tell, however, by looking at a human being what their party affiliation is….

5. Deb permalink
    January 14, 2008 9:20 am

The truth hurts! So is electing Obama reparations?

6. January 14, 2008 10:47 pm

I think Hillary will probably apologize for slavery in the next week or so. 🙂

7. January 15, 2008 12:11 am

Perhaps there has been a misunderstanding but I do not see the words “slavery,” “reparations,” or “Obama” in my previous comment. I simply asked — out of honest inquiry — how have Republicans improved human relationships?

What does either response (comment) accomplish?

8. January 15, 2008 7:37 am

Well, I look at it this way… In essence, the government should not be in the business of improving human relationships. However, since it doesn’t seem to work like that, the best way to do so would be to create and maintain true equality between sub-groups. This constant need to hyphenate and separate that the dems do does nothing to foster relationships – in fact it’s usually quite the opposite.

A Republican – albeit a true Conservative Republican – would not stand for “protected classes” that separate people and affords special or preferential treatment to one group over another. They would not try to force acceptance by elevating certain groups and forcing people to contend with them via rule of law. All it does is breed contempt and further the divide between people.

Have the Republicans been good at doing this as of late? Not really, but in a true Conservative view this sort of thing is paramount to running a successful and productive country.

9. January 15, 2008 8:32 am

Thank you Ryan! This is an impressive answer. I appreciate it, sincerely.

10. January 15, 2008 9:40 pm

Ryan’s response sums up what my original post intended to say, that Democrats have hyphenated Americans into different groups and that is not helpful at all. We can’t come together if we are constantly grouped into different categories. Republicans have been stereotyped, and in this fued between Hillary and Obama we see the political correct mindthink that Democrats instituted comming back to haunt them.

11. Wang permalink
    March 17, 2009 10:13 pm

Speaking of Hillary Clinton:

There is bad news about her husband.

It is opined that Bill Clinton committed racist hate crimes, and I am not free to say anything further about it.

Respectfully Submitted by Andrew Y. Wang, J.D. Candidate
    B.S., Summa Cum Laude, 1996
    Messiah College, Grantham, PA
    Lower Merion High School, Ardmore, PA, 1993

(I can type 90 words per minute, and there are probably thousands of copies on the Internet indicating the content of this post.)
    _________________
    “If only it were possible to ban invention that bottled up memories so they never got stale and faded.” Off the top of my head—it came from my Lower Merion High School yearbook.