Boston College Under Fire for Displaying Crucifixes in Class Rooms

February 12, 2009

Cross posted at Grizzly Groundswell

Boston College is getting heat from some professors and students for displaying crucifixes in the classrooms. Hanging crucifixes in the classroom has been called “offensive and anti-intellectual” by one professor.

There is one small, slight, little problem with this argument- BOSTON COLLEGE IS A CATHOLIC SCHOOL! Just in case you were wondering the president of this PRIVATE school is a priest.

Students pay to go to this Catholic school and professors get paid to teach at this Catholic school, so if you do not like what is displayed at this Catholic school than shut up and go somewhere else. Students and teachers know when they either sign up to take or teach classes there that this is a Catholic school, if you are offended leave!

Boston College is refusing to give in on this issue and good for them, people know what they are getting into when they CHOOSE to go to school there so instead of trying to change the school perhaps they should second guess themselves for going to a school that doesn’t represent their beliefs.

I leave you with a quote from one student who gets it.

Boston College welcomes students, faculty and staff from all religious persuasions with welcome arms,” said senior Patrick Fouhy, 21. “But at the end of the day, we are still a Jesuit, Catholic university and that is a core part of our identity. Putting crucifixes up is a nice reminder of that

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to Ma.gnoliaAdd to TechnoratiAdd to FurlAdd to Newsvine

1. Wellsy permalink
    February 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Good for Boston College for not backing away from their heritage. Grievence-mongers don’t care about the context of a situation – all they care about is how “offended” they are. Note that to alleviate the offense the offender usually has to cave in to whatever liberal demands the accuser puts forth. Luckily, that doesn’t seem to be the case this time around.

2. February 12, 2009 8:00 pm

Grievence-mongers: I love that term, I hope you don’t mind if I use that in the future!
    And, by the way, you make a great point.

3. February 12, 2009 9:56 pm

I religious based school having religious icons in the classroom. Who would have thought? Seems like to me the only anti-intellectualism here is on the part of the professor. People like that are typically full of hate; at least that has been my experience.

4. February 13, 2009 5:50 am

It seems to me that these people are full of hate. They see something that makes other people feel happy or secure and they need to tear it down.

5. Deb permalink
    February 13, 2009 5:27 pm

And the crucifix’ were called a “scathing insult”. THat was the one that got me. I say good that they put them back up. Like you said S., Catholic school! And my personal opinion is that the catholic religion is a particular target for the secular progressives. Can’t stand being told what to do, and that there are consequences for actions.

6. sjdemoor85 permalink
    October 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Hello, I am a young Catholic from Colorado and I am starting up my new Catholic blog. I just thought you may be interested in it. Perhaps you could help me spread the word about it to some of your blog followers! Blessings to you and you apostolate in the Church.