New Hampshire is the Freest State in the Country

March 14, 2009

I saw a post on Political Vindication the other day that linked to a study that was done by the Mercatus Center, this study ranked the states by their personal freedom index.

New Hampshire finished in a three way tie for first place as the freest state to live in.

We find that the freest states in the country are New Hampshire, Colorado, and South Dakota, which together achieve a virtual tie for first place. All three states feature low taxes and government spending and middling levels of regulation and paternalism.

New Hampshire finished second on their economic freedom ranking and thirteenth on their personal freedom ranking. It is the personal freedom ranking that I would like to look at.

According to the study, they took into account government regulation and paternalism. I prefer to call these Nanny State issues, and on this New Hampshire finished about where I would have expected, although I would have thought maybe we could have finished a little higher, at thirteenth.

I believe that New Hampshire would have finished higher on personal freedoms as little as one to two years ago, I believe that New Hampshire is on a downturn on this issue and is continuing to trend downward. Just one year ago I believe that New Hampshire would have stood alone as the freest state in the country on the overall rankings, but that has changed. And it is because of the Nanny State politicians and the regulations that they have just recently began to impose.

Just in the last year smoking was banned in bars and restaurants by the government even though 75% of these private businesses had banned smoking willingly on their own, there is talk of mandatory helmets on the ski slopes, a one drink an hour; four drink per sitting law, the mandatory seat-belt legislation is back and the list goes on and on. And then there are all of the new taxes designed to regulate the people.

New Hampshire’s freedom ranking is under assault by the Nanny State politicians who run the state and the attack has been amplified in just the last couple of years.

New Hamsphirites consider themselves free thinking, independent people who take pride in small government and person freedom but that is under attack. We need to preserve our freedoms while we still can. We must stop the Nanny State politicians from regulating every day behavior.

New Hampshire is still ranked number one but for how long?  Next year will we still be tied at the top, or will we continue to slide? Where will we be ranked next year?

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to Ma.gnoliaAdd to TechnoratiAdd to FurlAdd to Newsvine

1. March 14, 2009 12:37 pm

I have always been dead set against laws or taxes designed to protect people from themselves. Things like seat belt laws, helmet laws on the ski slopes or on bikes, smoking regulations and hefty taxes, alcohol taxes and limits, all of these things and many others really piss me off. If I am the only victim, then I ALONE have the right to regulate my behavior. If I want to commit suicide, that is my right, not something any level of government has the right to steal from me. Ah, I gotta go, I feel a cussing streak coming.

• Joey Novick permalink
      March 23, 2009 8:21 pm

How about laws to prevent you from walking in to traffic? Or warnings to prevent you from drinking poison? Or from painting your house with lead paint, so your children don’t get brain damage? Too much law for you?

• Ray permalink
        April 24, 2009 2:37 pm

If you walk into traffic on purpose then the laws of natural selection should prevail. Dose makes the poison so warnings would apply to any liquid. If I drink it, it’s my problem. As an adult with no children at home, a little lead on my house doesn’t worry me. It’s my house, my problem. I hate nanny’s…I’ll do and you’ll do what we want and as long as it doesn’t infringe on our ‘rights’ so what. However if what I do causes you or anyone else ‘mental ‘ anguish……good.

• Justice permalink
        September 28, 2009 1:18 pm

Walkin into traffic is not at all a valid comparison, this is a act that DOES EFFECT OTHERS ie the people in the cars who are driving and may crash/damage their cars/kill themselves trying to avoid hitting you. The OP you replied to was referring only to things that effect him/herself and not others. For example no taxes to punish smokers but its ok to have a law that fines or jails people from smoking in closed cars or too close proximity to children or others who DO NOT wish to breath smoke. Another example is not punishing people for choosing NOT to pay for a driver’s license but waiting until there is an actual crime (crimes have victims some one who was harmed) until a punishment is executed. These are examples of freedom at work that too many Americans just have lost all sense of concept for.

There should be a law against publicly thinking illogically though.

• Ginger permalink
      June 14, 2011 11:30 pm

I totally AGREE. There is WAYYYYY toooo much government telling us what to do in Every respect /aspect of our lives and I am Sick of it. Get out of my face Uncle Sam.

2. March 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Imagine how the rest of us live.

3. beachmom permalink
    May 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Welcome to the Maine annex.
    We have new nanny law legislation introduced every other day up here.
    Plus 8.5% state income tax, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

4. Anon permalink
    October 1, 2009 9:53 am

I was born on the north shore of Massachusetts and often referred to New Hampshire as cow Hampshire. My mom moved to Manchester in 2004 which I protested, but now that I work full-time I now see what a lousy, mis-managed state Mass is and always has been.

Now I love NH.

“How about laws to prevent you from walking in to traffic?”
    i lol’d.

The law should prevent drivers of those vehicles from all damages caused by the jay-walker.

5. Ginger permalink
    June 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Man does Not need laws which Protect us from our Own stupidity such as seat belt laws etc. If you have a kid in the car the kid needs to be belted but as an adult I resent being told I must belt up.

6. Ed Ducy permalink
    June 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi. I live in Massachusetts & the state is beginning to become tyrannical & oppressive, esp. on Gun Laws. I am a retired Police Officer & retired Federal Police Officer. It appears that Ma. istrying to stop all ownership of firearms. 1 law that Ma. is trying to pass is an alledged “Armor Piercing Ammo Ban”, but when you read the law it looks like they are trying to ban ALL ammo. Another law they are trying to pass is that ALL gun owners will have to get gun owner insurance if you have a LTC firearms in the amount of $250,000, & on that insurance policy you MUST list ALL of your weapons (so the state is trying to create a gun registry of who owns weapons). I am also sick & tired of all of the taxes in Ma. So my question is: “How Free is NH?”

• June 21, 2011 8:56 pm

When it comes to the second amendment New Hampshire has some of the best gun laws in the nation. Anyone can buy a firearm after a five minute background check without a license. You can transport that firearm without a license in a vehicle as long as it is in the open and unloaded. You can also carry open without a license. A concealed carry permit costs $10 for five years and a background check with references will get you that permit in a matter of days. The Castle Doctrine is the law in New Hampshire and the legislature is actually debating expanding it as well as doing away with concealed carry permits, although they have tabled these talks for now.
      As far as taxes go, the property tax is high depending on the town, but there is no sales or income tax. Vehicle registrations are based on the value of the car so it can be expensive if you have a new car. COme on up to New Hampshire, we will welcome you!