The Swine Flu Hysteria is Out of Control

April 30, 2009

Enough is enough already. I am willing to promote and join the hysteria that is the Swine Flu as a means to finally secure the Mexican border, but seeing as how the border is not going to be closed it is time to put an end to this media created story. The jig is up.

When the story was first being reported about a swine flu that has mutated and was passed on to humans it was erroneously reported that over 150 Mexicans had died from the seemingly ultra deadly strain of flu. The media then reported that the first American had died from the swine flu as the disease rapidly spread across the country endangering the lives of untold hundreds of Americans.

The truth has come out now that eight total people have died from the swine flu and that the “American” death was actually a Mexican whose family was seeking medical care in the United States (and I thought our healthcare was lagging behind countries like Cuba) and not an American.

37,000 Americans die from non-swine flu every year and there have already been 55 American children killed by non-swine flu this year, so why all of the hysteria over the swine flu which has killed 8 people when the non-swine flu is actually deadlier? This was a trumped up media story from the beginning brought on by a slow news cycle and now it is out of control.

We now have the president saying that schools may have to close if anyone gets sick. The president and Janet Napolitano are saying that now is the time for concern, not panic. During last night’s press conference the president reminded us to wash our hands and cover our mouths when we cough, he told us to stay home if we are sick, treating us like we are little children. He assured us that he was monitoring the situation closely.

And to top it all off today the vice president said that Americans should stop flying and stop riding the subways and basically lock ourselves in the house and wait for the angel of death to hover over our houses and reclaim us.

This is all out of control now, this is THE FLU. It has claimed 8 lives while the regular flu claims thousands a year. It is time to chill the hell out. Today in my town while I was walking out of the store I actually saw a mother walking into the store with a child of about six years old– the mother had a surgical mask on her throat but not covering her mouth, but it was ready for action. Her child? No mask on, evidently she was concerned for her own safety but not of her child’s. The point is, we have not reached a point in this swine flu pandemic where people need to be walking around with masks on but that is the way the media has publicized this new strain of flew. To the contrary, the swine flu appears much less deadly than the non-swine flu and people don’t walk around worried about catching the non-swine flu every moment of their lives.

This is one of the biggest non-stories that has been thrust upon us in I don’t know how long.

Having said all of that if the swine flu is a means to an end to closing the Mexican border than disregard everything I just wrote. Its masks and tamiflu for everyone.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to FurlAdd to Newsvine

1. April 30, 2009 8:10 pm

Don’t forget, Mr. Pink Eyes, that Emmanuel never passes up a good “crisis.” This one is no different….

2. April 30, 2009 9:06 pm

Well, you can’t blame the media. That avian flu thing didn’t work out for them.

• May 1, 2009 5:11 am

I will give you that one, the media tried for years to make the avian flu into a big deal but it never took off.(Pardon the pun.) So they jumped at the chance to finally have a flew pandemic.

3. April 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Not that we need another reason to control our borders, but this, and any number of other health issues that traipse across the border every night is yet another reason. Fully armed National Guard on the border and Janet Napolitano in the unemployment line. We can start there.

4. April 30, 2009 10:48 pm

Mr. Pink Eyes,
    Unfortunately the swine flu isn’t a means to an end to close the Mexican border. Instead, Obama has said (one of his advisors came up with this, evidently) that closing the border is like closing the barn door after the horses already got out. No point in it. Which seems pretty stupid to me: more infected illegal aliens means more people being infected faster. But I’m glad to read your reasoning, about the regular flu being more of a problem. If only the Obama administration would see that (or should I say admit what they already know about it?)

• May 1, 2009 5:16 am

I know but I was still trying to be hopeful, the border will never be closed. It makes perfect sense that you would want to stop the possibility of more infected people coming here regardless if the infection is already here.
      I think they know that the regular flu is more of a problem but they want another crisis to manage.

5. Wellsy permalink
    April 30, 2009 11:38 pm

I’ve been trying to point out the same thing on my own blog. I work in the microbiology field, and the public, and especially the media, are woefully undereducated regarding microbes and public health. Swine flu would have to kill at least 1000 people before it would approach a reasonable percentage of those killed by “regular” flu. Granted, I don’t want a single death from swine flu, but numbers must be put in perspective.

• May 1, 2009 5:18 am

ANy death from the swine flu is tragic, but like you wrote we need some perspective here. This is getting out of control. There is an article in my paper this morning about stores in NH running out of masks. I may do a post on that tonight.

• May 1, 2009 5:19 am

And by getting out of control I mean the coverage and the hysteria and not the flu itself.

6. May 1, 2009 12:21 pm

In the event that H1N1 is a dud after all the media attention and frenzy (including the WHO’s raising the alert to Level 5), when the “big one” does come around, I have a hard time believing people will be inclined to listen. I really think that if our government were doing all they said they were, the border would be closed.

• May 1, 2009 5:38 pm

The boy who cried wolf.
      I agree with you, until they close the border they can’t be taken serious on this issue.