President Obama’s press conference on the Fort Hood shootings was disgusting

November 5, 2009

I would like to say that my thoughts are with all of the families who lost loved ones at Fort Hood today, as are the thoughts and prayers of all Americans.

I have been listening to the coverage since I found out about this tragedy and it is heartbreaking. I am still astonished and upset that this could happen on a base in the United States.

I am equally astonished at the president of the United States.

On my way home from work today I listened live to the press conference that President Obama held about the Fort Hood shootings and my first reaction was that I thought he didn’t know about the shootings.

Before he bothered to mention the shooting he gave a “shout out.”  In light of the grave events I found this to be in incredibly bad taste, in fact I was disgusted by it. President Obama showed more than just a serious lack of judgement, he showed a lack of any sense of dignity and caring for the families who have just lost their loved ones.

1. November 5, 2009 6:45 pm

He was addressing an audience of Native American tribal leaders. That was the purpose for his speech. You right-wingers will politicize anything.

• LD Jackson permalink
      November 5, 2009 8:16 pm

President Obama obviously knew about the shooting at Fort Hood before he took the podium. Yes, he was speaking to a conference of Native Americans, but it was almost as if he inserted the comments about the shooting into his remarks as an afterthought.

Now, I am of the opinion that we need to be as fair to the President as possible. That would be much fairer than liberals were to George W. Bush. Having said that, I have to wonder why he did not open his remarks with the shooting at Fort Hood, instead of waiting until the middle.

• November 5, 2009 8:41 pm

That is the impression that I got as well. He just inserted the comments on the shootings into his prepared remarks. It was extremely strange the way he led off with his original speech, changed to the shooting, and then returned to the original speech. The whole thing came off as very odd.

• November 5, 2009 8:37 pm

I don’t care what the original pupose of the speech was, as soon as the media was alerted that the president was going to talk about the shootings the conferences priorities changed. He showed a lreal ack of judgement.

2. Jay permalink
    November 5, 2009 10:00 pm

Let’s put it in this light. Go back to 9-11-2001. If President Bush had given a “shout out” to the teachers in Florida AFTER finding out about the WTC incident, what kind of public OUTCRY do you think there would have been? I’m not trying to take anything away from our Native Americans whatsoever, BUT 11 individuals were killed, and 31 more injured, individuals who fight to protect the freedoms that so many Americans, even Mr. Obama, take for granted and would rather throw away, then to take a minute to address the ideals and substances that make us a free thinking and strong nation.

• Mark permalink
      November 5, 2009 11:49 pm

As a retired Army First Sergeant from the 1st Cavalry Division on Fort Hood and currently living and working in the immediate Fort Hood area, I did not receive his comments as lacking judgement, he addressed his audience there at the conference and gave his shout to a member of his audience, Dr. Joe Medicine Crow – A CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR WINNER! Did you all miss that? The details were very sketchy at that time and we now know that the perpetrator is STILL ALIVE as reported by the Fort Hood Commanding General as well as the Civilian Police Officer who was the apparent 1st responder. It amazes me how people will twist his comments…there are people spreading things across the internet saying he gave a shout out to his cousin Pookie in Chicago! Amazing!

• November 6, 2009 5:36 am

That is so true. Talk about politicizing something, wasn’t much made of Bush delay after having been told the news and his leaving the classroom?

3. November 5, 2009 11:56 pm

This news obviously changed what he was going to say. We all know that when Obama strays from prepared speeches that he can be inappropriate.

4. Jay permalink
    November 6, 2009 6:26 am

Can you find me where he earned the Medal of Honor? The CMH website comes up with nothing under his name? I would like to know since he has earned several prestigious awards, and rightly so, but I’m not finding any proof that he has earned this one.

• November 7, 2009 6:13 am

You hit the nail on the head Jay. This man did not win the CHM. I will be posting about this issue later.

Here is the article.

5. Deb permalink
    November 6, 2009 7:24 pm

Disgusting is the perfect word for it. It wasn’t even (as I originally thought) the words “shout out”. It was the fact that he was trying to be clever and witty and to get a laugh, when he knew, HE KNEW, that soldiers were killed. I don’t care what “Ben Hoffman” or any other liberal says or thinks, Pres. Bush would NEVER have done that. Try to compare it all you want, you know it’s not true. I really could go on for quite a while on this subject, but people are hungry in my house. God bless those soldiers and their families, and God bless the police officers that stopped the shooter. And God will judge Nidal Hasan.

• November 6, 2009 7:38 pm

I got the impression also that he was trying to get a laugh. Disgusting isn’t even a strong enough word. When I wrote that at first I thought that Obama didn’t know I was serious. When I heard that press conference I thought that he hadn’t heard the news, then when he turned his attention to it as an after thought I was appaled. We all know that he has a disdain for the military but he trivialized the losses to those families in a manner that I still just can’t comprehend. This man is a disgrace.

6. Jay permalink
    November 6, 2009 11:49 pm

Disgraceful even more when the man doesn’t even know which medal he awarded to Mr. Joe Medicine Crow. There is a HUGE difference between the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Probably why this ACTIVE DUTY Senior Non-Commissioned Officer couldn’t find his name in the CMH database. Anyhow, this President is crass, disenchanted, out of touch and so far from what the American people want/need that it’s so disheartening it almost, ALMOST wants to make you laugh from crying so much.

• November 7, 2009 6:15 am

I am going to have a post about the fact that Joe Crow did not win the CMH, this president is a moron.

7. Ultrajones permalink
    November 8, 2009 4:44 am

You are mostly all scared fools. Your anger is evident. Your intelligence is questionable. HE SPELLED OUT how much he cares about our people. as usual, you hateful idiots are grasping at straws. I wonder why we, of higher mind, even bother with you, but then I remember. It is because we have higher minds that we know HOW to deal with your low monkey intellects. And deal we will, always.

• November 8, 2009 7:11 am

Because you are not willing to actually use the proper term to describe what happened at Fort Hood you are the one that is scared. You are hiding the truth somewhere deep inside.
      Perhaps if you are of “higher mind” you would be better of trying to educate the rest of us instead of insulting us.