John McCain wins easily in Arizona primary

August 25, 2010

John McCain has easily won the Arizona Republican primary and will now face re-election in November. This has to be considered a loss for the Tea Party movement no matter how you look at it. John McCain represents the exact type of politician that the Tea Party wants to see defeated.

In such an anti-incumbent atmosphere you would have thought the Tea Party movement would have been able to get out the vote and defeat John McCain, but that didn’t happen and now we are left to wonder if the voter angst that we hear so much about is going to be as big a factor as we believed it would be come November.

John McCain has always been on the wrong side of key issues; immigration reform, and cap and trade to name two issues. And then there is the fact that he once bemoaned the money in politics to the point where he teamed up with Russ Feingold to pass the campaign finance reform legislation which was recently ruled unconstitutional. I find it quite ironic that the man who once lamented the influx of big money in politics decided it was alright for him to spend $20 million on a primary election bid.

Over the course of the campaign John McCain slid further and further to the right, claiming that he was not–and never was–the maverick that he once so proudly called himself when he was able to use that label to win the Republican nomination for president. He did a 180 degree turn on illegal immigration and on cap and trade as he slowly maneuvered to the right in order to defeat Tea Party favorite J.D. Hayworth.

But which is the real John McCain? The John McCain of the 2010 election cycle or the John McCain of the last 20 plus years? I find it hard to believe that John McCain will not revert back to the RINO he has always been if he wins in November. He is who he is and if his maneuvering fooled the Arizona voters into thinking he was somebody he is not then they have nobody to blame but themselves. John McCain has a track record and he should not be trusted to have suddenly seen the conservative light. John McCain’s defeat of J.D. Hayworth makes passing Barack Obama’s amnesty plan one vote easier.

The Tea Party movement has had some ups and downs in this primary season, it is looking more and more like every state election is going to show us different results. But as the man who embodies what the next great debate is going to be about–amnesty for illegals–and with the coverage that Arizona’s immigration law has been getting, the fact that the Tea Party could not turn out enough voters to defeat him means that we still have allot of work to do before the November elections.

1. August 25, 2010 6:50 am

I was really hoping McCain would be defeated or at least, have a close call. It does make me wonder if all the hype about anti-establishment candidates will turn out to be true or false in November.

• August 25, 2010 12:39 pm

Larry, if it does turn out to be just hype, we are SO screwed… If the GOP can’t WIN, and win BIG in November, if the RNC can’t, or won’t dump that IDIOT Steele, this nation is about done for…

At least in any configuration we would recognize… 😦

• August 25, 2010 8:43 pm

I still think that we can win in November, but even if we do Steele has to go. We will win in spite of him, not because of him.

• August 25, 2010 8:42 pm

It is going to be interesting. It has been a mixed bag this primary season when it comes to anti-establishment candidates.

2. August 25, 2010 8:43 am

Everyone dislikes congress, but they like their own guy. Same as it ever was…

• August 25, 2010 8:42 pm

That is basically true, although I can’t stand my guy.

3. August 25, 2010 12:36 pm

John McCain is nothing more than an ass-kissing RINO…

He got all Conservative as soon as the election cycle started again, and as soon as it’s over, he’ll go right back to being an ass-kissing RINO, writing bills with Feingold and the like…

Arizona should be ashamed of itself…

• August 25, 2010 8:42 pm

I agree 100%!

4. August 25, 2010 6:54 pm

We can’t win them all, sadly. Then again, McCain spent $20,000,000. It would be hard for anyone to fight all of that green. This is going to be an ongoing process. It’s going to take several election cycles to accomplish what we want. We just need to keep pushing.

5. Lee permalink
    September 1, 2010 12:00 am

Does Arizona have a law that allows recalling of a state representative? If so, hold McCain’s feet to the fire, and if he strays from the conservative path, RECALL HIM! California did it with Gray Davis. I can’t stand John McCain. He is such a RINO! Sorry I couldn’t vote against him. I was so hoping that JD would win, but instead, the entire country got another slice of the worst government that money can buy.

• September 1, 2010 6:23 am

I don’t know it Arizona has a recall law or not. I have a feeling they do not.

6. Lee permalink
    September 1, 2010 12:23 am

And I forgot to add this: With all the trouble Arizona is having with illegal aliens, JD Hayworth would have been Governor Jan Brewer’s top supporter, but SHE and tea party favorite, SARAH PALIN campaigned for McCain. Even the sheriff of Pinal County supported him, and he’s always on Fox News complaining about the illegal aliens. I don’t understand their positions at all. Is this some sort of political payback to McCain?

Other than launching Palin’s political career, what has McCain done for her or for Brewer and Babeu? I think I’ll take a trip up to FEC.gov or MapLight and find out who’s giving money to McCain and who he’s been supporting with his money.(Or his wife’s money) The money trail can tell a lot about a politician.

As far as JD not having enough money to get out the word about his conservatism, I’m not from Arizona, but I heard him some years ago when he was in Congress discussing the illegals, and I was so impressed with his strong position against illegal immigration, that was all it took for me to know who he was. And he’s also on talk radio. So why would voters have to be reminded over and over again about JD’s character and his position on the issues?

I’m with all of you who posted before me. We have to keep pushing.

7. 1776blues permalink
    September 5, 2010 2:04 pm

The monopoly that the two parties have still manages to fool the voters; if anyone believes that the Democrats and Republicans are different may I remind you of the 6 years Bush and company had control.

The false left right paradigm is alive and well. As much as I dislike the Democrats my dislike for the Republicans is equal.

What did Carroll Quigley have to say?

Tragedy and Hope, page 950

“The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideas and policies, one, perhaps, of the Right, the other of the left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to the doctrinaire and academic thinkers…Instead the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can ‘throw the rascals out’ at any election without leading to any profound or extreme shifts in policy.”