Gunrunner: John McCain requests a Senate hearing on Fast and Furious

September 8, 2011

As more details emerge about the deadly Operation Gunrunner scandal–the latest being the news that the ATF authorized the illegal sale of weapons to gang bangers in Indiana, some of which have turned up at crime scenes–John McCain has requested that the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee open up a second investigation into this scandal.

He is also requesting that Eric Holder, Janet Napolitano, and Todd Jones be called upon to testify as witnesses under oath. While it is encouraging to see more of our elected officials taking an interest in the Gunrunner scandal I don’t think that his request will amount to anything because the Senate is still controlled by Democrats. And it goes without saying that it is most likely the Democrats will put party ahead of country–to use Barack Obama’s term levied at Republicans–and decline to open an investigation into Gunrunner.

If I am right and Democrats do decline this request in order to protect Dear Leader and his regime from embarrassment and possibly prosecution it will illustrate how important it is for Darrell Issa to conclude his investigation and hand it over to a special prosecutor before the next election. I believe that Eric Holder is stonewalling this investigation for the purpose of dragging it out past the next election in the hope that the Democrats will win back the House and drop the investigation–or appoint a friendly special prosecutor–and this cannot be allowed to happen.

1. September 8, 2011 10:44 pm

Wait… Is McCain up for election or something?

2. LD Jackson permalink
    September 9, 2011 5:40 am

It seems to me that the more this operation is uncovered, the bigger it gets. I keep waiting for Darrell Issa to set up a special prosecutor.

3. September 9, 2011 2:17 pm

Let the stonewalling begin.

McCain is a funny one. People either love him or hate him. Some people do both at the same time.

I am troubled that Reid or Pelosi isn’t threatening to “get to the bottom” of this. You can bet if a gun store was doing these things they would DEMAND answers.

• Lou222 permalink
      September 9, 2011 5:56 pm

Harrison, sounds like the gun stores unwillingly helped. Can you imagine the administration telling them they HAD to sell to people they knew should not be receiving the guns? The position they put those store owners in alone, should be enough to bust their *sses! It amazes me that not too many people are worried about the dirty dealing. They won’t be until it personally affects them, but then it will be too late. One word, “complacency”! As for Senator McCain, I really have nothinig to say about him other than he knows when he needs to give a little “shout out” and be recognized…pretty sad, isn’t it?

• September 9, 2011 9:21 pm

So much for “draining the swamp.”

4. bunkerville permalink
    September 9, 2011 4:52 pm

The MSM cannot deny this story for ever. We now have Holder stating publicly he did not know anything about it. One thing that is happening as happens often, it is the lying that does them in. Here is hoping. Thanks for keeping up with this story.

• Deb permalink
      September 9, 2011 5:54 pm

Not forever— just until they figure out how to blame it on the Bush admin.

• September 9, 2011 9:23 pm

Good point, perhaps Bush’s policies forced them into this deadly scandal. 🙂

• Lou222 permalink
      September 9, 2011 5:57 pm

Makes you wonder if he is above the law or just plain “stupid”!

• September 9, 2011 9:23 pm

Yes, the coverup and the lying is what could be Eric Holder’s undoing.
      You are welcome; I sometimes feel as if I am writing too much about this while ignoring other issues but this could turn out to be the biggest scandal in US history.

• Lou222 permalink
        September 9, 2011 9:29 pm

Ya, and we were there! Nothing about this administration suprises me anymore. I just sit here shaking my head the more I read.

• September 10, 2011 6:55 am

That is basically what I do when I read a new story; shake my head in amazement.

5. September 10, 2011 1:21 am

Brit Hume said this will make Watergate look small. I think the more that is discovered the more this is going to force the hand of congress to really do something. Maybe John McCain sees the writing on the wall.

• September 10, 2011 6:56 am

You would think that as this scanadal grows the calls for a Senate investigation will grow louder, McCain started the ball rolling and at least we will get those that oppose a hearing on the record.

• Lou222 permalink
      September 10, 2011 7:58 am

John, Senator McCain is an old dog, but I think he knows, as you agree that he better step out and start making some noise. Watergate is nothing in comparison, is it? I just think that none of them want to upset the apple cart, you know what happens when one of them “steps out of line”. The media attacks them viciously with whatever they can come up with. I guess I can see why no one really wants to say much. On the other hand, they were put there for the good of the people, not to keep their mouths shut and just go along with the flow. Maybe we will start to see what some of them are made of with this investigation. I like your thinking on this.