Is Barack Obama beginning to soften his stance on Syria?

September 6, 2013

Having failed to win over the international community, and with opposition growing in the House and with the American people (read the electorate) it seems as if Barack Obama may be slowly backing down from his decision to bomb Syria.

When asked whether he would attack Syria without the support of the Congress it appeared as if the president took the opportunity to back down just a bit.

President Barack Obama hinted Friday that he might not strike Syria if Congress rejects his authorization request.

“I’m not itching for military action… and if there are good ideas that are worth pursuing, then I’m going to be open to them,” he told one reporter who asked if he was seeking alternatives to a missile strike.

I am listening to all these ideas, and some of them are constructive,” he said.

“My goal is to maintain the international norm on banning chemical weapons. I want that enforcement to be real… I want people to understand that gassing innocent people, you know, delivering chemical weapons against children, is not something we do,” he said.

As I said last night, I was elected to end wars, not start them,” he said. “I’ve spent the last four and a half years doing everything I can to reduce our reliance on military power as a means of meeting our international obligations and protecting the American people

First let me ask this: Do you find it as interesting as I do that Barack Obama said that it is important the world understands that using chemical weapons is not something WE do? As far as I know, WE didn’t use chemical weapons. That is an interesting slip of the tongue, isn’t it? It is almost as if he is identifying himself with the al-Qaeda rebels he so desperately wants the United States to support. Anyway, that is just food for thought.

On Tuesday Barack Obama is set to make an address to any American who is still paying attention to what he has to say and it will be interesting to hear what he has to say and how he plays his hand.

Is he going to use this address to make one final pitch to the American people on why we need to bomb Syria, or will he use it to back down while trying to save face by claiming he has listened to the American people?

Personally I do not think he will back down, he is too much of a  megalomaniac, I think he will use this speech to try to convince the American people that he knows what is best for us and tell us that we should trust him, while at the same time trying to pressure the Congress into supporting him.

If the Congress does not authorize taking action in Syria Barack Obama will delay for awhile, in an attempt to appear as if he is debating the options when in fact his mind was made up all along, and then he will announce he has no choice to bomb Syria because the Congress failed to come up with a better plan. This is all part of the game he is playing.

1. September 6, 2013 7:49 pm

Reblogged this on Reality Check and commented:
    Yeah, right he’s not itching for a fight using HIS military…. lying sack of excrement.

2. September 6, 2013 8:01 pm

Personally I don’t think Obama ever had any intention of attacking Syria. He has put himself into a box with that infamous “red line” remark and it took him a while to figure a way out. He knew full well that by punting to Congress they wouldn’t support what he claimed was his plan, but they are falling right into line with it. His team checks the polls and knew exactly what to expect from Congress. Now, not only does he not have to attack Syria, but should Assad use WMD’s again Obama will simply put the blame on Congress. As I see it his plan is working just as he intended.

• September 6, 2013 8:31 pm

That is a good point Ron, this will give Obama the out and allow him to say the Congress wasn’t as gutsy as he was.

• September 6, 2013 11:58 pm

I’m absolutely in agreement and said that from the beginning. What he hasn’t quite figured out, or hasn’t made up his mind, is how to blame the Republicans/Conservatives/Tea Party yet to gain political leverage.

Truthfully, I wonder if he and his administration delivered chemical weapons that were used.

This whole comment ‘I want people to understand that gassing innocent people, you know, delivering chemical weapons against children, is not something we do,” just doesn’t sound right in my opinion. Just who is ‘we’.

• September 7, 2013 7:27 am

That ‘we’ was certainly strange, where did that slip come from?
        You are probably right, Obama is now buying time to find away to spin himself out of this.

3. September 6, 2013 8:21 pm

Reblogged this on Brittius.com.

• September 6, 2013 8:32 pm

Keep spreading the word my friend.

• September 6, 2013 8:35 pm

I shall, Steve.
        I feel like a mixture of Sherlock Holmes, Ben Franklin, and I don’t know, some armchair general or broken down old soldier; something. Very exhausting, might I add.

• September 6, 2013 9:04 pm

I know you will and I know how you feel. It is tiring trying to keep up with what is going on in Washington these days!

4. September 6, 2013 8:29 pm

He wants to make a name for himself in history, but he knows it might lead to impeachment and possibly war crime allegations as Syria did not attack the US nor is it about to attack the US, and he is not defending a third party nation from attack by Syria.
    World War-III. He would really be a clown if he attacks Syria, or has US troops fight alongside of al-Qaeda extremists. Kerry is reduced to dogshit status. Obama has to make this decision on his own, and he knows this. Notice how he already started the jive-turkey shim-sham and backpedaling.

• September 6, 2013 8:33 pm

Yeah, Obama really undercut Kerry’s credibility by sending him out there to make the case for war only to back down the next day. Obama looks like a fool, but Kerry might look like a bigger fool!

5. September 6, 2013 9:55 pm

If he has to back down, everything that happens in Syria will be the fault of Congress. That is preferable to getting the US mixed up in this Middle East (Muslim) conflict. However, Obama has never developed a taste for crow, he will look for some other excuse and the next time he won’t ask permission.

• September 7, 2013 7:29 am

The only problem this plan, for Obama, is that the people won’t blame the Congress for stopping him, they will credit them for it. And his credibility and leadership will be ruined.

6. Petermc3 permalink
    September 6, 2013 10:09 pm

For first time in my life I find myself rooting for a Russian leader to chew up and spit out an American president. His greatest accomplishment has been to divide this country along every fracture plane possible. Even the pusillanimous Jimmy Carter, during whose tenure mortgage rates hovered at 15-20% and car loans the same along with a complete loss of this country’s esteem and respect around the globe, did not even come close to dissembling our nation the way this out of the closet Islamist is now doing. I am not yet convinced that he can’t slither like the snake he is out of this ridiculous unnecessary mess in which he finds himself. Give him credit for having the ability to talk his way through this unscathed.

• September 7, 2013 7:30 am

You know the world is backwards when an American seeks asylum in Russia, but that is what America has been reduced to.

September 7, 2013 3:52 pm

Pretty sad state of affairs when one has to cheer on another countries leader, isn’t it? We dislike what Obama is doing so much that we are willing to do this, it should tell him something. Obama is way out of his league, if he doesn’t have a script in front of him. The rest of the Administration is not up to taking on Putin, either. They think they are, but they will be sorely mistaken. I trust what Putin says he will do, HE WILL DO! This could escalate very quickly and we will be right in the middle of shit and Obama will be pointing the finger at Congress and US! Then he will move on and never take any of the blame for the mess that HE has caused.

• September 7, 2013 8:20 pm

It is a sad state of affairs, we may not like what Putin says but at least we know he means what he says and that is more than we can say for the Dear Leader.

7. September 6, 2013 10:10 pm

My guess they will slow walk this. Pelosi said something about it could be several months until it got to a vote. Just like all his other scandals. But the press is catching on, so one positive thing.

• September 7, 2013 7:32 am

I hadn’t heard that but I would not be surprised if this slowly fades from view as they try to pretend as if it never happened. Yes, maybe the press will finally turn, I think this issue really hurt Obama with his supporters and for the first time they may be wondering why they voted for him.

September 7, 2013 3:59 pm

Bunker, maybe they are really not all THAT concerned about those “children” after all. I mean, really, how many could be killed in another several months? Something that was crucial that we take care of NOW without Congressional approval, now being put on the back burner, for, oh, say, 5 or 6 months and brought up as an after thought, must have not been that big of a deal. Right? Makes no sense, does it? It did just not have the WOW factor for Dear Leader, so he will fade out on this and bring in another major catastrophe probably by next week for the media to focus on. Problem I see, he brought Putin into the situation, that was a bad call on Obamas part…not sure how this will play out. Guess when you cry “wolf” so many times, at one point, you have to deal with it, is this Obamas “wolf”????

• September 7, 2013 6:14 pm

Putin is playing him like a fiddle and the scary part is that I am enjoying it.

September 7, 2013 7:46 pm

That is really sad when you think about it! We do not even like Putin, but we like our President even less. Whose fault is that?

• September 7, 2013 8:21 pm

That is a good point Lou, if they really were doing this for the children they wouldn’t be willing to put this off while putting more children in danger.

• September 7, 2013 8:23 pm

Yes, for some reason it is enjoyable to see Putin outplaying Obama on this and it shows us just how over his head Obama really is. Lou said it, it is sad!

8. September 6, 2013 11:52 pm

Not something ‘we’do, yes…but I think this ‘delivering chemical weapons against children’ is even more interesting.’ Delivering chemical weapons against children, is not something we do’ ….Delivering….

9. cheryl7764 permalink
    September 9, 2013 4:57 pm

Perhaps Obama realizes now that he can’t trust his Muslim Bros! The Muslims Bros showed the world that they could care less who dies as long as their side wins! Obama had already put it out there that he supports the Muslim Bros, so admitting that WMD were delivered shouldn’t be such a surprise really. The Bros couldn’t let all that Sarin go to waste! That was their way of showing whos in charge!