A Mexican military helicopter flies into the United States and fires on Border Patrol agents

June 27, 2014

It is being reported that a Mexican military helicopter flew into United States airspace and fired on two Border Patrol agents

Border Patrol agents in Arizona were reportedly fired upon by a Mexican military helicopter that traveled across the border.

Mexican authorities were conducting a drug interdiction operation when the incident happened early Thursday morning on the Tohono O’odham Indian Nation. The Mexican chopper fired at the agents and then flew back into Mexico.

According to this article the Border Patrol has confirmed an incident did indeed take place:

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol provided Breitbart Texas with a statement that said, “At approximately 5:45 a.m. Thursday morning, a Mexican law enforcement helicopter crossed approximately 100 yards north into Arizona nearly 8 miles southwest of the Village of San Miguel on the Tohono O’odham Indian Nation while on a law enforcement operation near the border. Two shots were fired from the helicopter but no injuries or damage to U.S. property were reported. The incident is currently under investigation.”

This statement stops short of claiming Border Patrol agents were fired upon and Mexico is denying it fired on the Border Patrol and has apologized several times for the mistake.

This investigation is still ongoing and we still do not know what really happened so I am withholding judgement at this time. This could have been a mistake, but while we are on the subject of mistakes, a United States marine is rotting in a Mexican jail for accidentally taking a wrong turn into Mexico with three legally owned weapons. Wouldn’t it be a show of good faith by Mexico to release this marine in light of this if it was truly a mistake?

1. sonnyinaz permalink
    June 27, 2014 8:00 pm

This is more than what I’ve heard. The reports didn’t mention border patrol being involved in any way. Thus far articles are only stating that the chopper (military) crossed over the Arizona border and shots were fired, but no mention at all as to what the intended target was…

• June 28, 2014 7:17 am

Yeah, I have seem several stories which say BP was fired at. But then BP confirmed the copter came into airspace and fired, but they did not confirm it was at any agents.

2. June 27, 2014 8:03 pm

The federales probably thought the american border patrol agents were trying to stop Honduran and Guatemala n pre-schoolers from crossing the border so what choice did they have but to harass the gringos.

3. Paul Lemmen permalink
    June 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Reblogged this on Dead Citizen's Rights Society.

4. June 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Fox had on the head of the Border agents union – i believe that was who it was- he has been on Fox a number o times. He confirmed it and said it is not the first time.
    Meanwhile our soldier rots in a mexican jail.

• June 28, 2014 7:21 am

Did he confirm the agents were shot at as well? The story I saw had them confirming the incident but didn’t confirm agents were shot at.

• June 28, 2014 7:24 am

I don’t believe the confirmation was that they knew who they were shooting at. Other than that, shots were fired their way as I understood it. I know he said it happened before.

• June 28, 2014 7:30 am

So this is happening repeatedly and not too long ago didn’t Mexican troops come over the border? And yet nobody in Washington has the guts to stand up and condemn it, what is it going to take? And on top of that they want to give amnesty out.

5. June 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Eh . . . at this point, the story is that Mexico has admitted wrongdoing and apologized. Apparently nobody’s been hurt. Mistake happen – I remember President Clinton officially apologized to China when we accidentally bombed their embassy in Syria.

As to the American fellow in a Mexican jail – he used to be a Marine, true, but he wasn’t on active duty when he drove his pickup with loaded firearms into Mexican territory in violation of their laws, and he certainly wasn’t in uniform. He’s in jail awaiting trial. If a former member of the Mexican military drove into Arizona with a pickup full of loaded firearms, everyone would be howling for blood, and if he were released to the Mexicans with a “no harm, ho foul” handshake, people would be marching on the White House with torches and pitchforks . . .

But releasing him as a way of apologizing for the helicopter incursion would be a neat way to close out two uncomfortable incidents.

Take good care and may God bless us all!

TGY

• June 28, 2014 7:24 am

Yeah, you will note in my post that Mexico claimed this was a mistake and apologized. As for what would happen if the US released a Mexican who came into America illegally while carrying weapons, well, the way things are at the border I am not sure we would have arrested him in the first place…..

• June 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Eh, conjecture and sarcasm . . . nevertheless, it sounds as if at least some people here think that once someone’s worn an American military uniform, he or she can do no wrong, or if they do, they should be forgiven immediately. Sounds kind of like “above the law” to me.

TGC and may God bless us all!

TGY

• June 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Yeah, it was sarcasm but I couldn’t help myself. The temptation was too hard to resist. I didn’t write much about the Berdahl story and what I did write was not about his alleged desertion, but I would bet that most people here do think he did wrong. And I don’t think they are willing to forgive him.

6. June 27, 2014 9:53 pm

Remember when an american would give a fellow american the benefit of the doubt? May the libtards never need the protection of a US Marine, ex or otherwise.

• June 28, 2014 2:25 pm

It has nothing to do with the benefit of the doubt – it has to do with respecting the laws of other nations and if innocent mistakes are made, letting the two systems work things out. Or are you suggesting that every criminal who’s in a US prison who’s also a veteran should be released?

By the way, I guess i understand your need for namecalling, but you should understand that no matter how good a case you might make, or how strong your arguments, you strip yourself of any credibility when you resort to it.

And may God bless us all!

TGY

7. Bruce permalink
    June 27, 2014 11:09 pm

We have all looked up to the sky to watch as a few very small birds were able to pick at and annoy some very large and strong bird. They just keep picking and poking at the big bird until he gives in and goes away. I think that is what most of the world is hoping the US will do.

8. June 28, 2014 12:15 am

How do you “accidentally” fire on border patrol agents?

• June 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Easy – you’re chasing bad guys, you fire on them, and there are DP agents in the area. Or you lose sight of the bad guys, and then see movement and fire, but it’s not the bad guys, it’s USBP.

How do you suppose we accidentally fired a missile at the Chinese embassy in Syra? Or did we do that on purpose?

TGY

• June 28, 2014 3:37 pm

It could have been a mistake and at this point we don’t even know if BP was in the area. The BP has confirmed shots were fired but they have not said they were fired at BP agents. However, there is still the issue of a Mexican helicopter being in American airspace.

• June 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Yes – and from what I understand, this isn’t the first time Mexican military and law enforcement aircraft have trespassed on US airspace. What do you (or the others here) propose we do about it?

TGY

• June 30, 2014 6:57 pm

Well, today Barack Obama announced he would reallocate resources to the border, that is a good start and that is where the resources should be concentrated. I would also say we need a small military presence on the border, not to fire on helicopters if it happens again but rather to dissuade Mexico from doing this again. Also, John Kerry should meet with Mexico to discuss this issue to let them know this type of thing needs to stop. Luckily nobody was hurt but as you said, this is not the first time it has happened and so it is something which needs to be addressed.

• June 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Mr. lgbmiel: Thanks for your response.

I don’t think Mexico recognizes much of a difference between carrying one illegal firearm or many in one’s truck. The fact is, Mr. Tahmooressi illegally crossed the border into Mexico with what that nation considers contraband. I’m inclined to believe his statement that it was inadvertant, although I’d like to know a bit more about the road he used – are there really unguarded and unmarked roads into Mexico in the vicinity of San Ysidro? Or did he go offroad? At any rate, I don’t think any police officer, under such circumstances, should have the leverl of discretion to let the man go.

Anyway, it seems to me as if things are happening as they should – he’s insisting he made a mistake, they’re insisting their law was broken, and so they’re going to have a judicial proceeding. Unless they can come up with more proof that he had some criminal intent, I’m thinking that he’ll be released pretty quickly, although perhaps with a suspended sentence and a warning never to return.

Thanks again. Take good care and may God bless us all!

TGY

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek permalink
        June 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Mr. yankee,

First, you can’t tell from my picture that I am female?

My comment didn’t refer to the actions of the Mexican government. My comment referred to YOUR assertion that the Marine had ‘…a truck full of loaded firearms…’

He did not.

• June 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Sounds like a good first step, Steve.

• June 30, 2014 11:07 pm

LOL – I used to assume that the pictures in these avatars were of the posters, and I got burned a few times. So now, no, I didn’t assume that you were a woman, and with a name like lgbmiel, I just defaulted to Mr. Deepest apologies if I offended you.

Of course his truck wasn’t bristling with firearms – he had what he claims were three personal firearms. In this case, I figured if people were going to push the envelope in one direction (“Marine” used as if the fellow were on active duty and in uniform, as in “They captures one of our Marines!”), I’d push back in the other.

My point stands, though – I doubt Mexican law makes a distinction between three and a few dozen firearms. I also think that if the fellow’s telling the truth, he’ll be back on this side of the border before long.

Take good care and may God bless us all!

TGY

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek permalink
        July 1, 2014 12:06 am

No offense taken at all. I usually post under my name. Don’t know how it changed.

I never disputed your point regarding the Mexican authorities, just your exaggeration concerning the firearms. A little hyperbole every now and then is a good thing. 😉

• July 1, 2014 5:56 am

Well Laura, you got your name back. I was wondering what happened there!
        TGY, I did not mean to imply this was an active duty marine but after looking back at this post that is exactly what it looks like I was saying.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek permalink
        July 1, 2014 6:07 am

I wanted to use a picture of me as my avatar. To do that, I had to create a wordpress acct. That’s where the ‘lgbmiel’ comes from. I have no clue how it switched from my name to my user name.

“Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi is a 25-year-old US Marine reservist. He served four years in the Marines and did two tours in Afghanistan before finishing active duty in 2012. He said he was honorably discharged in November 2012, according to the Associated Press.”

A Marine reservist.

• July 1, 2014 6:29 am

So the truth is in the middle; he is not active duty but he is not an ex-marine either.

9. June 28, 2014 7:27 am

I guess he had an itchy trigger finger.

10. lgbmiel permalink
    June 29, 2014 9:38 am

But, but, but Steeeve, they apologized….all better now. 😉

• June 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Move along, nothing to see here…..

• June 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Rather than sneering about the Mexicans’ apology, perhaps you’d care to suggest an alternative course of action? Oh, yeah – release someone who was found in Mexican territory with a truck full of loaded firearms, because he used to serve in the marines. Perhaps next time it won’t be firearms in the truck, but crystal meth . . . but hey, he didn’t mean it . . .

TGY

• lgbmiel permalink
        June 30, 2014 1:40 pm

Mr. yankee,

You have misunderstood. My sneer was not regarding the apology. My ‘sneer’ was for those who believe an apology from Mexico makes their trespass into a sovereign Country’s territory ‘all better now.’

A ‘truck full of loaded firearms?’ Did I miss an article stating our Marine had a ‘truck full of loaded firearms?’

Here is a CNN article regarding the incident:

“Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi said he accidentally crossed into Mexico around 10 p.m. on March 31 with three personal firearms while on his way to meet friends in San Ysidro, California.”

” “I accidentally drove into Mexico with 3 guns … a rifle (AR-15), a .45 cal pistol and a 12 gauge pump shotgun with no intensions (sic) on being in Mexico or being involved in any criminal activities,” Tahmooressi wrote in a statement of innocence to U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter. “I have rights to all 3 weapons. They are under my name … Please help me.” ”

Or, perhaps you were referring to a DIFFERENT Marine….?

An article regarding Sgt Tahmooressi’s hiring of a new lawyer, “…well-known Mexican defense attorney Fernando Benitez Alvarez del Castillo.”

• June 30, 2014 7:00 pm

It was I who suggested releasing the marine as a show of good faith and in your first comment here you said it would be a neat way to tidy up two issues at the same time.

• June 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Yes I did, and yes you did. My sneer was more in response to what I see as jingoistic calls to action because Mexican police arrested someone who used to be in the Marines. I still think it would be a neat and convenient solution to the problem, but I don’t think we (the US) is in a position to demand the release – nor should we, because it would appear that we’re condoning lawbreaking.

There may be a bit more to that fellow’s story, by the way. I did a bit of research and something didn’t seem quite right about it.