Underwater robot confirms Antarctic ice is thicker than previously estimated

November 27, 2014

Climate-Scientists-Stuck-on-Antarctic-IceThis will not come as a shock to the climate scientists who last December took a trip to the Antarctic to prove the  ice caps were melting only to get stuck in the non-existent ice,  but a British underwater robot has completed two expeditions under the Antarctic ice and has confirmed that it is thicker than the previous estimates.

Here is more:

“Our surveys indicate that the floes are much thicker and more deformed than reported by most drilling and ship-based measurements of Antarctic sea ice,” the team reported in the journal Nature Geoscience on Monday.

“Mean drafts range from 1.4 to 5.5 metres, with maxima up to 16 metres.

“We suggest that thick ice in the near-coastal and interior pack may be under-represented in existing in situ assessments of Antarctic sea ice and hence, on average, Antarctic sea ice may be thicker than previously thought.”

The survey was carried out by an autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV), dubbed SeaBED, which has spent the past four years surveying 500,000 square metres of ice thicknesses in the Weddell, Bellingshausen and Wilkes Land sections of Antarctica for British, US and Australian scientists.

Undeterred from their plight the climate scientists aboard the Australasian Antarctic Expedition which was stuck in the ice tried to claim that the fact they found ice where it was not expected was more proof that global warming exists and I am sure the authors of this study at Nature Geoscience are somehow going to make the same claim.

1. November 27, 2014 9:29 am

It is getting harder for them to spin their faux science without getting dizzy, isn’t it?

Hoping you and yours have a great Thanksgiving Day, Steve!

• November 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks Jim, we had a great Thanksgiving and I hope you did as well!

2. November 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Reblogged this on Cold Dead Hands Days and commented:
    Suck it Gore!

• November 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Thank you!

November 27, 2014 3:42 pm

Is it global warming or global cooling? I forget! Al Gore has sure made alot of money off of suckers that are easily deceived! How about just the plain evolution of Mother Earth? I doubt we have much to do with how she functions!
    Steve, I just heard about New Hampshire and the snow and power outages, how you are all safe. Have a Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of my fellow bloggers here!

• November 27, 2014 7:33 pm

It is now global climate disruption because that covers it all, what a joke!
      We lost our power last night at 8:00, shortly after I finished my last post, but we got it back around 11:00 so it wasn’t that bad. Very heavy snow took out many branches and trees but we had a great Thanksgiving and I hope you did as well. I was going to respond to your latest email last night but then we lost power, I will reply to you tomorrow as I figured you would be busy today.

November 28, 2014 11:50 am

We had the family here for 5 days, (with 2 little ones), it was mass chaos and I am an ORGANIZED person, so that went out the window while they were all here. I cooked a big t-day dinner for Wednesday, they had to leave Thursday and be on the road home. We had a great visit, but always a busy time. Glad you had power back on, but am pretty sure you either have a fireplace with lots of wood OR a generator OR both. We are set up for whatever happens here, you have to be. About 5 years ago, we had a major ice storm that took out so many of the trees, you could hear a “snap” and you knew another one was coming down. It looked like a tornado had come thru by the time it was done, makes you sick to see that. We were also without power for about 5 days, so that can be interesting and you find out how many of your friends have NOT prepared for such times. Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving!

• November 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving Lou! We do have a fireplace but I could not get the generator started. Some in NH are going to be without power until Monday so I am one of the lucky ones.
        I took the generator apart today and cleaned out the carburetor, it was pretty gummed up, but I will not be putting it back together until tomorrow. I hope it works, if not I am going to have to call in a professional because I am out of my league here.

November 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Alot of times it is the old gas that was not run out of it…it pays to get it up and running in the fall, but doesn’t always happen, does it? Hope it starts for you tomorrow. Last winter we had a power outage, hubby was gone, I got the generator out and switched over to run the generator and isolated it from the main circuit box in case the power came back on…(we have a separate circuit box out in the garage for just when we are running the generator), each time I started it, it stopped,,,called him, he said it was full of gas (I didn’t question that), but it would not stay running….I actually checked and it was NOT full of gas,(guess he forgot to do it), I filled it up, it started like a charm! Go figure!

• November 29, 2014 8:58 am

LOL! At least that was an easy fix for you! Several times during the Summer and Fall I thought about starting the generator to make sure it it was okay but something else always seemed more important at the time. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way!

• November 29, 2014 3:49 pm

Well after taking the carburetor apart three times I finally got it running! Every time I took it apart it was bone dry so I knew the problem was there somewhere but I had no idea how many tiny holes there were in all those little parts. As I kept cleaning I eventually uncovered holes I did not see the other times I took it apart because it was so gummed up.

November 29, 2014 4:22 pm

It doesn’t hurt to soak the parts for awhile, but sometimes you have “less” parts when you try and put them back together when they are tiny or you forget where they go, haha! Glad it is running for the next time you need it. Kind of like the snow blower/thrower, oh wait, we don’t have one now, I have to shovel my way out…guess I am glad I live in the mid-west and not out east where you get alot more snow.

• November 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Yeah, soaking the small parts is what eventually enabled me to find these small holes which were clogged. After a general cleaning they were still so clogged that I didn’t know they were there. Luckily the snow blower started because the snow was very heavy.
        Next on the agenda will be the power washer because I had trouble with it in the Spring but had no idea how to fix it, now I think I might be able to get it running again. That can wait until it is warmer out though.

4. November 27, 2014 8:03 pm

Reblogged this on Jessica A Bruno (waybeyondfedup).

• November 27, 2014 9:31 pm