Sunday, October 25th open thread: ‘Faith’

October 25, 2015

open-thread Here is the open thread for Sunday, October 25th. Please feel free to post links to interesting articles and to discuss whatever issues arise during the course of the day. Nothing is off-topic here.

Last week we only covered 6 stories but did you miss any of them? If so there is an easy way to make sure it does not happen again. I understand that all of you are busy and cannot always find the time to check the blog for updates so why not subscribe to America’s Watchtower and receive email updates whenever I write a new post? That is the easiest way to follow the blog to ensure you never miss another post.

In addition to subscribing you can also follow America’s Watchtower on Facebook and Twitter by clicking the links on the right. But you will get more than that for I often post links to articles I probably will not be writing about so it is a great way to keep up with what is happening.

The Twitter widget in the sidebar is fully interactive. This widget updates my tweets in real time and allows you to respond to or retweet my tweets right from the blog. It also allows you to tweet me right from America’s Watchtower. How cool is that! If you do not have a Twitter account what better reason do you need to sign up for one!

Well, my surgery is only a few days away and it is funny because after months of making a conscious effort to appreciate every single day and trying not to take any of them for granted I now find myself just wanting to get this whole thing over with as soon as possible. I am sure when Tuesday night rolls around I won’t feel the same way…

Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers.

I thought for the musical selection today I would post my favorite song from my favorite band so I dug around looking for an older live version of the song but could not find one that I was happy with. In the one version I found which I was going to share it appears as if Robert Smith might have forgotten some of the lyrics as he began mumbling a couple of times, so I have decided to go with a newer version.

Here is The Cure performing “Faith” in 2011. The song is not actually about faith but rather about feeling alone, desolate, depressed, and feeling as if you have nowhere to turn in your darkest hour but I just want to say that there is somewhere you can turn but you do have to seek Him.

Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find it, knock and the door will be opened to you–Matthew 7:7

1. October 25, 2015 8:20 am

Know my thoughts and prayers are with you.

• October 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

2. October 25, 2015 8:23 am

Hello Steve, Faith in Good Faith is an excellent Album !

A Bit Gore … Al Gore..
    GRAUZONE – EISBAER

• October 25, 2015 1:25 pm

Interesting visuals Swiss! Pretty neat!

October 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Hey SDL, that was interesting….leave it to YOU to post it! 😉

• October 25, 2015 7:18 pm

I will second what Zip and Lou said!

3. petermc3 permalink
    October 25, 2015 9:03 am

…just think about all of us out here who you have never met who are thinking of you and praying for you.

• October 25, 2015 7:18 pm

Thank you so much Peter!

4. October 25, 2015 9:08 am

Faith, requires a Positive Action, to make it work. TENACITY.

• October 25, 2015 7:19 pm

I hear you there and I intend to work on it very hard!

• October 25, 2015 7:58 pm

I want you to go into the bathroom and get your face real close to the mirror.
        Lean forward and look yourself directly into your pupils.
        Fill your lungs with air, and shout into your reflection (keep looking into your pupils), “OhRah!”. Build it up to, “O-H-R-A-A-A-H-H-H!!!” (Bayonet Charge).
        Do it a dozen times, and you will understand the USMC way of training for direct combat engagement.
        Works wonders.

• October 26, 2015 5:33 am

I will give it a try but I think I had better wait until my wife is awake first! 🙂

October 25, 2015 10:44 am

There are many of us that consider you “friend”, so you have family AND friends keeping you in their thoughts and prayers….what better way to face your surgery!! As I told you, we will “hold down the fort” while you are recovering. You will have alot of reading to do when you are up to it, to catch up. You know WE are relentless! 😉

• October 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks Lou, I appreciate it and I know you guys will keep it going. At least I will have plenty of time to catch up! 🙂

6. October 25, 2015 1:22 pm

God given Faith is taking God at His word – believing Him – and that’s what gave you that needed peace and confidence Steve to face and go thru with this surgery. Plus, having a support network of family and friends (here on your blog) helped! We each are given a measure of faith, and the choice where to place it. Just as you sought out a version of the song where the singer ‘knew/remembered’ all the words to sing, you chose it over the others that didn’t. You wanted the complete song, not one lacking in entirety. So is placing faith.
    Having faith isn’t something one can boast about (like some do as if their faith is greater than anyone else’s because of who they are). The importance is, where or in whom we place our faith! We talk aLOT about how we here don’t place our faith in the Gov., because we’ve learned that most in positions of power are criminals – who aren’t for us. Therefore our faith is placed elsewhere. Where best to place our faith? In something or someone who’s proven faithful and trustworthy! We first have to hear the words of Truth – like the words to a song, before we can sing it.- not all songs are worth singing – much less trusting the words enough to follow them for our lives.

• October 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks Zip, I finally felt peace for the first time in months after my meeting with Pastor Thomas on September 30th. I had been searching for faith but could not find it but once I did I felt this burden lifted. It really is hard to explain if you haven’t been through this but it is real.

• October 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Having that ‘inner peace’ is different than what our 5 senses know. It’s a fullness inside that’s difficult to explain. Like describing a wonderful sunrise or sunset to someone who’s been blind since birth. For in a way we all are spiritually blind, until our spirit is awaken by the breath of Life Himself. Just as our body needs air and food, and our souls need love and affection, our spirit has needs a quickening that only God can give. That’s why Hank Williams Sr. wrote this song!

• October 26, 2015 5:38 am

Thanks for sharing. It is so true, you really cannot explain it but after months of inner turmoil a burden was lifted and while I still get a little nervous once in awhile when I think about it it still isn’t what I was feeling before.

7. October 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Some comfy music!

And just for fun ~

• October 26, 2015 5:46 am

I hadn’t heard those two Enya songs before but I did know Ho Hey, although I had not seen the video before. Thanks for sharing.

8. October 26, 2015 8:58 am

By CLANNAD

• October 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Thanks for sharing, that was different!

October 26, 2015 3:28 pm

I am going to post this, not sure if anyone else has heard of him, but I have loved the music since back in the mid 80’s….it is relaxing and I mean RELAXING……. I hope it comes out with the right song….this is KITARO for your listening pleasure.

October 26, 2015 3:31 pm

The other one is good, but I wanted this specific song, hopefully this is it….Dawn/Rising sun

October 26, 2015 3:33 pm

I have cassette tapes, IF that tells you how long I have been listening to him!!! 30 some odd years.

• October 26, 2015 6:41 pm

I hadn’t heard of him but it was a little Enya-ish. Thanks for sharing. By the way I still have some old cassettes around as well…

October 26, 2015 5:07 pm

I just read this and while it sounds good as a “helper” to remind someone to take their meds, it also seems to have a dark side of telling someone if you are NOT taking it….and exactly why would “they” need to know this? Hmmmmm?

• October 26, 2015 6:43 pm

And after that comes food which will monitor you health habits and report it, and then exercise equipment. We know it will expand as time goes on…

October 26, 2015 7:52 pm

Yep, and they do not even try and hide it anymore. They know Americans are beaten down, but for a few of us. What does that tell you about this society?

• October 27, 2015 5:31 am

Yeah, they are now emboldened and are not hiding, this is why Sanders can now admit he is a socialist while he is running for President while Obama could not. We have certainly turned a corner (into a dark ally) over the last seven years!

October 27, 2015 7:21 am

How does someone get away with THIS for 10 years? If we get something a little “off” on our tax return, you can bet WE get notified and fined…….BUT…..if you are a Clinton or Charlie Rangel or probably alot of other important people, you just get a pass? Here is an article that is interesting, not that anything will come from it, just thought you might like to see what the “other side” gets away with. How much money does someone have to owe the Government before they are held accountable? Guess you need to be a Democrat or a Progressive or Liberal or Socialist or Communist….I think I see a pattern here…….

October 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Wish we had an “open thread” while Steve is getting stuff taken of, but guess we can use this one. Hoping that we will find out how he did without waiting too long.

I have been reading about the debate tonight! I know, that is a bad start. The guy they have as the moderator is VERY far left, I guess I have to question why the Republicans are always using liberals to ask their questions???? I do not see that when there is a Democratic debate…IF I saw a Rush Limbaugh or one of the FOX conservatives moderating, then I might not question such a move.

I really do not want to watch the debate, but will have to or I cannot give my “two cents worth” on here. I know they will be trying to take out Trump any chance they get. I also know that Bush has been acting like a spoiled brat and his family is not too happy with his attitude, they want another Bush in the White House. Carson will keep his normal calm self and I just do not know if Trump will come out swinging OR play it cool. Either way, the media will attack him and he will be wrong. I wish that Cruz would get more questions, but doubt that will happen and Rubio, I think has lost his time when he might have been able to pull ahead. The others, well, they will just be there and I doubt that much will come from them. If anyone else wants to punish themselves and watch along with me, I would value their opinion on what they think.

October 30, 2015 11:53 am

I just got around to telling you all what I thought about the debate….so here goes: The RNC should NOT have liberals moderating their debate, bottom line, they are NOT your friend…now, having said that I will move on. I will just rank the top 10, the others are too low to ever make it into the top tier, not that they do not have some good qualities.
    Starting with Rand Paul, he should not be there, he should bow out, he is a light weight.

John Kasich is more liberal than he is conservative, for him to say how wonderful the moderators did and to thank them should be proof enough.

Chris Christie has some good qualities, but being President will not be one of them.

Carly Fiorina had her time during the last 2 debates and has probably maxed out. She does, however let Clinton have it without being called “sexist”.

Mike Huckabee is a good man, but still a bit more establishment than what I want.

Ted Cruz is someone that has a conservative backgound and loves the country and would make a good President, but for a few votes I have not cared about, but that could be worse.

Marco Rubio is an excellent debater, he is young, but I think leans towards immigration acceptance, that is my problem with him.

Ben Carson is a good man, but his background is lacking, he would do well in the Administration.

Donald Trump has the guts to buck the system, that has to be why I like him the best, he doesn’t care what the “establishment” has to say. If he is lacking in foreign policy, I can think of others that are, as well….and he knows how to pick the best of the best for the job on what he cannot do himself. I also would like to see some “class” come back into the White House.

BUSH, needs to back out, but I am afraid that the BUSH money will lift him up and buy the votes…he is a lightweight and if he cannot hold his own with Rubio and Trump, how would he be able to with foreign leaders???? i ask you!!!!

My top 3 after this debate would be Trump, Carson and Cruz and then Rubio if they fail…the others some good some bad…but I will take anyone over Clinton, so I will VOTE even if my top person is not there….not to will be a sure Clinton take of the White House and if we think that Obama is bad wait til she and her First Husband arrive again……ok, that is my 2 cents worth….now YOURS!

October 30, 2015 12:44 pm

No matter which candidate you are leaning towards, please read this article and take it at face value. I have a feeling that he is right with what he is saying.