Sunday, November 29th open thread: ‘Working Man’

November 29, 2015

open-thread  Here is the open thread for Sunday, November 29th. Please feel free to post links to interesting articles and to discuss whatever issues arise during the course of the day. Nothing is off-topic here.

This week we covered 7 stories, did you miss any of them? If so there is an easy way to make sure it does not happen again. I understand that all of you are busy and cannot always find the time to check the blog for updates so why not subscribe to America’s Watchtower and receive email updates whenever I write a new post? That is the easiest way to follow the blog to ensure you never miss another post.

In addition to subscribing you can also follow America’s Watchtower on Facebook and Twitter by clicking the links on the right. But you will get more than that for I often post links to articles I probably will not be writing about so it is a great way to keep up with what is happening.

The Twitter widget in the sidebar is fully interactive. This widget updates my tweets in real time and allows you to respond to or retweet my tweets right from the blog. It also allows you to tweet me right from America’s Watchtower. How cool is that! If you do not have a Twitter account what better reason do you need to sign up for one!

Well, my month long rehab stint is just about over and I am set to return to work on Tuesday. I have to admit that while I thought I would be going stir-crazy after a month of idleness I actually kind of liked it once I started feeling like my normal self. I got to see how the other half lived, if you catch my drift…

But nonetheless I am a working man and so I give you Rush performing “Working Man” live from 1974, enjoy:

1. November 29, 2015 8:03 am

Hard to believe it has been a month. Congrats Steve.

• November 29, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks Bunkerville, it doesn’t seem like it has been a month to me either but I am sure reality is going to hit home when I go to work!

2. November 29, 2015 8:35 am

Hello Steve
    Sometime The Time Stop, Leaving You Bear Witness … To The Thin Line Between Life and Death ..

• November 29, 2015 6:29 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing. You always seem to come up with something different!

November 29, 2015 11:23 am

You saw a glimpse of how the “other half” lives…. you did not have all the freebies coming in, that would have been an added plus for you….but alas, you ARE a working man and work you must to bring home that bacon. I think we all have that moment where we wish we could just stay home and not have to do anything, but after a couple days, that feeling goes away. When I am really sick, which is seldom, I usually lay there thinking of all the stuff I need to get done and go thru it in my mind…then as soon as I am up, I have at that mental list…so guess I am not programmed to be on the welfare dole.
    Glad you are back to being you, as I am sure your wife is, too. Now you can get back to being you again, but with a bit more insight of what it is like to be reliant on others for awhile.

• November 29, 2015 6:32 pm

I did get paid for my time off so I was able to pretend I was on welfare. 😉 Seriously though, I have to admit that while I thought I would be going antsy without doing anything I actually kind of enjoyed it for a change. Besides the surgery I think I did need a little mental time off after how busy we have been the last year.

4. Bruce permalink
    November 29, 2015 12:55 pm

I’ve been waiting for “opened thread day” to share this. PLEASE, EVERYONE, READ THE BOOK IF YOU CAN, BUT AT LEAST THE SUMMARY. “The Fourth Turning”
    “The First Turning is a High, an upbeat era of strengthening institutions and weakening individualism, when a new civic order implants and the old values regime decays.
    *The Second Turning is an Awakening, a passionate era of spiritual upheaval, when the civic order comes under attack from a new values regime.
    *The Third Turning is an Unraveling, a downcast era of strengthening individualism and weakening institutions, when the old civic order decays and the new values regime implants.
    *The Fourth Turning is a Crisis, a decisive era of secular upheaval, when the values regime propels the replacement of the old civic order with a new one.”

Who doesn’t think we are in the “Unraveling”? This cycle happens again and again. Look at this quote after WW1 “We are unsettled to the very roots of our being…We are not used to a complicated civilization”
    This book gives a clear understanding of where we are and why.

November 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks, Bruce, will look the book up. As for waiting til Sunday, Steve has learned to expect me to post when I find something that needs to be posted on other days than Sunday. Some times it just needs to be done, I usually put it in the top blog and just “OT” before it…remember we are ALL craving good information…..:)

• Bruce permalink
        November 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Thanks Lou, I will remember that when I am ‘bursting at the seams’. As for the book, I read it some time ago, but my sister just reminded me how incredibly relevant it is right now, so I gave it another read. Wow, talk about unraveling.

• November 29, 2015 6:35 pm

You know Bruce I have heard of this book somewhere before but I have not read it. It certainly sounds quite a bit like the Hegelian dialectic I have written about in the past. Everything is a crisis nowadays and we could be headed into the fourth turning. Thanks for sharing the summary, I will probably be ready to order some new books next weekend and will have to add this one to my short list.

• Bruce permalink
        November 29, 2015 7:36 pm

Until then Steve there are some great summaries on line.

• November 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Going along w/ yours Bruce: ‘Actor Donald Sutherland Confirms Hunger Games is Allegory for the US’

‘The United States Isn’t a Country — It’s a Corporation!
      ‘The UNITED STATES government is basically a corporate instrument of the international bankers. This means YOU are owned by the corporation from birth to death. The corporate UNITED STATES also holds ownership of all your assets, your property, and even your children. Does this sound untrue? Think long and hard about all those bills you pay, all those various taxes and fines and licenses you must pay for. Yes, they’ve got you by the pockets.’

November 30, 2015 6:36 pm

This woman makes some sense:

• November 30, 2015 8:18 pm

She certainly did not pull any punches, did she? Thanks for sharing.