‘Twas the Night Before Christmas; A Soldier’s Poem

December 24, 2015
tags:

Tonight is Christmas Eve and while we must not forget the real reason for the season I also like to take a moment to remember those people who are not able to be with their families on Christmas because they are serving our country in lands far from home.

So in keeping with an America’s Watchtower tradition here is ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas; A Soldier’s Poem.

Enjoy:

1. December 24, 2015 7:18 am

We are so blessed so many are willing to give so much. A tough time of year for so many.

• December 25, 2015 8:13 am

Yes we are, it always amazes me that so many young people volunteer to serve this country and make the sacrifice.

2. December 24, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks for sharing. I re-posted it on Facebook. I’ve heard it before, but needed this wonderful reminder today especially.

• December 25, 2015 8:14 am

You are welcome and thanks for sharing it. It is a great reminder about what these people sacrifice for us every day.

3. December 24, 2015 9:25 am

Merry Christmas, Steve, to you and your family!! (Special thoughts and prayers for your mom.)

Merry Christmas to the America’s Watchtower family and their families!! (Special thoughts and prayers for you, Lou, your husband, mother-in-law, and family.)

December 24, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks, Laura, for remembering! I will be here alone tonight, my husband is with his Mom. He doesn’t want her to be alone at night, so he has been staying with her at night and other family members are there during the day. My kids are at their own homes, so it will be Me and the 2 Cats from Hell tonight.
      Merry Christmas to all my friends here, stay safe and celebrate the real meaning of Christmas, not just the gift opening. Even though we have never met in person, you all have become an important part of my life.

• December 24, 2015 10:16 am

You’re welcome, Lou!

I’m sorry you will be alone…unless you are glad for the solitude. You know, shopping and/or baking to finish, gifts to wrap, or just enjoying some much needed peace and quiet (in spite of the ‘Cats from Hell’ lol).

The people I have ‘met’ through this blog are a very important in my life, also.

Merry Christmas!!

December 24, 2015 10:22 am

Well, you know that plans can change in a heart beat. We were going to head to Arkansas to be with the kids and grandkids, but right now, my husband needs to be with his Mom. I boxed up all the gifts and UPS just delivered them last night, so the kids will have their “Nana and Papa” gifts. I have things here at home I need to deal with, so it is what it is. We will have next Christmas, hopefully, but his Mom will probably not, so it is important that he is there.
        I guess no one likes to be alone for Christmas, but my Cats are actually pretty good company, so I am a big girl and will be fine.

• December 24, 2015 10:37 am

Yes, it is important for your husband to be with his mother. I’m glad you are so supportive, but I wouldn’t think you would be anything but supportive, Lou!!

Pets are a great comfort. 🙂

My aunt lives in West Memphis, AR, right across the Mississippi from Memphis, TN. My brother-in-law works for Hershey, in Memphis. He and my sister have a gorgeous apartment in downtown Memphis, right on the river. He spends most of his time there (he’s home for Christmas) and she travels back and forth.

• December 25, 2015 8:17 am

Merry Christmas Lou, sorry to hear you are going to be alone but you guys are doing the right thing.

• December 25, 2015 8:15 am

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well and thanks for remembering my Mom, I am sure this holiday is going to be tough for her.

• December 26, 2015 10:28 am

Thank you, Steve, and you are very welcome. I hope your Mom is doing okay.

This year has been tough for several of us.

4. December 24, 2015 2:08 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS Steve! you and yours, AND the Am. Watchtower Fam!

• December 25, 2015 8:19 am

Wonderful Zip, thanks for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

December 25, 2015 10:09 am

Merry Christmas to all the group! I guess we have all had our share of “issues” this year! Sometimes we just have to step back from the Worlds problems and focus closer to home. In the end, most times those problems work out alright, but there are times we just cannot make things better. Those are the times that having friends (even ones far away and only in “type”) around to know you are not alone are worth more than gold. Thank you to all that prop us up here when we are slipping a bit and need someone to lean on!

• December 25, 2015 4:29 pm

Well said Lou! It has been a tough year for me as well but I made it through and am now hoping next year will be better. I consider everybody here friends although I have never met any of you.

December 25, 2015 10:03 pm

That is how I feel! In fact you guys( Laura, sorry, but I call everyone “guys”) probably know more of how I feel about issues than most my friends and relatives, haha! When you think about it, YOU are all a captive audience to whatever any of us want to type!

• December 26, 2015 9:25 am

My family and friends know my positions on politics but I don’t hammer them with it. Sometimes we get into conversations and sometimes people who do not really follow politics ask me a question on something but this is where I come to vent and to let it all out.

December 26, 2015 10:06 am

Exactly, Steve! My family and friends know what I think, but not to the extent of it! Sometimes it is useless to try and discuss politics with certain relatives and I guess it is best left alone. Damn, but family can hold a grudge when it comes to how someone votes.

• December 26, 2015 10:30 am

I call everyone ‘guys’ also, Lou. 🙂

December 26, 2015 10:36 am

I only had brothers and cousins that were boys, so it was natural I turned into a tomboy. Of course, after I answer the phone my standard question is “what’s up?”, and when I get ready to hang up it is “see ya, bye!”. I guess Miss Manners would have her hands full with ME!

• December 26, 2015 11:28 am

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, Lou! Those phrases aren’t improper speech, they are informal speech. Miss Manners wouldn’t say a thing to you!

What is not taught, or valued by many, is the appropriate speech, behavior, dress, and respect for different occasions. Too many believe those things just don’t matter at all. Or that’s it’s racist, sexist – some kind of ‘ist’ to expect all people to tailor themselves to the event.

December 26, 2015 10:51 am

Hope no one has any bad weather issues this weekend. We have the thunder here in Central Illinois and over the next 2 days are expecting around 6 inches of rain. Most of it will run off, but what would that be if it had been cold enough for snow? I was a little bummed we did not have snow yesterday, even just a dusting, but Mother Nature does what she wants, Bill Nye has nothing to do with this. Probably by the end of January we will have the snow and I will be complaining that I have to put the Miata in the garage because she will not go in anything over about 3-4 inches. Oh well, it IS officially WINTER!

1. ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas; A Soldier’s Poem | Rifleman III Journal