The final Iowa poll shows tight races on both sides

January 31, 2016

The final Iowa poll before the caucuses is out and according to this story both the Democratic and Republican races are close. Here is more:

The final Des Moines Register poll was just released, showing Donald Trump leading the Republican field in Iowa with 28 percent, Ted Cruz with 23 percent and Marco Rubio with 15 percent. Hillary Clinton was ahead of Bernie Sanders, 45 percent to 42 percent, on the Democratic side. The political world — us included — was eagerly awaiting this survey, as Ann Selzer, who has conducted the Register’s polls since the 1988 caucuses, has a very good track record. But just how predictive of the final results have Selzer’s polls been? History suggests they’re a good indicator of what will happen in Monday’s Iowa caucuses, though there is room for a candidate or two to surprise.

If this poll holds up Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will squeak out victories in Iowa although they are close enough to believe there could be an upset in the making on either side. In my opinion Hillary Clinton has more to lose in Iowa than does Donald Trump because Bernie Sanders holds a rather large lead in the last New Hampshire poll while Donald Trump appears ready to win New Hampshire in a semi landslide.

The former Secretary of State has more to lose in Iowa than Donald Trump because of the polling in New Hampshire and with the Democratic race in Iowa within the margin of error I have to believe she is at least a little worried about the outcome while Donald Trump seems to have built up a firewall in the event Ted Cruz pulls off the upset.

After months of watching this primary season unfold we are finally starting to get into the meat of the matter and I think this is going to be quite interesting for us political junkies to watch. At this time I am going to predict both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will pull off close victories in Iowa but while Donald Trump will win New Hampshire Bernie Sanders will take the electors in the Granite State.

I have not followed the polls closely from the states holding primaries after New Hampshire so what happens next I cannot predict at this time. However if my prediction is correct I believe it will leave many more unanswered questions on the Democratic side and that is interesting because for months–maybe even for a year or more–all the talk has been about the civil war brewing on the Republican side of the aisle but the Democratic nominee is far from certain at this point, and that is in stark contrast to what all of the pundits believed when the race kicked off.

malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

1. petermc3 permalink
    January 31, 2016 9:05 pm

This despicable, corrupt, phoney, traitorous, murderous fat fuck should have been kicked to the curb by the democrats as far back as 1992. She and her ambitions are kept alive by stupid, inattentive, lazy sycophants who will continue their shameless support of this cookie baking sweet as pie granny throughout the November election. Neither she nor her supporters will be disappointed…unfortunately for commissar Bernie.
    Hopeful enough republican voters will be willing to take a chance on a non-professional politician, Donald Trump.

February 1, 2016 2:50 pm

Haha, tell us what you REALLY think about Clinton! I cannot say IF I was voting on the Democratic ticket that I would even vote…you go from bad to worse…I know Sanders looks like someone that is just a “Grandfather”, but I still think his ideas are NOT for Americans…..

• February 1, 2016 8:12 pm

If I were a Democrat I would probably vote for O’Malley I suppose. But then again if I were a Democrat I suppose I would be a socialist so I would have to vote for Bernie. 😉

2. February 1, 2016 9:23 am

Let Hillary die by a thousand paper cuts. I for one think the only hope for us is to have the old gal hang around for some months. If she fades out too fast, a Biden/warren ticket may emerge and that is something really worrisome. Let her get the nomination. I can’t believe she can get through all of her scandals untainted. The attack ads in a general will be brutal.

February 1, 2016 2:56 pm

That is a good idea, B! Keep her hanging until there is not time to bring in someone that CAN win. I hate arrogance in a person and reeks of it, well that and alot of other stuff….but I just cannot stand to hear her talking…I turn Obama off when I start hearing him and I like her voice even less than that.
      The media is slowly starting to report on small amounts of what she is doing…guess that is a start. I bet they feel really, really bad even doing that. Even if the FBI does their job…I doubt AG Lynch will take her out and implicate Obama, which probably would have to happen. We know the Clintons have a pretty extensive library of other people misdoings…in other words, they have the DIRT on most everyone in Politics, that IS what they are best at doing……..
      I am pulling for Trump tonight and I like Cruz, but I do not think he will have the down and dirty constitution to stand up to what will have to happen once we get going in the election…Cruz would do well as the VP or in the Administration……

• February 1, 2016 8:16 pm

She is arrogant because she has gotten away with it for so long, she thinks nothing bad can happen to her.
        I think the possibility of Cruz being Trump’s VP is gone now that Trump has played the birther card and has not relented. At first I thought Trump and Cruz had a deal but if they did it is out the window now.

• February 1, 2016 8:14 pm

I like the idea of taking her out slowly as well, she should be beatable with all that is going on and Warren has huge support so if she got into the race she would be tough to beat. What happens if it is Clinton/Warren though? That might bring the younger voters to her…

3. petermc3 permalink
    February 1, 2016 10:20 am

Plugs and Pocahontas, a match made in heaven. A new phrase will have to be coined because “landslide victory” won’t aptly describe their margin of victory in November should they run. !Que lastima!

February 1, 2016 2:48 pm

Peter, do not sell Warren short…there are ALOT of “60 and 70 somethings” that really like her. I also thin that the ones that Sanders would have had will go to her. Not sure about what it is they like about her, she is a liar, but then again, there are alot of liars in politics, so nothing new there. She is more “wholesome” looking that Clinton, maybe that is what people like, you know the “woman/girl next door”. As for Biden, he is not all that smart, maybe that is why alot of people identify with him.

• petermc3 permalink
        February 1, 2016 3:02 pm

You misunderstand Lou. I see these two progressive/commie/marxist/socialist pieces of human debris winning big time.

February 1, 2016 4:46 pm

Yes, I misread what you said,,,in a hurry, as usual….and YES then we are in agreement that IF they would happen to get in, IF Clinton and Sanders are both taken out…then, YES, they would or could win (under deceitful circumstances, of course)!

• February 1, 2016 8:18 pm

Warren would be a game changer. But also Sanders has adopted much of Warren’s rhetoric, what about a Hillary/Sanders combo?

February 1, 2016 9:42 pm

Evil and evil,,,,I don’t see what could go wrong there!