Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79

February 13, 2016

I just sat down at the computer to learn that Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia has died at the age of 79. There will be plenty of time to discuss the political ramifications of this news but, unlike some of our friends on the left, I am not going to politicize this today.

Today I offer my thoughts and my prayers to Justice Scalia’s family and friends.

1. February 13, 2016 9:20 pm

Of course one of the more conservative would die off younger than the others! And, OF COURSE, the evils that be want to fill the slot with one of their own immediately – before the hole’s even dug for Scalia! ‘,,, President plans to nominate a replacement. But Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said the nomination should wait until the next president comes into office, while top Democrat Harry Reid called for the seat to be filled “right away.”
    Anymore, anyone dies -who’s somewhat Pro America- the reason of death is put up for questioning in the minds of those who see that this regime and it’s arms will do anything to set the stage for something coming down the pipe they have planned and want to make sure to clear the field of any ‘obstructions’!

• February 14, 2016 7:28 am

When push comes to shove I don’t think McConnell will have the guts to stand in the way of Obama!

• February 14, 2016 1:14 pm

Esp. when he sees what happened to Antonin who didn’t wake up from his sleep – and being of good health! Who wants to stand in the way of those who control certain outcomes? Might not matter, when your names on the list.

• February 14, 2016 7:55 pm

Yeah, he is probably already rethinking this!

2. February 13, 2016 9:29 pm

I may have disagreed with his take on many things, but I always considered him a true patriot who loved his country every bit as much as anyone else.

May he rest in peace, and may his family, loved ones and friends take comfort in knowing that he lived a long and fruitful life.

And may God bless us all.

TGY

3. Bruce permalink
    February 13, 2016 10:24 pm

I am stunned. Truly one of the greatest losses of my lifetime. One of the few justices to always come out and engage with the public. Decades ago, with the great PBS show “Free to Chose”, his intellect would shine above the rest. A Justice who was proud of the founding fathers, proud of what they wrote, and proud to preserve it. SCOTUS is in deep do-do now.Can’t wait to see who Bernie picks.

• February 14, 2016 7:30 am

When you are talking about someone who is 79 I guess it shouldn’t be stunning but it still is because nobody expected it. This is a huge loss and the court is most likely going to change for decades because of this.

February 14, 2016 7:06 am

Supreme Court Justice Scalia was a man of integrity and it was a blow to see this come across the screen of the tube yesterday. It was SO unexpected. The first thing I thought was “oh crap” we are in trouble now and I blame that on Obama. However, once I got my wits back I thought of what a great man we had just lost, but more to the point what a wonderful husband,father and grandfather that his family had lost. That is what is most important today. He was someone they shared with all of us to make the US a better place and I have to thank them and give them my condolences. I can only imagine this was very unexpected having happened.
    Justice Scalia was a larger than life man and is not “replacable”. Oh, we can get another Conservative, but ones like him do not come along very often.
    So, the LEFT needs to back off and give his family and the country time to grieve for the loss we have just had and be human, at least for awhile. RIP, Judge.

• February 14, 2016 7:32 am

Yeah, we forget this was a person who had a family when we first hear the news because he was a public figure and it is natural to think of the ramifications. I don’t think it even matters if Obama gets to pick his replacement or not, the court will be changed forever.

February 14, 2016 7:35 am

Yep! He seemed so “solid” and I knew he would base his ruling on what the CONSTITUTION said, not what he read into it. Now we have ones that want to put their own spin on their ruling.

5. February 15, 2016 10:21 am

What I haven’t heard in all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about appointing a successor to Justice Scalia is the possibility of a recess appointment.

President Obama got burnt the last time he tried to make a recess appointment, but now it appears as if all the conditions have been met – the Senate is in recess, and was in recess when the vacancy occurred, and will remain in recess until February 22.

A recess appointment would put off until after the election what could be a very rancorous confirmation battle in the Senate, thus letting the American people concentrate on the important task of selecting a President for the next four years. It would restore the court to its full size, allowing it to conduct its full range of business and reducing the possibility of a tie vote on important cases.

Republican leaders have come at us with all manner of nonsense about why President Obama shouldn’t appoint a replacement. My question is this — why should this lame duck Senate, with fully a third of its members up for re-election, make such an important decision? Leave it to the newly-elected Senate in January, but in the meantime, let the Court go forward in its work.

Take good care and may God bless us all!

TGY

• February 15, 2016 3:23 pm

I read a story about this possibility this morning and it does look like the criteria has been met, it also speculated that McConnell would have to call the Senate back quickly in order to avoid this possibility.
      It is not just the Republicans who are throwing a bunch of stuff at us on this. It is interesting how both sides have reversed their positions since the last days of the Bush regime. Chuck Schumer is a perfect example of this because he stated that if it came to pass no Bush SCOTUS nomination should be allowed in his last 18 months in office…

February 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Interesting facts about the Supreme Court:

• February 15, 2016 3:25 pm

That was an interesting list, thanks for sharing it. I knew some of those facts but not all of them.

February 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Me, too! Thought it would be good to read since it was not very long and it did have some good information on what we are dealing with now.