Robert Reich says Berkeley rioters were right-wingers

February 3, 2017

In the weeks following Donald Trump’s election we have been witnesses to the unhinging of the left and they have only grown more belligerent and violent since he was sworn into office, culminating with the riots at Berkeley earlier this week.

The more they talk the more unstable they seem and this was on display on CNN when  Robert Reich made the claim that the rioters at Berkeley were rumored to be right-wingers who are apparently involved in a conspiracy with Milo Yiannopoulos and Breitbart News.

Here is more:

“I was there for part of last night, and I know what I saw and those people were not Berkeley students,” Reich said. “Those people were outside agitators. I have never seen them before.”

“There’s rumors that they actually were right-wingers. They were a part of a kind of group that was organized and ready to create the kind of tumult and danger you saw that forced the police to cancel the event,” Reich insisted. “So Donald Trump, when he says Berkeley doesn’t respect free speech rights, that’s a complete distortion of the truth.”

“You think it’s a strategy by [Milo Yiannopoulos] or right-wingers?” asked host Don Lemon.

“I wouldn’t bet against it,” Reich said. “I saw these people. They all looked very– almost paramilitary. They were not from the campus. I don’t want to say factually, but I’ve heard there was some relationship here between these people and the right-wing movement that is affiliated with Breitbart News.”

This is to be expected because this is nothing new: we all remember when the left tried to blame the attempted Times Square attack on the Tea Party by claiming it was probably a person upset with Obamacare. And then there was Brian Ross; he tried to blame the Tea Party for the Colorado theater shooting because he found another Jim Holmes in the area who happened to be a Tea Party member.

Since the election, and Donald Trump’s shocking victory over the establishment, there has been quite a bit of talk from the alt-left about “fake news” and perhaps they are on to something. But of course the alt-left ignores the fact they are the intellectual foundation of “fake news.”

malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

1. February 3, 2017 8:20 pm

Reblogged this on Brittius.

• February 4, 2017 7:30 am

Thank you for the reblog.

• February 4, 2017 9:03 am

You’re welcome.

2. Dr. Jeff permalink
    February 3, 2017 8:30 pm

The guys in the black masks and black clothing are Antifas. They aren’t your standard snowflake. They are violent, dedicated and organized. They’ve been setting up cells all across the U.S. and they have their roots in the 1930’s Soviet Union. Here’s some info, you want to find more.

• February 4, 2017 7:33 am

Thanks for that information, I had not heard of these guys before. It is looking like this is what we can come to expect for the next four years and I have a bad feeling it is going to get very ugly.

February 4, 2017 12:59 pm

Dr. J., it is apparent to most of us that watch any videos that this is “planned” chaos. We know who is paying them and we know why. Thanks for the link.

• February 4, 2017 7:51 pm

ordo ab chao…

3. February 3, 2017 8:34 pm

Right Dr Jeff

• Dr. Jeff permalink
      February 3, 2017 9:04 pm

Fairly reasonable. I do have one question though. When you know as a certainty that someone is preparing to attack you, to hurt you, is it right or wrong to attack them first?

• February 3, 2017 9:25 pm

Here is one thought on that topic.

• February 4, 2017 2:44 am

the Hebrew Talmud says “If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him (first).”

seems sensible enough to me.

• Dr. Jeff permalink
        February 4, 2017 3:06 am

That’s what I was thinking about, but I know not everyone is a fan of the Talmud and I wanted to see what other ideas might come back. What’s really interesting to me about your answer, is that most people don’t even know what the Talmud is, let alone being familiar with that particular quote.

• Dr. Jeff permalink
        February 4, 2017 3:10 am

PS Checked your profile. I like your thinking.

• February 4, 2017 7:40 am

I have been reading quite a bit of theology lately but have not read the Talmud. Looks like I need to add it to my list!

• February 4, 2017 4:52 pm

while I can’t say I’ve read the entire thing..probably about half…the best way to figure out where we’re going is where we came from..since all our laws are originally based judeo-christian law, I thought “why not go back to the source”

there is a lot of it that is repetitive…from what I’ve been told, this is on purpose. if it says something once, it’s a suggestion. twice, and it’s law. three times and it’s a requirement.. higher than law.

the only thing in there 3 times is “If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him (first).”

• February 4, 2017 7:55 pm

I have been going back to the source myself to an extent. In addition to the OT I have been reading Augustine and other early Christian writers. I read the Bhagavad-Gita for another perspective and I have the Koran but I have not read it yet. I will be checking the Talmud out as well.

• February 4, 2017 7:35 am

Thanks for sharing this!

• Dr. Jeff permalink
        February 4, 2017 5:24 pm

The Talmud is the distillation of several hundred years of Rabbinical commentary and philosophy based on the Old Testament. Distillation is sort of a misnomer. It’s the size of a small encyclopedia and is often criticized for poor organization.

• February 4, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks Dr. Jeff. I see Barnes and Noble has a Penguin Classic version which has selections and it is about 800 pages. I think I am going to pick up this version.

4. February 3, 2017 8:39 pm

From Oath Keepers website

“For those of you that are not familiar with the term “direct action”, these are very precise coordinated operations conducted by small groups (4-6 members) that have very specific unit and overall goals. The planned smoke bombing of an Inauguration Ball is a good example of a direct action. Our team foiled this operation. We informed the DC Police Department, the National Press Club and the Inauguration Ball security team leaders of these plans on January 9th, 2017. Direct targeting of individuals and businesses are common direct action activities for the Anti-Fascists. Destruction of property (burning your car, damaging your house, busting the windows out where you work, etc.) are standard direct actions against targeted individuals of these groups. Ask James O’Keefe from Project Veritas or Milo Yiannopoulos from Breitbart News. “

• Dr. Jeff permalink
      February 3, 2017 9:18 pm

O’Keefe apparently was able to infiltrate one of their cells. How tight is their security these days?

• February 3, 2017 10:34 pm

The vid you posted – the gal calling them “the scum of the earth” I agree. They’re in it for their own ‘jollies’ to h*ll w/ everyone else. They need to be arrested and forced to pay for their vandalism.

5. Dr. Jeff permalink
    February 3, 2017 9:23 pm

Check the video. The guys in black are well organized and even had fireworks (?) loaded in their flagstaffs. Note after smashing windows they form a skirmish line in front of the civilians so that anyone shooting at them is likely to injure a civilian.
    [video src="https://cdn.theguardian.tv/mainwebsite/2017/02/02/170202protestberkly_KP-32338277_desk.mp4" /]

6. Dr. Jeff permalink
    February 3, 2017 9:32 pm

The video link doesn’t seem to be working. Here’s the Guardian article where I found the video. It’s a pretty decent article too.

• February 4, 2017 7:46 am

This certainly was not your average protest, this was organized and was always supposed to be violent. At this time I don’t think they really were protesting Milo, I think that was just the excuse and I am afraid we are going to see more and more of this.

7. February 3, 2017 9:45 pm

Here is an older video on the Black Bloc movement. Their tactics shown in the video, notice the pendents on sticks, is what happened in Berkeley. Attack the establishment.

• February 4, 2017 7:48 am

Thanks for sharing this. As I said above I no longer think this had anything to do with Milo, that was just the excuse.

8. February 3, 2017 10:07 pm

Well written article on Berkeley riots.

UC BERKELEY Anarchists, NOT Cal students, responsible for violence in UC Berkeley protests
    PSA.
    by Avinash Kunnath@avinashkunnath Feb 2, 2017, 1:38am PST

February 4, 2017 5:14 pm

Imagine some of students just out to do something “fun” for the evening, but for the most part they are organized by BAD people…youth are very impressionable, we were once them…somehow we overcame the negative evil to become constructive useful citizens. Not sure what alot of this new generation will become, I am hoping they will get a big eye opener if they are finally held accountable for their actions instead of coddled.

• Dr. Jeff permalink
        February 4, 2017 7:44 pm

I hope they open their eyes before they permanently damage their future and ours.

February 5, 2017 10:23 am

Dr. J., they are young and impressionable, as I think I have said before…yes, they could do some serious damage with what they are doing right now.

9. Bruce permalink
    February 4, 2017 1:37 pm

Well there you have it. The Left is the Right. The victim is the aggressor
    As Dennis Prager often says, we are in a civil war in this country, and the left has been winning because the fight harder, and nastier (not in the Judd way, but in the evil way). Their networking is so much better. I will need to look into Oath Keepers as I am willing to get physically involved to protect freedom.

• February 4, 2017 7:58 pm

They certainly do seem to fight harder than we do! It is time for our side to stop being afraid of what the MSM is going to say about us and I have to give Trump credit because he is willing to take them on.

10. February 4, 2017 6:21 pm

Great post, CNN just keeps digging it’s own grave.
    If you’re interested about the Antifa and how they are the real fascists you might enjoy reading my latest post.

• February 4, 2017 7:59 pm

Thank you for the compliment and for the link!

• Bruce permalink
      February 4, 2017 9:14 pm

What a great blog, and so spot on. I don’t remember who said it, maybe Lenin, but critiqued capitalism as willing to sell the rope used to hang (kill) it. Italy was a better example of fascism with EL Duce, “The Leader”, the only leader and what he proclaimed was done. (until he had his nads chopped off and head used as a soccer ball)

• February 4, 2017 10:14 pm