Jason Chaffetz might not finish his term

April 20, 2017

Yesterday Jason Chaffetz, citing his desire to be back home with his family, announced he was not going to run for reelection in 2018 and today we are learning that he might not even finish his term.

Here is more:

U.S. Representative Jason Chaffetz, the Republican chairman of a House committee with broad investigative powers, said on Thursday that it is possible he could leave office before his term finishes next year, The Wall Street Journal reported.

“My future plans are not yet finalized, but I haven’t ruled out the possibility of leaving early,” Chaffetz told the Journal a day after the Utah congressman announced he would not run for re-election in 2018.

Chaffetz’s staff in Washington, D.C., and in Utah did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

In Utah, officials have begun running informal scenarios on how and when to hold a special election should Chaffetz resign, but have not been formally notified of the congressman’s intentions, Mark Thomas, the state’s director of elections, told Reuters.

Yesterday I speculated that there could be more to this story than we are being told and now I am almost certain there is. It is possible that Jason Chaffetz hates being away from his family so much that he has no desire to finish his term, and if this is the case I can understand that. I hate being away from my family for extended periods of time so I can relate to that, however if that is the case he should not have run for reelection in the first place.

Is there more to this story? Does Jason Chaffetz have an issue with Donald Trump? He did say he was going to vote for him but stopped short of endorsing him. Has he come to the realization that he simply does not like the culture in Washington? Does he have a deal in the works which he cannot refuse? Or is it something else?

I do not know the answer to any of these questions but something is wrong with this story…

malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

1. April 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Well the Russian connection is being bounced about by the left, but that is the old stand by. As I recall Utah has been veering left. Could be trouble.

• April 21, 2017 5:26 am

Of course they are! The left really has nothing else to fall back on at this point, they are losing all credibility.

2. Steve permalink
    April 21, 2017 12:01 am

Barring some kind of sordid back room shenanigans (which I wouldn’t put past the liberals), his congressional district constituents voted for him to do the job of representing them. They put their trust in him. He needs to gut it up and finish his term. If he has any political aspirations after he leaves congress quitting mid-term will hamstring him…would be foolish. I really like Chaffetz, but quitting is a stupid move, IMHO

• April 21, 2017 5:27 am

I agree 100%!

3. April 21, 2017 12:32 am

According to one source “Republicans pressured him to go. After the comments and a rancous town hall, Chaffetz knew he was going to lose [reelection]. Instead of bowing out graciously, he quits under pressure.”

The Left is looking for blood in 2018 and Chaffetz is one of their targets. The CIA dirty tricks are in play for the election.

• April 21, 2017 5:29 am

Interesting. Maybe they think if they hold an early special election they can hold onto the seat.

4. April 21, 2017 4:11 am

Reblogged this on Brittius.

• April 21, 2017 5:29 am

Thank you.

• April 21, 2017 7:40 am

You’re welcome.

5. petermac3 permalink
    April 21, 2017 7:51 am

We would characterize the seemingly unexplainable motivation of an individual back before we lost the right to free speech in this country as “There’s a ni__er in the woodpile.”

6. chip permalink
    April 21, 2017 9:23 am

I believe we will see more of this. It’s the leftist game plan. Pick a guy like Chaffetz, the Republican chairman of a House committee with broad investigative powers, vilify him in social media, and the press to the point where he says screw this my family is not worth this crap. This is how we got Trump and Clinton, the only 2 people who are so enamored of themselves that they don’t care about the public reaction except as it applies to votes. It will get worse.

• April 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Sadly I think you are right, this is only the beginning…

7. hypnotique59 permalink
    April 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Broad investigative powers…..I suspect that something really big is about to hit the fan and he doesn’t want to be any where near ground zero.

• April 21, 2017 7:26 pm

That very well could be.