Jeff Session floated the idea of resigning to Donald Trump

June 6, 2017

In an odd turn of events, after learning that the Supreme Court would take up his travel ban Donald Trump Tweeted that the Department of Justice should have stayed with his original travel ban instead of advancing the “watered down” travel ban the department submitted to the court system.

Apparently Donald Trump forgot that he and his administration ordered the new travel ban written in the first place and this “watered down” version was the only version left on the books to challenge. As I wrote above, I found it odd that Donald Trump would go after the Department of Justice like this but I think it shows us there is still tension between Donald Trump and Jeff Sessions after the Attorney General recused himself from the Russia hacking scandal.

Now ABC News is reporting this may indeed be the case and the tension escalated, to the point that Jeff Sessions recently floated the idea to Donald Trump of resigning. Here is more:

As the White House braces for former FBI Director James Comey’s testimony Thursday, sources tell ABC News the relationship between President Donald Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions has become so tense that Sessions at one point recently even suggested he could resign.

The friction between the two men stems from the attorney general’s abrupt decision in March to recuse himself from anything related to the Russia investigation — a decision the president only learned about minutes before Sessions announced it publicly. Multiple sources say the recusal is one of the top disappointments of his presidency so far and one the president has remained fixated on.

Trump’s anger over the recusal has not diminished with time. Two sources close to the president say he has lashed out repeatedly at the attorney general in private meetings, blaming the recusal for the expansion of the Russia investigation, now overseen by Special Counsel and former FBI Director Robert Mueller.

But sources say the frustration runs both ways, prompting the resignation offer from Sessions.

Earlier today, before this news broke, Sean Spicer refused to say whether or not Donald Trump still has confidence in Jeff Sessions:

White House press secretary Sean Spicer was asked today if the president still has confidence in his attorney general. He could not say.

“I have not had that discussion with him,” Spicer said.

“So you can’t say if he has confidence in his attorney general?” Spicer was asked.

Spicer responded: “I said I have not had a discussion with him on the question. I don’t, If I haven’t had a discussion about a subject, I tend not to speak about it.”

I think that question has now been answered and it is getting ugly. Personally I do not think Jeff Sessions should have recused himself but he did and while he might be disappointed Donald Trump needs to let it go, we do not need another confirmation battle for Attorney General.

malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

1. June 6, 2017 9:24 pm

Frankly, Mr. Trump is not doing Session any favors with his use of social media.

• June 7, 2017 5:23 am

That’s for sure!

2. June 6, 2017 11:17 pm

My brother thinks Sessions is ‘too weak’ and his choice to do what he did seems to go in that direction. He could, man up and choose ‘valor’ over ‘protecting his own self’. So maybe it’s good to find out now and make the swap or have him do the job rightly.
    I’m not saying Trump is the answer to all, I’m just relieve (very) that Hilly isn’t in. We’d probably be in a different ‘un-parallel universe’ by now … maybe we already are and just don’t know it (with Bari’s smoke, mirrors of illusion and goal to grind America into dust)! With the new Quantum D-Wave and “from out of this world” high tech who knows! May the best hackers have some conscious and are God fearing or loving, be doing their thing in the background, rather than the others who work for the beast Agenda!
    I thought Spicer was going to be ‘let go’ too a couple of weeks ago. Maybe these guys just get warned and told to ‘buck up’ or else! I agree Steve, going thru the process of replacing him with the ‘gone’ Dem*s (& some the Rep-tilians) might be too much of a hassle. Hire someone who’d be good at the AG job, to be under Sessions (in name only), and use him to get things done, using Sessions to just sign his name for approval.

• June 7, 2017 5:28 am

He did seem weak when it came to this, didn’t he? If he wasn’t going to be up to the task he never should have taken the job but now it is too late. I don’t know what the deal is with Spicer, maybe it was just fake news to try to make it look like there was division in Trump’s cabinet.
      We sure did dodge a bullet with Hillary and we must remember how bad that would have been!

3. June 7, 2017 3:57 am

Reblogged this on Brittius.

• June 7, 2017 5:29 am

Thank you.

• June 7, 2017 5:31 am

You’re welcome.

4. June 7, 2017 7:23 am

I’m sick of Sessions. He never even gave Trump the courtesy of telling him or discussing he was going to recuse himself from the Russia Russia Russia thing which now how bled into almost all matters before the DOJ. Had he done so, Trump could have at least at a assistant DOJ in place. Unfettered Obama sycophants now can bury all the stuff that matters. Move on Sessions.

• June 7, 2017 7:25 am

I should say Deputy DOJ.

• June 7, 2017 7:12 pm

Yeah, he blew this big time! He is a swamp creature after all…