Inspector General investigating James Comey for leaking classified information

April 20, 2018

There has been debate over the Comey memos which have finally been released to the Congress about whether they were personal memos or government property. It would seem to me that because James Comey was talking to the President of the United States while still in the employ of the Federal Government these memos would belong to the government but I am admittedly no expert on the subject.

I do know that James Comey leaked these memos hoping they would lead to a special counsel to investigate Donald Trump so there was a political motive behind leaking the memos even if they were personal and I think that alone is enough to investigate James Comey.

We have since learned that at least two of these memos contained classified information and now the FBI’s Inspector General is investigating James Comey for leaking the information. Here is more:

At least two of the memos that former FBI Director James Comey gave to a friend outside of the government contained information that officials now consider classified, according to people familiar with the matter, prompting a review by the Justice Department’s internal watchdog.

Of those two memos, Mr. Comey himself redacted elements of one that he knew to be classified to protect secrets before he handed the documents over to his friend. He determined at the time that another memo contained no classified information, but after he left the Federal Bureau of Investigation, bureau officials upgraded it to “confidential,” the lowest level of classification.

The Justice Department inspector general is now conducting an investigation into classification issues related to the Comey memos, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Unlike the Inspector General’s investigation into Andrew McCabe I am not sure this investigation is going to go anywhere because it appears as if James Comey redacted all the material that was classified at the time and what is now in question is information which was not considered classified at the time. There is a caveat however:

As FBI director, Mr. Comey had the legal authority to determine what bureau information was classified and what wasn’t. Once he left government, however, the determination fell to other officials. The FBI deemed the memos classified sometime during 2017.

Once he became a private citizen it was no longer up to James Comey to determine which information was classified so it is possible this could be his downfall. It looks like we have come back around to the argument of who owns the memos and I will reiterate what I said above: James Comey was acting in his official capacity as head of the FBI when he interviewed Donald Trump and so it does not matter if he thought they were personal memos when he leaked them because he should not have been in possession of them in the first place.

malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

1. April 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Who”‘hasn’t leak classified info?”
    A person with a conscience “knows” what’s classified and what isn’t. Only criminals make it to be something other than what it is.

OT came across this and thought you might find it ‘interesting’ Steve. The “meaning” they have and see, what’s going on, and put together in a symbolic music vid!

• April 21, 2018 7:41 am

I almost shut the video off when the music ended but then I realized there was about 20 more seconds. I almost missed what they threw in at the very end there!

• April 21, 2018 12:24 pm

Yes, it brings to mind ‘It’s a small world after all.’ (Disney ~who wasn’t who he purported to be). The problem with the one flag and many nations/cultures is that ‘evil’ uses it to bring in the One World Rule. The select blood lines of satanist/luciferians, who are rich (ill-gotten gains, profiting over the masses) rule and prosper as they please (because they ‘are the law’) while ‘all the others of “We Are All One” suffer needlessly.
        We are wise to “know” who are enemy are and their “devices of deception, manipulation and strategies and goals”. Plus knowing how they minds work, we consider the spirit source: How Luciferians Differ from Satanists
        Their ‘actions’ speak louder than their words.

• April 21, 2018 6:35 pm

All of Disney’s movies have a hidden meaning if you pay attention. At the end of the Lion King there is peace but if you look you will notice all the animals (interpreted races) are separated into their own groups.

2. April 21, 2018 4:01 am

In the 1990s, it was affirmed by the appellate division of the NYS Supreme Court, that memos, notes, logs, recordings, anything involving any particular case, is the property of the agency and the state. Search and seizure requirements of the fourth amendment did not apply, as the custodian or owner of such memos was retrieving their own property. Disclosure, of investigative notes and memos, require authorization as those documents are not the personal property of the holder, even if they are created by, the holder.
    I believe this applies also on the federal level, and Mr. Comey is not exempt.

• April 21, 2018 7:43 am

Thanks for that information. I would think it also applies to Federal law and Comey should be in trouble, we will see hos it plays out.

• April 21, 2018 8:22 am

You’re welcome.

• April 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Glad you chimed in on this Brit … I was wondering where you were! 🙂
      I guess that ‘Law’ of the Court only applies when its too their advantage (the guilty), not when it works against/exposing them.

• April 21, 2018 1:34 pm

I’ve been here. WordPress took away my Reblog button; Like button; PressThis button; Follow other blogs button; Subscription button. So, I have been linking.
        WordPress thinks they are going to annoy me. They don’t know that I, was a City employee. Let the phones ring and ring. I ignore everything. The thumbsuckers at WordPress weren’t even in their father’s.., nuts.

• April 21, 2018 1:45 pm

haha🤣
        That’s like Twit too Brit. They set my acct up for a ‘lock up’ so I just “de-active” (close) the acct. ‘pouf on u control fiends’.
        The ‘system’ has taught you vell! Like the Nazi of old, “you VILL do as we say.” and you’re not ‘listening to them.’ 🤣

• April 21, 2018 3:43 pm

That’s right. A regular bull in the china shop.

• April 21, 2018 6:36 pm

If I am not mistaken this is the third time WordPress has screwed with you, which means you are doing something right!

• April 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Third time’s a charm, Steve. The tactic is like hunting and waiting . Allow the buck to come in close. It will. Then it discovers its error too late. I hunted humans. I watched people do the slow burn, especially when they schemed to outsmart this stupid cop. Then without emotion, I just worked on, without showing any emotion. It always burned them up, and literally drove some people up the wall, because they knew, that I was immovable.
        ::Music for Suspense::

3. April 21, 2018 7:04 am

Well, the outcome of all of this will determine if we have any justice left in the USA. If nothing becomes of all of this nonsense, we are indeed in for a very rough ride. I think the noose is tightening.

• April 21, 2018 7:46 am

I guess it all depends on if there are any honest people left in government but something should come from this. Comey’s book tour could come back to haunt him.

4. April 21, 2018 10:19 am

Reblogged this on Deplorables Seeking Justice-DSJ and commented:
    Time to drain that swamp Mr. President!

• April 21, 2018 12:58 pm

I guess it depends on the definition of ‘swamp’ … like Billy Clinton argued about ‘is’.
      Is the swamp those who aren’t ‘honest’ or ‘just don’t go along w/ the New Regime?’

• April 21, 2018 6:38 pm

That sounds a little Clinton-esque. It depends on what your definition of “is” is. 😉

• April 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks for the reblog!

1. AW | Inspector General investigating James Comey for leaking classified information | Brittius