Hillary Clinton Admits Barack Obama Could Win the General Election

April 17, 2008
tags:

In last night’s debate Hillary Clinton was pressed on whether or not she thought that Barack Obama was electable. After several attempts at dodging the question she begrudgingly said that he was electable.

This is interesting because Hillary Clinton has been working behind the scenes trying to convince super delegates that Barack Obama is unelectable, and that she stands a much better chance at winning the general election that he does. Her whole campaign strategy and reason for not dropping out of the race was based on her getting a lead in the popular vote and then selling her electability angle to the super delegates.

So now she admits that she believes that Barack Obama is indeed electable. If she believes this then it is time for her to drop out of the race. She just thwarted her whole campaign strategy.

But why did she do this? What was in it for her? This was her chance to publicly say what she has been saying privately, that she thinks Obama isn’t electable. This was her chance to put that bug in the ear of the public, to sow the seeds of doubt. Yet she didn’t. Why?

In order for Hillary to realistically win the nomination, if there is any reality left in it, is to win Pennsylvania big, very big. If she doesn’t win it big, she virtually cannot overtake Obama in the popular vote, thus flushing her hopes of convincing the super delegate to vote for her.

The internal polling in Hillary’s campaign must be turning up numbers that don’t look very good to Hillary. It is possible she realizes that her campaign is just about over, So she is now in bringing-the-party-together mode. This is hard to believe though. I think she would destroy the party rather than to give up her run for what she believes is rightfully hers, the presidency.

So they question I have is, what was she offered? There has to be something in it for her. I don’t think she would accept the vice presidency, so it has to be something else. But what?

There is something going on behind the scenes of the Democrat party. Party leaders, such as Howard Dean, have already expressed confidence that the nominee would be decided sooner rather than later. That is not possible unless some kind of back room deal has been reached. I just can’t put my finger on what it could be. That is what makes me nervous. That is the only explanation that I can come up with for Hillary backtracking on Obama’s electability, the issue that she has staked her campaign on.

I don’t know what it is, but I don’t like it.

WordPress.com Political Blogger Alliance

1. April 17, 2008 9:39 pm

Every day, more and more, I think he would be easier to beat than her.

2. April 18, 2008 12:29 am

They boxed her in pretty good there IMO. I don’t think her response was the product of a back room deal or something. She was put on the spot, and she had to decide. Saying that she was more electable than he is in spite of the various polls strained credibility, and would have put her into a position to be immediately rebutted by Obama on it. The power players that she’s trying to appeal to “behind the scenes”, would probably see it for what it was, or so she’s no doubt hoping.

3. Deb permalink
    April 18, 2008 4:43 pm

There, she did it! Ridiculous. I don’t know why she would say that. Reverse psychology, maybe? He is not more electable than she is. It’s close, and neither one of them will win, but she is more “electable”. Branding, perception is reality, whatever you want to call it. I have a feeling that people wonder if he knows what he is– angry black man, elitist “trying to appear whiter” guy, or just full of hot air. We’ll see…..

4. April 18, 2008 10:38 pm

I was going to comment on your post then got distracted by the last comment.

Interesting how a black man who gets angry is an “angry black man” but a white man who get angry is just a man. I don’t know if “Deb” is white but the statement like “trying to appear whiter” says something about her.

I don’t know who I’m voting for but as the first election cycle I’ve followed in depth wears on, I’m disgusted, angered, and saddened (all at the same time!) by the political process and by the the comments I see from people online. I get upset with myself too when I get sucked into this nasty business.

I would like to know exactly HOW a 1/2 white man, or any person tries to be “white” or “whiter.” I say this as a black person who had black people call me an “oreo.” I’m offended by Deb’s statement. Please tell me, Deb. What exactly is trying to be white? What next? You’re going to call Obama and his wife “uppity”?

5. April 18, 2008 10:44 pm

even though Sen. Clinton’s shot of winning is slim, I think she should keep running if she wants to. It’s the nature of her campaign that bothers me more. But I have to keep asking myself why I expect so much from politicians??

6. Deb permalink
    April 19, 2008 7:01 am

The word “uppity” really doesn’t mean anything. As far as the other stuff, take your pick, defending Wright, denouncing Wright, all I’m trying to say is, he’s been all over the place. I do apologize for the offence.

7. April 20, 2008 8:55 am

Her campaign is getting nastier and nastier as it slips away from her. It is to be expected from a politician, I suppose.
    I had never thought of the term “uppity” as a racist term before I heard people using it this week. I would have thought of John Kerry as uppity. A quick search on dictionary.com shows what I always thought the term meant but then in the third definition is where I found the racial aspect to the term.
    Maybe I am just naive, but I just learned something new.

8. April 21, 2008 9:35 pm

hey mrpinkeyes, I wouldn’t say you are naive. I grew up in the south and unfortunately heard this word tossed around to mean blacks getting “out of place.” Otherwise, “uppity” is generally not a racist term. I’ve just had the misfortune of rarely having heard it used otherwise.

Deb, I can understand if you think Obama has been all over the place. I just didn’t see the need to bring his race into it. No one accused Kerry of trying to be a “whiter” elite just because he flip-flopped (like every other politician).

9. April 22, 2008 8:49 pm

I guess it is all in the intent of the person using the word. I just never thought of that word in that manner before, but I can see where it can be offensive when used in the manner you have described.

10. Abe permalink
    April 23, 2008 1:34 am

i do not understand about American politics. I used to think there is real democracy and people of American are smart . I was thinking that there is no educated person except few to rule American. It seemed there are only two family who loves American the rest of the people are just subjects. Shame America if you elect a wife of ex president. Pople of american are just like African people. They have no power and do nothing. We the rest of the people are affected. please know whom you elect. The world need someone who really love the world not someone who does not give a dam. America need someone who experience suffering racism, poverity . Our world need someone who really know what is poverity means. Stop being racist and elect Barak . I tell you all these problem will be sorted. I believe he is the answer to solve the existing problem. Pople of the world loves Americ including Islams. I have never been in Americ but I love America as my own.