A Majority of Americans Do Not Want Healthcare Reform

June 22, 2009

According to a new poll a majority of Americans do not want healthcare reform. In fact there is less support for healthcare reform now than there was when President Clinton tried to nationalize the industry.

Healthcare reform seemed like a major issue during the campaign. Why then the change of heart in the American voters on this issue? Either healthcare reform was never a strong issue with the public and it was a trumped up issue by the media and the candidates or the cost of the reform has scared off many Americans. Those are the only two scenarios that I can come up with.

I believe that it is the soaring price-tag on healthcare, last estimated at $1.6 trillion, that is beginning to sour people on healthcare reform. Perhaps if this was one of the first agenda items that Obama tried to pass there would still be support for it but after watching the president throw trillions upon trillions of dollars out the window already, and with nothing to show for it, Americans are tiring of the spending.

Many people didn’t realize how much “free” healthcare was going to cost but now that there is an actual price-tag associated with healthcare people are beginning to get nervous. The money has to come from somewhere and taxpayers know where that money is going to come from.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to FurlAdd to Newsvine

1. June 22, 2009 3:04 pm

I guess the population is starting to realize that nothing is ever free… ESPECIALLY when the government is involved.

2. June 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Polls are skewed to favor Obama, just like the will of the voters is ignored by the politicians…

• June 22, 2009 9:39 pm

The fact that the polls are skewed is what gives me optimism here. The fact that this poll shows dwindling support fot a program that Obama wants has to be a good sign.

3. June 22, 2009 6:19 pm

I put little faith in polls, however often I’m proven wrong. I feel that pollesters can get the results they want by framing the questions to get the outcome they wish. I do believe however, that most Americans will not want the health plan should the full details ever be revealed. The Demos will try and push this through quickly before people can get a handle on it.

• June 22, 2009 9:40 pm

I agree with you view on polls. I just have a feeling that this one is right, maybe I am just too optimistic, but I feel the public is turning on this issue.

4. Vincent permalink
    June 23, 2009 8:59 am

Regardless of the bias of the poll, which I agree are always biased to represent the views of those administering the poll, what I find encouraging here is the fact that the media is presenting a view contrary to that of the great and powerful O.
    Hopefully he is making enough enemies within the media just by being himself to sour that sickeningly obsequious relationship.

5. June 23, 2009 7:15 pm

I think that Obama is making enemies in the media with his arrogance. Hopefully this will lead to more balanced coverage of him. I think that the fact that polls are coming out that are critical of Obama is a hopeful sign.

6. agl444 permalink
    September 18, 2009 7:57 pm

I definitely agree, the cost of a public option is extremely high and there have to be other ways of reform if it is so necessary. And on a side note, Mr Pink Eyes, I do agree about the president making enemies in the media

• September 18, 2009 8:28 pm

There are other forms of reforms, letting insurance companies compete betwwen states and tort reform are two good starting points.