Rick Santorum’s Town hall meeting in Brentwood New Hampshire

January 4, 2012

I have just returned from one of Rick Santorum’s first New Hampshire events since last night’s Iowa Caucus. He held a Town hall meeting in Brentwood New Hampshire, which is about ten minutes from my house, so I decided to go listen to him. I had received a automated telephone invitation on Saturday and had planned on going anyway, but with the Iowa results I was curious as to how the turnout would be.

The turnout was great, the room was packed with both voters and media outlets and I think it isn’t a stretch of the imagination to believe the media wouldn’t have shown up if it weren’t for his Iowa surprise. The people were excited to hear him speak and he did not disappoint. It is interesting to note how different a feeling there is, and how refreshing it is,  in listening to a candidate answer a question when there is no one minute time limit imposed, (and believe me, Rick Santorum had no problem talking) as there is in the debates.

Rick Santorum displayed a wit about him that had the people in attendance laughing at times. One example of this was when he answered a question from a younger voter about how he could stay uncorrupted by special interests who might donate to his campaign; he answered that he wasn’t raising much money, nevermind money from special interests. (He did mention that he raised something like 50% more money today online than he had to that point in total.) A second example of his humor was in regards to Iran and the recent reelection of Ahmadinejad; he stated that everyone knew this was a fraudulent election yet Barack Obama stated that the election seemed legitimate to him, he quipped that Barack Obama was a “Chicago politician, so naturally it seemed legitimate to him.”

I am not going to go into the specific answers to specific questions because as I stated above there were no short answers and I think by this time most people know where he stands on the issues–to use Rick Santorum’s words tonight, ” you may not agree with me on every issue, but I agree with me on every issue.” This was a veiled attack on the duplicity of Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich for not always believing what they believe on issues.

At one point Rick Santorum stated that Barack Obama was ruining the country by getting people addicted to the narcotic of government dependency and claimed that while Barack Obama said “you can believe in me” Americans want a president who believes in you, and in closing he called on the people of New Hampshire not to believe the hype about Mitt Romney’s huge lead and asked the people not to let the media influence their votes or claim that we had to settle for who we are told is the most electable candidate.

1. January 4, 2012 11:47 pm

It is awesome that you were able to see Santorum in person. Santorum is authentic, of good character, and has good ideas for both the economic and moral recovery of our nation. I believe he is the right man at the right time to be President.

• January 5, 2012 12:28 am

It was pretty cool to see a presidential candidate so close, and I agree with your accessment of him. At least you know where he stands on the issues and you can make your judgement on him knowing that you know what he believes.

• integrity1st permalink
        January 6, 2012 2:02 am

Not 100% sold but glad to see him rising so we can have more of a dialogue on him, and to deflate romney being the ONE. But, he needs to be pressed on 2nd Amendment, as his record is bad, and NH is a great place to push to change that.

also, can you check into why I haven’t gotten new posts since before the new year?

• January 6, 2012 6:42 am

He was asked about the second amendment at the meeting I went to and he said he believes strongly in it because the second amendment protects the first amendment, but he hasn’t really been pressed on the issue.
        Are you talking about email updates? I will see if I can find out what’s going on.

• toldya permalink
      January 7, 2012 3:20 pm

Here’s an article you should read.

2. January 5, 2012 12:06 am

Teresa, I agree with you! He is bright, articulate, and most importantly, GENUINE! He is a man of integrity – alien in DC! But maybe he can start a trend!

• January 5, 2012 12:28 am

I agree as well, you may not agree with everything he stands for, but at least you know what he stands for and that is refreshing from a candidate.

January 5, 2012 7:51 am

It was good to hear a first-hand report from you. Your last paragraph said it all with this, “we had to settle for who we are told is the most electable candidate”. It is ashame that we have fallen for it in the past. Seems like we are told who it will be and as they say “you will like it”. I think we are past that point now and resent being told what to do. We see what that has gotten us, just more of the same going down-hill. As I have said before, you may not care for yourself or you may think that you are too old and will not have to put up with it for long, but think about our kids and grand-kids if nothing else. I for one would like to see them at least have the childhood I had growing up. That seems like so far in the past now, simpler times and people that had morals and integrity. Is that too much to hope for?

• January 5, 2012 8:07 pm

My last paragraph was actually a quote from Santorum, he is the one who said we should not settle for the candidate who we are told is the most electable and I agree with that whole heartedly. It is time to get our house in order because it is our children and our grandchildren who will be stuck with the bill if we do not.

3. January 5, 2012 12:08 am

P.S. Well said, Steve! Well said! What happened with the woman who asked about medicare expense? She seemed unsatisfied with his answer.

• January 5, 2012 12:34 am

It is interesting that you ask that question because I happened to be standing right behind her all night. It was obvious from the beginning that she and the person she was with were liberals. They shook their heads many times at his answers and actually laughed when someone asked about the second amendment, there is no doubt they were not there because they were Republicans.
      Her question was meant to be confrontational and when he gave the answer she tried to go back at him, trying to paint him as a big government guy on some issues and claiming that he didn’t care about the healthcare of the people. I thought he did a pretty good job at explaining his position but she was having none of it.

• Eric Turer permalink
        January 5, 2012 11:34 am

Hi Steve, nice to see you again. I was the person standing with her (Liz). You are correct that we won’t be voting in the GOP primary, but remember that he’ll face everyone if you pick him so we’re just doing our part in the NH tradition. Liz was just pointing out the Medicare’s administrative costs are well below the MLR requirement (despite covering a sick and elderly population). Note, also, that the man who posed the initial ‘friendly’ question criticizing the requirement that insurers would have to pay at least 80%-85% of premiums to buy actual health care admitted that NH insurers are currently at 80% anyway (and doing just fine so no huge burden in that requirement.

• January 5, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi Eric, thanks for stopping by! I now have two people who were at the event stop by and offer opinions and that is great for this little blog and I appreciate it. I enjoyed the back and forth that Santorum and Liz had and I was glad that he allowed her to press her opinion–I know that he didn’t offer you the same opportunity as you tried to follow up because in all honesty he did not answer your question.
        I hope that you did not conclude from my comment that I did not think you should be there because you are not a Republican, I enjoy the debate and welcome it here and I hope you will stop by again. Debate is healthy and needed and the fact that we are allowed to express our opinions is part of what makes this country great.

• Eric Turer permalink
        January 6, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks Steve – that’s a nice note and I share your sentiment about enjoying the discussion of differing opinions…. I think it makes everyone’s arguments and decisions stronger. I do wish he had answered my question because I think all the candidates running to repeal the Affordable Care Act will need to have clear answers on what to do with the uninsured if they aren’t seeking universal coverage. I told Liz she’s better at pushing the point. One last clarification – the main reason we laughed out loud at the second amendment question was that it followed his appeal to only ask questions that really needed answers and I doubt anyone needed clarification on where he stands on the second amendment! ET

• January 6, 2012 9:26 pm

Liz did a good job at not letting Santorum brush her aside, he couldn’t ignore her and she pressed him.
        Now I understand why you laughed, but I do know people who are concerned about his stance on the second amendment and perhaps this was the only thing standing between this man and voting for Santorum.

4. LD Jackson permalink
    January 5, 2012 6:45 am

It’s good that you were able to actually attend one of Santorum’s campaign events. At least you get to see him up close and are able to assess how he is in person. By the time the Oklahoma primary rolls around in March, they don’t seem to pay too much attention to us. If they visit our state, it will be in Oklahoma City or Tulsa, far away from the rural voters like myself.

• January 5, 2012 7:42 am

It was a good time last night and I think that you are able to get a good feel for a candidate in a small setting like this, it was very interesting. Brentwood is a very small town in Southern New Hampshire (one town up from where I am) and it was scheduled before the Iowa Caucus, so I wonder if it would have been held elsewhere if he had known how well he was going to do in Iowa.

5. Jim permalink
    January 5, 2012 9:46 am

Very interesting. I’ve been keeping pretty much out of the mainstream on this. haven’t been following it hardly at all. I did watch a little of one debate a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say, the one who impressed me the most was Huntsman. Romney is too slick, too snake oil salesman for my taste. Plus, what really turned me off to him was denying having anything to do with, or even knowing about those brutal attacks on Gingrich. Of course he at least knew about them. Gutless move on his part.

• January 5, 2012 8:19 pm

Huntsman has staked his whole campaign on New Hampshire and it will be interesting to see how he does here. Of course while Romney claims he had nothing to do with the attacks on Gingrich we all know that he supported it. Technically he can have nothing to do with the PACs, but he didn’t condemn the attacks, and by refusing to condemn the attacks he was in fact condoning them.

6. bunkerville permalink
    January 5, 2012 10:04 am

It was great to hear that you were able to get to hear from him directly. Recently, our Tea Party had the GOP senate candidates running for PA. How much different it was in person when they one got to hear more than sound bites, and they got a chance to explain their position. Not just questions about their polling numbers. Actually I thought I could tell the genuine candidates by the handlers they had about them. A couple just “looked” the part. Slick, slick slick looking.

• January 5, 2012 8:22 pm

It does make quite a difference hearing a candidate speak when he isn’t limited by time constrains! It affords us a great chance to hear candidates better explain their positions and gives us a better look at who they really are. Romney is holding an event on Sunday close by and I hope to attend even though I won’t be voting for him.

7. January 5, 2012 12:30 pm

Santorum’s quip about Obama being comfortable with a fraudulent election is telling. I grew up under the umbrella of the corrupt NJ Democrats party machine – just as or maybe more corrupt than that in Chicago. Obama is just as big a liar as any of the thugs who controlled politics when I was growing up.

Santorum may be the man but Rove and the other establishment Rhinos will attempt to destroy him like anyone else who has tried to challenge their stiff backed favorite Mitt Romney – I hope Santorum can prevail….WM

January 5, 2012 12:52 pm

William, I have stopped listening to Rove. He comes on the channel and tells us what we need to know and we are supposed to take him for his word. There is not much difference between him and any of the other party strategists. I also resent being told that a candidate doesn’t have a chance and they write them off, since the media controls what is on the tube, we have to look on the internet for info. Keep your fingers crossed the internet never gets taken control of, or we will be switching to HAM radios. I am not sure we can believe any of them from either party. To me they have all blended together. This may be another vote of holding our nose as we did with McCain, to cast a vote.

• January 5, 2012 8:27 pm

I agree Lou, Rove and the rest of the establishment are trying to push Romney on us and we must not fall for the hype. The internet offers us the means to a free and open debate and I rue the day when the federal government has the means to regulate our discussion.

• January 5, 2012 8:25 pm

Rove is an establishement man and as such he is trying to discredit every candidate who is not an establishment person. Romney has been chosen by the establishment as the only man who can defeat Obama and he will try to bring down all opposition to Romney, we mustn’t fall for this again. It didn’t work for us in 2008 and it will not work for us in 2012.

8. January 5, 2012 1:50 pm

Mr. Santorum said many things that impressed me. He goes on fact. What people actually say and do. We should all do what ought to be done. This is our right given by God our creator. Glory to God!!!!!!

• January 5, 2012 8:28 pm

I agree my love! Rick Santorum states what he believes and this turns many people off, but at least we know where he stands and what he believes and this is refreshing in a politician.

• Deb permalink
      January 6, 2012 11:08 am

Well said, Mrs. Pinkeyes!! The truth is not easy to hear, for any of us- but right is right. God bless Santorum for speaking his heart. Wow! If anyone is the”not-Obama”, it looks like Santorum to me! And I notice that he is “de-vested” in the Granite state;) very good post BTW,Steve. I wonder how much your young friend Jason will be represented on Tues. What is the ratio of college students to other groups? Are you going to the debate Sat?

9. Radman NH permalink
    January 5, 2012 3:54 pm

It wasn’t until approximately 4 weeks ago when I saw him on television and heard what he had to say. I was truly impressed. I was saying to myself who is this guy, where is he from? I have been following all the Canidates since that day and I can truly say. I was a Regan voter and I beleive Rick Santorum is our next Ronald Regan for this generation. That is why I am voting for the canidate.

10. Jason Toney permalink
    January 5, 2012 4:07 pm

I was the “young voter” asking about being corrupted by “corporate interests.” Santorum avoided the question and turned my question into a chance to make a joke about his nephew being a Ron Paul supporter. He never spoke about what he would do to stand up for Middle Class Americans. He didn’t convince a single person in that room that he would not sell out to his corporate donors he will inevitably have if he gets the nomination. Santorum is a farce. He is a homophobic and a racist. The nomination will never be his, he has said too many things that most Americans would consider loony.

• January 5, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Jason, thanks for stopping by, I am so glad that two people who were at the event have found this blog and decided to comment!
      Santorum is a family man and there was no way that he was ever going to condemn a family member for political reasons.
      Satorum has received no special interest money, and that is the point he was trying to make. That being said, if he were ever to gain enough steam there is no doubt that he would receive special interest money and that is a sad fact of American politics. I hope that you do not believe that this is only a problem in the Republican party because Democrats receive plenty of special interest money as well, and Barack Obama is no different. I am not condoning it, but it is a reality in American politics.
      He did tell the crowd what he would do to help middle class Americans: By cutting the corporate taxes to 28% and taxes on manufacturing corporation taxes to zero this will help make America more competitive in the global market and incentivize companies to move back to America. While the left portrays this as giving tax breaks to the wealthy the fact is that this will allow companies to hire more American workers and what class of people will be helped if there are more manufacturing jobs in this country? The middle class, that’s who.

11. January 5, 2012 10:53 pm

Well done sir! Glad you got out to an event. I hope he comes equally close to my location.

• January 5, 2012 11:00 pm

Thank you, I had a great time. Romney is going to be about 20 minutes away from me on Sunday and I hope to make it to his event even though I won’t be voting for him. I think it will be interesting anyway.

January 6, 2012 4:10 pm

Steve, if you had on a black Nike t-shirt and sported a full beard, you were on C-span today. The lady in front of you had on a white top and was asking a question about Medicare. It was on Road to the White House today under the Brentwood NH townhall meeting. It was on at 1pm central. Not sure if you could get a copy if you wanted one or not.

• January 6, 2012 9:28 pm

That was me, when I went to work the next day someone mentioned they saw me on TV. Now I’m famous! 🙂 I tried to find the video by searching Road to the White House but I didn’t find it, do you have a link?

January 7, 2012 9:03 am

Found it.Hopefully this will get you there. Tried to attach, but all I could get was this.

January 7, 2012 9:05 am

I just tried it and you will still have to go to page 2 after you get to this link and then click on the video. Sorry, just don’t have time to fine tune it this morning, but it is there…under the c-span videos…the transcript is down below the videos as well.

January 7, 2012 9:08 am

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/SantorumTo , this said it is an actual link. have not tried it either…might work.

January 7, 2012 9:12 am

This is the actual link, I believe.

• January 7, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks for the link, that last one worked perfectly. I was wondering how you could tell I hade a Nike shirt on because the cameras were behind me, they must have had another one in the front that I didn’t see.

January 7, 2012 7:00 pm

Yep, it was in front of you, we always have to remember that “someone” is always watching us, haha! It was touch and go on finding the right link, glad the last one did it.

• January 7, 2012 11:58 pm

And to think that one short week ago Santorum would have had no media at this event.

I need to remember “Big Brother” is watching.

13. toldya permalink
    January 8, 2012 5:16 am

Homework time. Read this article and then make your decisions about Santorum.

• January 8, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks for the link. I understand that Santorum isn’t going anywhere, he will fall like the others before him did after they surged leaving Romney as the candidate. Lew Rockwell is a former employee of Paul so it isn’t surprising he is pushing Paul, but Paul has maxed out his support at about 20% and I don’t see that changing even as candidates drop out.
      The bottom line is we are stuck with Romney and we are screwed.

Hereis a link to an article Mark Levin has on his Facebook page.

• toldya permalink
        January 9, 2012 9:13 am

Start stocking up if you aren’t already.

1. Rick Santorum’s Town hall meeting in Brentwood New Hampshire | TheNewsChef