Did Barack Obama reach a deal with Benjamin Netanyahu to delay military action against Iran until after the election?

March 9, 2012

White House spokesman Jay Carney is denying a report by Israeli media that Benjamin Netanyahu has asked Barack Obama for bunker busting bombs and refueling planes to support Israel if and when that country attacks Iran. However, one government official–who wishes to remain unnamed–confirmed that this request was indeed made by Netanyahu to Leon Panetta, but that no deal has been struck.

The same Israeli newspaper is also reporting that Barack Obama has agreed to Netanyahu’s request, but only with the assurance that Israel will not attack Iran until 2013. If true this would just happen to coincide nicely with the coming election because it would push back any hostilities which could hamper Barack Obama’s reelection until after the election is over.

We have conflicting stories here, so which one is true?

This seems like the most likely scenario to me:

Barack Obama reaffirmed in his meeting with Netanyahu that America has Israel’s back, and it would seem as though if this were true the United States would be more than willing to lend Israel this type of support, but Barack Obama isn’t willing to go so far as to put his reelection on the line so the only condition he sought for his support of Israel was a delay in military action so that his base wouldn’t be privy to the depth of his support.

Barack Obama is more worried about his campaign and his prospects for reelection than anything else, and he knows that any conflict with Iran will cause gas prices to soar even higher than they already are, and he doesn’t want that to happen until after the election. Barack Obama doesn’t have a problem with high gas prices or the effect they have on the American people, he only has a problem with them if they can hurt him politically; in other words, he only cares about how gas prices can affect him personally. So he has asked Netanyahu for this little favor in return for the support of the United States because after the election is over it won’t matter to him how high gas prices climb.

This deal would offer Netanyahu the support that he craves from the United States, while at the same time keeping the support secret until after the election, and this would give Barack Obama the only thing he really cares about–a better chance at reelection. The mere fact that all Barack Obama has asked for in return is a delay in military action until after his reelection tells us all we need to know about Barack Obama’s mindset. He puts politics above all else, and this is where we can draw a stark contrast between Barack Obama and President Bush.

When Democrats were calling for an end to the Iraq war what did President Bush do? He announced his plan to commit more troops in Iraq to help stem the increasing wave of violence in that country. He knew that the surge would be political suicide, but he thought it was the right thing to do so he pushed forward because he was putting what he felt was right ahead of what would help the Republican party politically. The Republicans paid the price, but the surge helped lead the way to the end of the Iraq war.

We can debate the surge all we want, but whether or not you agreed with it, at least President Bush had the courage to do what he felt was right in the face of withering criticism. And that is a trait that Barack Obama is missing when it comes to the gathering storm in Iran.

Barack Obama didn’t have a problem pushing through his healthcare reform even though he faced withering criticism from the American people, but when it comes to supporting Israel he seems embarrassed to let us know where he really stands.

1. Phillip Cleary permalink
    March 9, 2012 9:41 pm

You presume that Netanyahu will actually do what he is saying. I believe Israel will do what it needs to for survival and rightly so.

• March 9, 2012 10:09 pm

Very true Phillip, I wouldn’t be surprised if Netanyahu didn’t agree to wait until after the election. His priorities are much different than Obama’s. He has the interests of his nation first and foremost in his thoughts.

• Phillip Cleary permalink
        March 10, 2012 1:15 am

Wouldn’t it be nice to have legislators that actually cared about our country?

• March 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Yep, but sadly most of them only care about getting reelected.

2. March 9, 2012 9:47 pm

I have serious doubt that Barack and Bibi reached any deal, but I could easily be wrong on this. I can however, understand why Obama would like to push any Israeli action against Iran back until after the November election—like you say high gasoline prices would be a killer for his re-election effort, and thats paramount to this president because its only then can he really begin to unlease his master plan for America without ever having to answer to the voters again. This is what I fear most.

• March 9, 2012 10:11 pm

I also doubt that Netanyahu would agree to this, although I have no doubt Obama would agree to this. To think about what Obama would do without fear of reelection is a scary thought indeed, and I hope we don’t have to find out the hard way.

3. March 9, 2012 9:54 pm

I don’t suppose our media will investigate this, will they?

I certainly won’t be surprised if it were true.

March 9, 2012 9:57 pm

I do not see Netanyahu making any deal with Obama, you can see what his opinion is of him. On the other hand, I can see Obama asking for that said deal, for his own personal benefit. He is out for “number 1”, unlike Netanyahu who is trying to protect his people. These men are total opposites when it comes to character, morals and ethics…there is no comparison.

• March 9, 2012 10:13 pm

I agree Lou, I can easily see Obama making this deal but not Netanyahu. He will do whatever it takes to defend his country without regard to what will help Obama get reelected. I believe Netanyahu probably would like to see Obama defeated so if politics plays any role in his decision perhaps he will attack before the election in order to help defeat Obama.

• March 9, 2012 10:18 pm

I’ve thought about this also Steve. When Israel decides to attack, if that hurt Obama’s reelection chances, that will just be gravey for Bibi.

• March 9, 2012 11:03 pm

Collateral damage!

5. LD Jackson permalink
    March 9, 2012 10:07 pm

Like the rest of the previous comments have stated, I have no problem believing Barack Obama asked for a deal like this. I am also inclined to believe there is no way Netanyahu would agree to such a deal. If there is one thing the Israelis are known for, it is their determination to keep their country safe. They put their security in the hands of no other country. If Netanyahu and the rest of his cabinet believe the time is right to strike Iran, they will do so, with no regard to the American political system.

• March 9, 2012 10:15 pm

I agree with you and the others who have commented here. Obama most likely did ask for this deal, but Bibi will do what he thinks is right for his country, as he should.

6. March 9, 2012 11:01 pm

I do not believe so, no. But I think Obama did do that in the sense that, diplomatically speaking, he pushed Israel into a box. I read that one administration source said they’ve been trying to make it as tough and as uncomfortable as possible for Israel to strike. And unlike our leader, I don’t think Israel’s leader would put politics over security.

• March 9, 2012 11:05 pm

I agree Harrison; Obama thinks politically while Bibi thinks about national security.

March 10, 2012 8:05 am

Harrison, I guess it depends on where your priorities are and we know with Obama it is to get re-elected that is top of his list. I feel that Netanyahu will strike when he feels the need to. Obamas mistake with him is that he thinks he can control what he does and he is dead wrong on that. When you look at the two of them in pics as they speak, you can tell what Netanyahu thinks of Obama and what he is doing. He knows that Obama does not put this country first and he acts accordingly with him when he has to come into contact with Obama. I doubt that he has any respect for him and he doesn’t strike me as a person that would easily take orders, especially from someone he probably has no respect for. We should be so lucky to have someone in Our White House that has our best interest at heart and not some “plan” that will take us down as a great nation. As Willam says, that is just my opinion.

7. March 12, 2012 9:52 am

The Six Day war started two weeks before my high school graduation. Almost all of us were with Israel then as we are with Israel now.

Obama, as is the habit of extreme or “malignant” narcissists, has no allegiance or concern for anyone but himself. His weakness is thinking that everyone will buy into his agenda where integrity and honesty are choices best swept under the rug.

Obama has no concern for Israel other than the American Jewish electorate – unfortunately too many buy into his BS and are, by association helping his pro-Muslim anti Israel agenda. Just my opinion….WM

1. 80 ROCKETS AND MORTARS FIRED INTO ISRAEL | Josiahe’s Blog