Open thread for Thursday October 4th: Electric Eye edition, plus quick debate thoughts

October 4, 2012

Here is the open thread for Thursday, October 4th; feel free to post links to interesting articles and to discuss whatever issues happen to arise during the day.

With the debate  last night I am sure this will be much of the conversation today. Here is my quick take on the debate: Romney was the adult in the room and did much better than I thought he would, while Obama seemed disgruntled and agitated at being questioned and had a continual scowl on his face when Romney was talking. Clear victory for Romney.

“I’ve been in business 25 years and I have no idea what you are talking about, I might need to get a new accountant.” That statement by Romney was one of the best of the night, and showed that Romney understands the economy while Obama doesn’t, but it was dwarfed by the new terminology coined by Romney about the Democrats: trickle down government. That was brilliant! And then there was “you don’t pick winners and losers, you pick losers” when talking about Solargate.

The one thing that struck me about Mitt Romney was how natural and at ease he seemed throughout the debate, normally I find Romney to be kind of plastic and unengaged but he didn’t come off that way at all tonight.

On to the musical selection of the day:

Earlier this week I wrote this post about how domestic spying has increased dramatically under Barack Obama in spite of the fact he railed against it when he was running for president so I thought I would choose a song by Judas Priest entitled ‘Electric Eye’ recorded live in 1982 as the musical selection for today. It seems fitting, here are some of the lyrics:

Up here in space
I’m looking down on you.
My lasers trace
Everything you do.
You think you’ve private lives
Think nothing of the kind.
There is no true escape
I’m watching all the time.
I’m made of metal
My circuits gleam.
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean.

Always in focus
You can’t feel my stare.
I zoom into you
You don’t know I’m there.
I take a pride in probing all your secret moves
My tearless retina takes pictures that can prove.

Rob Halford is one of the three best metal singers of all time in my opinion (with Dio and Bruce Dickinson) and Judas Priest were ahead of their time with this one, here it is. Enjoy:

1. October 4, 2012 12:23 am

Turns out Mittens spoke for about 5 minutes less than Obama. That’s a lot over 90 minutes.

Mitt was like a professor at Yale while Obama was like a sophomore in high school.

I think if Mitt can keep pounding Obama he’ll get him angry and there will be a big turning point.

Obama looked like a total fool.

• October 4, 2012 12:58 pm

I didn’t realize Obama ended up with more time, but he did ramble on after he complained about the moderator interrupting him and he looked childish there. I think you are right; Romney can get Obama to snap if he pushes him, there were times last night when you could see Obama clenching his jaws in anger.

• October 4, 2012 9:32 pm

The pressure will be on because of Obama’s poor showing. Obama snapped at Lehrer so I think if he gets super pissed next time it might cause him to lose it.

Obama has very thin skin.

• October 4, 2012 10:01 pm

He does have thin skin and he hated to be challenged. It’s like the scene in the movie “A Few Good Men” if Romney pushes him enough he may lose it and blurt out something that could cost him the election. Just keep pushing him and eventually he will snap.

2. October 4, 2012 12:52 am

I’ll use a phrase not normally associated with Romney: Mitt kicked his ass. Sure, just one debate, but if he can go the rest of the way like that, Obama will be defenseless. He can’t defend his record, and that’s his achilles heel.

As far as the tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas, I was under the impression that companies could take tax deductions. Apprarently even the pols can’t get it straight. From an ABC article:

Under existing law, employers may take tax deductions for the costs associated with moving jobs out of the country.

Later in the article from Orrin Hatch:

“I’ll keep this book of tax codes at my desk here. If someone wants to show me the tax code that allows deductions for shipping jobs overseas. I’d like to see it. But it’s not in here.”

Yes, our tax code is broken.

• October 4, 2012 10:03 am

It’s not a tax break, just a garden variety business expense.

• October 4, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeah, Mitt was on his game last night and he took the fight to Obama. I’m not sure about the tax breaks but if the pros don’t know how are we supposed to? There is no doubt the tax code needs to be simplified.
      You are right about Obama; he can’t defend his record so he was uncomfortable for most of the night. He tried to set the tone early on by saying he wanted to look at what he would do moving forward instead of looking back, but Romney made sure he had to look back.

3. donchute permalink
    October 4, 2012 5:37 am

Interesting…I had a gut feeling that Maobama spoke more than Mitt…I guess those aaaahhhsss and ummmsss take up a lot of time…Mitt did kick ass and he has been dealt a bad hand even from US on the Right…I guess we Misunderestimated Mitt too!…Keep it up Mitt…I sense a Maobama meltdown in the 3rd debate which will send hisself to the back of the class where he belongs!

Ohhh and Chris Matthews leg has gone numb…the tingle is gone…Priceless!

PLU from SSF

• October 4, 2012 1:03 pm

I know I underestimated him. I didn’t think he could fight like that. I didn’t even want to watch the debate but now I am glad I did.

4. October 4, 2012 10:00 am

In order to penetrate the dense american voters skull and possible reach the grey matter Romney must pound away at the Kenyan lightweight with ammo such as the Obamacare vouchers. This clown with the floppy ears looked like a mulatto caught in the headlights. Next time out Mutt must go for the jugular.

• October 4, 2012 1:04 pm

This was a good start but Romney can’t sit back and enjoy the attention he is getting, he has to continue to take the fight to Obama from here right until the election.

• cmblake6 permalink
        October 4, 2012 2:31 pm

As must we continue, Steve. We cannot let up until they are flushed from the bowl that is DC.

• October 4, 2012 10:02 pm

You’ve got that right!

5. bunkerville permalink
    October 4, 2012 11:26 am

It was worth the price of admission to see tingles, et al, have their knickers in a knot.

6. October 4, 2012 2:48 pm

Mitt was so well prepared, Obama didn’t have a chance. In 2008, Obama didn’t have a record and he could turn on the charm and attack the other guy’s record. Last night he was lost and look every bit the amateur he is.

• October 4, 2012 10:03 pm

Exactly, now he is trying to hide from his record but Romney wouldn’t let him and that is why he looked so uncomfortable all night.

7. October 4, 2012 11:17 pm

The only thing Mitt really missed on was when they were talking about the housing collapse. When NOMObama was blaming the banks for giving out loans to people that had no chance of making the mortgage payments, I was screaming at Mitt to remind those of us who knew, and inform those that didn’t, about the law suit where NOMObama was the lead lawyer against Citibank for not lending in just such a manner. That IDIOT NOMObama left himself wide open on that and Mitt gave him a pass. What a WASTED opportunity!

• October 5, 2012 5:41 am

I forgot about this question in the debate, but I thought he was going to mention the fact that Clinton is the one who loosened up the regulations and forced banks to make these loans but he didn’t go there.