Jonathan Gruber claims he was not the Obamacare architect but refuses to provide documents

December 9, 2014

Earlier today Jonathan Gruber testified in front of the Oversight Committee and he made the claim that he was not the Obamacare architect, but when asked to provide the Committee with Obamacare related documents he refused–telling the Committee they would have to speak to his counsel.

Here is how it went down:

Chaffetz: Mr. Gruber, will you provide copies of all of the work product you provided to the federal government related to the Affordable Care Act, Healthcare.Gov, or any other health care reform proposals?

Gruber: That is a request of the committee they can take it up with my counsel and I’m sure—

Chaffetz: No, no, no we’re asking you not your counsel. Council works for you. So we are asking you under oath, will you provide this information to this committee?

Gruber: Once again, if the committee can take it up with my counsel.

Chaffetz: No, no, no, no Mr. Gruber. We are asking you, you have been paid by the American taxpayers. Will you or will you not provide that information to this committee?

Gruber: Once again, the committee can take it up with my counsel.

Chaffetz: Mr. Chairman, this is something we have got to get the bottom of. I think members on both sides of this aisle should demand those documents paid for by the American taxpayers be part of the public record. What are you hiding? Why won’t you give those to us? Why are we not entitled to those?

Gruber: I’m not an expert on the rules of what’s disclosable and what is not. But my counsel is and he’d be happy to talk to the committee about it.

Chaffetz: Why will you not give us those documents?

Gruber: I’ve not concluded one way or another.

Chaffetz: Who owns the documents? Who paid for them?

Gruber: I’m not sure.

Chaffetz: Were you paid by the American taxpayer?

Gruber: I had a technical contract with HHS to do micro-simulation modeling.

Chaffetz: Was there any work product of that? Did you come up with documents, have discussions?

Gruber: Yes, I had a large number of discussions.

Chaffetz: Will you provide copies of all the work product you provided to the state governments related to the Affordable Care Act state based exchanges or any other health care reform proposals?

Gruber: Once again, the committee can take it up with my counsel.

Chaffetz: Will you provide copies of your communication including emails, memorandum, presentations, or any other discussions or conversations you had with federal or state officials or employees related to Affordable Care Act exchanges or other health care reform proposals?

Gruber: Once again, the committee can take that up with my counsel.

Chaffetz: I need a yes or no. I’m not interested in talking to your counsel. I’m interested in talking to you right now under oath, having been paid by the American taxpayers. Will you or will you not provide that information?

Gruber: You can take that up with my counsel.

Chaffetz: Why do you believe you are entitled to not give it to us?

Gruber: I don’t know the rules of how you produce documents or things like that, I’m not a lawyer.

Chaffetz: Do you have documents?

Gruber: Do I own documents?

Chaffetz: Do you have documents?

Gruber: Yeah, I have documents.

Chaffetz: And you are not willing to give them to us.

Gruber: I have all sorts of documents. I have a piece of paper in front of me.

Chaffetz: Documents that relate to the questions I just asked you, Mr. Gruber. Do you not understand the question?

Gruber: I performed grant work for the federal government. There is work product from that work. I do not understand the rules under which that work product is supposed to be provided because I’m not a lawyer and you can ask my counsel.

Chaffetz: This is frustrating.

gruber  If, as Mr. Gruber claims, he was not the Obamacare architect why then would he not release the documents which would exonerate him? Why is he hiding behind counsel?

The answer is pretty obvious to me–the documents most likely do no exonerate him and in fact most likely show that he played a much larger role than either he or the Democrats want to admit. But then again, I am just a stupid American voter so what do I know?

Hopefully the Committee can get their hands on these documents before his computer crashes and everything is lost forever–there seems to be quite a bit of that going around these days…

1. December 9, 2014 11:06 pm

I updated an older post with a video from today’s hearing. Someone was willing to take it on. I was hoping so. Unfortunately, the clip doesn’t show Gruber’s shock when he was asked about it.
    Obamacare Gruber: ‘Abortion of marginal children’ a ‘social good’ UPDATE

December 10, 2014 3:51 am

But Bunker, he was SOOOO sorry for what he said, his remarks were “glib” and he regrets saying them. He was only trying to make himself look smarter. Well, we know there are more conferences he was at, that the arrogance was oozing out of him, we just have not seen them. Now he acts like a little boy with his hand in the cookie jar….a little boy with MILLIONS of our money. Who is the joke on? He will walk away from this and still have OUR MONEY.

• December 10, 2014 6:58 am

He is only sorry because he got caught, we all know how he feels about himself. And the sad part is that you are right because he made millions helping with Obamacare.

December 10, 2014 7:18 am

I would feel bad for doing what he did, maybe he just doesn’t think he did anything wrong. He has such an inflated ego, maybe his morals and ethics were forced right out of him!

• December 10, 2014 7:47 am

And of course the end justifies the means with people like Gruber so he honestly does not think he did or said anything wrong because it is for the greater good.

December 10, 2014 7:49 am

The bad thing is that there are plenty more out there ready to step up to the plate when there are big bucks involved!

• December 10, 2014 6:56 am

I am glad he was called out on this, I just watched the video and I wish we could see his face. He probably did not see that one coming.

2. December 10, 2014 12:52 am

The last of the panel speakers, Mr. Dem Cummings stated: I JUST TOLD MY STAFF, I SAID, WE OUGHT TO LEARN FROM THIS. WATCH WHAT YOU SAID. IT CAN LEAD TO SIGNIFICANT CONSEQUENCES. Those ‘consequences’ in a Dem’s mind are like what happen to Foster and others who were a threat or not upholding their lie program.
    New word for Lie = Conjecturing. TORTURED SCORING also significant – ObolaCare doesn’t reduce the deficit, nor premiums, but does help the insurance comps. Cummings was on the Benghazi’s panel too – he’s a Dem. ‘plant’ who sugar coats (icing) the ‘waste heap’ and smooths it all down, defecting from the focus and intent of getting the truth out (He’s PRO ObalaCare and is saddened that this ‘unfortunate’ that ‘truths’ are messing it up – which these two were ‘prepped’ not to tell – just like Benghazi’s group.
    The other’s hammered away pretty good at them but the Regime has their anti-American lawyer (which American’s are forced to pay the bill for) to cover them as they continue to lie and protect the Agenda. Gruber’s only sorry he got caught – not about what the affect are on millions of people. He doesn’t know how many millions he’s made off of this, and Tavenner just ‘doesn’t know’ (like Hill-of-beans) so many things, how can she be ‘qualified’ for her position for not knowing so much? She knows what the Regime wants her to know and says what they want her to say. Prepped to be ‘transparent’ … another word for: hidden/darkness.
    Ending remark by Darrell Issa after Cummings concludes his covering the tracks of the fleeing outlaws: WE CAN GET SO CAUGHT UP IN DISTRACTING THINGS THAT WE DON’T DEAL WITH THE BIGGER PICTURE, THE LIFE AND DEATH SITUATIONS. And that’s what it comes down too. Gruber, Tavenner and the REgime are the death squadron – profiteers. No moral ethics, no remorse for their ill actions or conscience. http://www.c-span.org/video/?323115-1/hearing-jonathan-gruber-marilyn-tavenner-health-care-enrollment&live=

December 10, 2014 3:47 am

That is the take I got on it too, Zip! It was the usual hearing, in the fact that they sat there knowing they just had to put in their time and there would be no punishment. Just a few strongly worded comments to them. Gruber was only sorry he was found out, not that what he has done has caused much harm to a system that didn’t need more harm done to it. Elijah Cummings is just a thug, there I said it, he sits there with that scowl on his face and he is big and bad and he intimidates people. How totally “normal” for him. Guess we are supposed to back down from whatever he is upset about. I DO see alot of the Republicans starting to go on the attack and not sugar coat what they are saying. However, nothing will come of this, as usual. I wonder, can’t the witnesses be held in contempt of court or something along those lines for sitting there either deferring to their council or saying they do not know the answer? Just wondering. I would think that would make an impression on them at some point that they should answer the question, but what do I know. I have a feeling that Cummings is knee deep in alot of the scandals that we just do not know about. What do you think?

• December 10, 2014 7:02 am

There is no doubt in my mind that there are more people involved in these scandals than we know about. In fact I think the Republicans knew about what was going on in Benghazi prior to the attack and that is why Boehner did all he could to slow down Issa’s investigation.

December 10, 2014 7:20 am

I do not trust Boehner, AT ALL! It is hard to believe there are that many people in the House that would want to keep him in, but then again, we are not privy to what all goes on behind those doors. I imagine it is a whole other world they walk in.

• December 10, 2014 12:56 pm

You know, Lou, we who participate in reason and logic, here on Steve’s blog (with morality and ethics present!), could spend a lot of our valuable time discussing this! The light of truth shines, blinding some and giving sight to others. What comes to my mind is: “But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!” (Matthew 6:23). Like you state, Cummings is well practiced in the dark arts of icing and frosting – how ‘great is that darkness’.

• December 10, 2014 7:00 am

Yeah, Cummings is always there to sugar coat things and he is good at it. You are right; Gruber is not sorry he said what he did because he believes what he said, he is only sorry he got caught.