Open thread for Sunday, June 21st: ‘Faith’

June 21, 2015

open-threadHere is the open thread for Sunday, June 21st. Please feel free to post links to interesting articles and to discuss whatever issues arise during the course of the day. Nothing is off-topic here.

Last week we covered 8 stories, did you miss any of them? If so there is an easy way to make sure it does not happen again. I understand that all of you are busy and cannot always find the time to check the blog for updates so why not subscribe to America’s Watchtower and receive email updates whenever I write a new post? That is the easiest way to follow the blog to ensure you never miss another post.

In addition to subscribing you can also follow America’s Watchtower on Facebook and Twitter by clicking the links on the right. But you will get more than that for I often post links to articles I probably will not be writing about so it is a great way to keep up with what is happening.

The Twitter widget in the sidebar is fully interactive. This widget updates my tweets in real time and allows you to respond to or retweet my tweets right from the blog. It also allows you to tweet me right from America’s Watchtower. How cool is that! If you do not have a Twitter account what better reason do you need to sign up for one!

Now for the moment you have all been waiting for! This is the week I reveal my number one favorite band of all time and this award goes to….The Cure.

First up this week is one of my all time favorite songs by The Cure and it is an early one. This video is from 1980 and it is entitled “Play for Today.” At this point in time the band was still touting its “anti-image” image but as you will soon see The Cure eventually found an image and abandoned the “anti-image” idea.

Next up is “A Night Like This” as recorded live in 1996.

And here is “The Love Cats” performed live in 1984.

This next song is a song which Robert Smith once called the perfect pop song, it is entitled “Just Like Heaven” and this version is from 1989.

This brings us to the conclusion of the first set. Now we move on to the brooding goth/mope rock sound which the band is most famous for. First up in the second set is a song called “Treasure.”

Next up is “Siamese Twins.”

“Prayers for Rain” is next:

In 1981 The Cure played a festival in which Robert Palmer was the headline act. The whole festival was behind schedule and Robert Palmer was not happy; he stated that if The Cure did not cut their set short he would not perform. Because most of the people in attendance were there to see Robert Palmer The Cure was told they could only play one more song.

Needless to say they were not happy but there was nothing they could do so they played one more song. However, The Cure did not go quietly into the night: the band is famous among fans for extending and improvising the endings of a couple of songs during live shows. One of those songs is called “A Forest” so the band decided to play a 10 minute version of the song, getting in a last laugh of sorts because the improvised lyrics included “such a long end.” When the song was over bass player Simon Gallup yelled into the microphone “fuck Robert Palmer and fuck rock and roll.” This has become one of the most collectible bootlegs from the band.

But, as I alluded to above there is one more song The Cure is famous for extending and improvising and that is the quintessential song by The Cure and the one song which stands above all the others. It is called “Faith” and like the “fuck Robert Palmer” version of “A Forest” there is one live version of this song which all true fans of The Cure must own. It is the Tienanmen Square Square version and it is powerful at over 15 minutes long.  It was performed on the evening of the massacre and was dedicated to the victims.

1. June 21, 2015 6:47 am

Happy Father’s Day, Steve!

Happy Father’s Day to all my friends on this blog who are fathers!!

2. June 21, 2015 7:29 am

ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER

The Cure – World War

June 21, 2015 9:41 am

What year was the first song performed, SDL?
      One cannot go wrong with a bit of Jimi! I remember when the series China Beach came out and all of the songs on it,,,that was one of my favorite shows to watch. My son found it on DVD for me.

• June 21, 2015 3:54 pm

World War was an early demo form 1979-1980 and is pretty rare. Some say the riff from World War was revived for Shake Dog Shake.

3. petermc3 permalink
    June 21, 2015 7:49 am

Steve,
    Any interest at all in Ska? Look up Streetlight Manifesto, my son is the bass player.

• June 21, 2015 9:41 am

June 21, 2015 9:46 am

Ah, Jamaican hint there….those were great songs!!! Feet and shoulders moving this morning with a smile….thanks SDL! Now I want to go find my dvd of Cool Runnings and watch it, haha!

• June 21, 2015 3:56 pm

I have never really been into ska but when I hear it I like it. I will have to check out Streetlight Manifesto, the name sounds familiar.

June 21, 2015 9:38 am

It is safe to say that The Cure has “evolved” as a band. I liked the earlier version, but not for the same reason the more seasoned group has…most bands stay pretty true to their start, but The Cure changed and for the better, i think. Thanks for sharing all of the songs today! As for Robert Palmer,,,,,,some people become arrogant jerks when they reach the heights…apparently he is one of them??
    Now, someone else will have to step up to the plate for next Sunday,,,first it was SDL then me and now you, Steve….who will be next? It is nice to see and read something that we do NOT have to think about what is going on in the world if only for a few minutes on a Sunday morning!

• June 21, 2015 12:28 pm

For The Question about the first Ska song is 1969, and still refer as a 1969 brand, Skinheads then did go dancing to the Sound of Ska, and create a mix of Jamaican and British youths. It is since 1982 – 84 and then further more Skinheads..Could be Called White Power Skins.The music also was progressivly getting hard core Punk. A revival of Ska also occurred in the 80?s, shortly with the Rude Boys and The Specials as a number one
      group, Madness follow its own speciality with a much longer life…

God Bless Y’all

June 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Never heard of either of these band, SDL. They are sure upbeat sounding and nice to listen to. Not sure where you come up with them, but glad you do!

If I did not mention before, all you fathers out there enjoy YOUR day! Tomorrow it is back to the normal grind. 🙂

• Pjetermc3 permalink
        June 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Good post about SKA. Actually my son is a classically trained jazz musician, a masters degree in music performance, (jazz musicians make great rock musicians because they know their instruments intimately) playing venues in the NY Metro jazz scene. His worldwide Ska touring days are over but still playing limited tour dates. He grew up listening to my vinyl collection covering all music genres. As for me, I would have trouble playing the tambourine.

June 21, 2015 1:26 pm

It is always good to hear when your kids excel at stuff, isn’t it? That is what we want, for them to be “better” than we were at their age. At least all your son did was listen to your vinyl collection…mine has “borrowed” mine for an extended time…..hmmmm!

• June 21, 2015 3:59 pm

Always liked One Step Beyond!

• June 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Yeah, I am with The Cure–F Robert Palmer! Lol! The Cure started out in the post punk era and they had that sound but over time they evolved and came up with a sound which was all their own.

5. June 21, 2015 2:17 pm

Good old Robert Palmer. To me he will always be ‘a dickhead to love’ get it…’Addicted to Love.’ Bwahahahahahahahaha. I crack myself up….. 😉

• June 21, 2015 4:00 pm

I got a laugh out of it!

• petermc3 permalink
      June 21, 2015 7:06 pm

After his catchy Bad Case Of Lovin’ You I pretty much turned him off. Too much bubble gum.

• June 22, 2015 3:37 am

I did like and, now, thanks to you all, the song John and Mary after thirty years or so lol
      Singer like that they are like Paul Young and many others, they make the hits then fade away into Clubs to plays those old time hits on and on.
      Clear that a band Like The Cure who explore its own capacities to Create Sound and Voice is far away from this concept of “hits”, but escape the moment to join longevity.

6. June 21, 2015 8:02 pm

What would Father’s Day be without a little Johnny Cash?!

• June 22, 2015 8:55 am

June 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Ha, I remember it with The Who! Of course, they are not THIS old yet, but we are all in our 60’s now, so it won’t be long,,,,at least for MY generation.

7. Zip-a-Dee permalink
    June 24, 2015 11:08 am

Something a bit different, yet interesting!