Boatlift, An Untold Tale of 9/11 Resilience

September 11, 2015

Like I do every night I stopped by Bunkerville this evening and I found that he had posted a video about the great boatlift of 9/11. During the attack and in the immediate aftermath these people realized they had to do something, anything, and so these ordinary Americans jumped in their boats and rescued 500,000 scared people who were trapped on the island and had no means of escape in the event the attack was not over.

They did this at a time when everything was still uncertain and with the prospect they could also become victims of the attack when it would have been so much easier to stay home and watch the events unfold on the television in the safety of their homes; they eschewed their own safety in order to help people because they knew they had the means to help people and were willing to do their part. These people are some of the unsung heroes of that fateful day.

I am ashamed to admit that I had never heard this story until I saw it at Bunkerville tonight but I knew immediately that I had to share their story of heroism so that we do not forget what the American people can do in times of great peril.

Here is their story as moderated by Tom Hanks, it is truly inspiring:

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Normally I end my posts with that Latin phrase, and I intended to so so today, but I  think it is time to explain what it means for those who might not know. That phrase translates roughly to “I prefer the dangers of liberty to the tranquility of servitude” or “I prefer dangerous liberty to peaceful slavery” or “I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.” You get the picture.

This phrase is generally attributed to Thomas Jefferson, however he was quoting Jean-Jacques Rousseau in his epic work entitled The Social Contract in which he attributed the words to Count Palatine who spoke those words in the Diet of Poland many, many years ago.

I pay lip-service to these words every day in my posts but in my opinion these people lived them on September 11th, 2001 and their heroism should not be forgotten.

1. September 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Reblogged this on Brittius.

• September 12, 2015 5:32 am

Thank you.

• September 12, 2015 6:42 am

You’re welcome.

2. Basharr permalink
    September 11, 2015 8:27 pm

This was a great story I saw this video a couple of years ago. Great to see it again.

• September 12, 2015 5:34 am

I had never heard this story before but it is good to see what Americans can do in times like that.

3. September 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks for the tip of the hat. In the end, the yanks come through don’t they? Recently France again. Our metal gets tested time and again. We can only hope we can stir ourselves to meet our latest challenges.

• September 12, 2015 5:35 am

You are welcome, thanks for sharing that story. I had never heard it before.

4. September 11, 2015 9:13 pm

The events of September 11, 2001, Climategate in late November 2009 and six years of official excuses for data manipulation gave me courage to trace back these events to unreported events in Konan, Korea during a news blackout in August-September 1945:

• September 11, 2015 10:42 pm

If you are not member of ResearchGate, you can read a synopsis here:

• September 12, 2015 5:39 am

I had not heard of this, thanks for sharing it!

5. September 12, 2015 12:56 pm

That’s the basic American spirit being acted out in real life – neat.
    The thing that spoils this for me, is the very group behind the taking down of the towers, provides one of their spokesman – of their own making and bent – to sensational it for their own cause: “Politically, Hanks falls squarely in the Democrat/liberal camp … In 2012, Hanks forcefully said he would back Obama once again and, despite widespread opinion to the opposite effect, said Obama had exceeded his expectations, saying: If you would have told me a few years ago that ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ would be repealed and about a billion jobs at General Motors and Chrysler would have been saved because the president was smart enough and strong enough and bold enough to do so, I would have said, ‘Wow. That’s a good president, I think I’ll vote for him again.’ He doesn’t seem to acknowledge the billions upon billions of taxpayer dollars that were funneled to some of the country’s richest men during that bailout, but hey, that’s what the PR machine is all about.” http://hollowverse.com/tom-hanks/
    Some of you might be ‘hanks’ fans, but when an actor or entertainer/anyone is bought into the Anti-American Agenda and gladly is ‘used’ to promote that thinking and mindset, I mark them off my list of people to watch. Every time something of moral integrity and value is done the parasitical arm of the Regime uses it to further their ’emotionalism indoctrination and social conditioning’ – a form of psychological brainwashing: affecting the ‘response emotions’ and rules the mind – it’s a re-programing and the minds which dictate the emotions (circular) are conformed into the image of the ‘world system’. If people are dictated by emotions (which don’t have any brains) the Pride Piper can lead them without the nose ring (yes I meant ‘Pride’!).

September 13, 2015 12:40 am