November 22th open thread: ‘Hallelujah’

November 22, 2015

This is officially the open thread for the week however I am dispensing with the normal formalities of the post because last Sunday evening my family suffered a great loss and we are all still coming to terms with it. My Mom was watching the Patriots game with us when she got the call–my stepfather, Bob, passed away suddenly.

Bob had been suffering from Parkinson’s disease for many years and he fought bravely but now his suffering is over. Parkinson’s is a horrible disease, watching what it did to Bob over the years was heartbreaking but we all remember Bob as he was, and he was one of the kindest, gentlest, and caring people I have ever known. There is nothing Bob would not do for anyone and there is nobody who ever met him who had a bad word to say about him.

I still remember meeting Bob for the first time–me and my brother and sister were outside playing when my Mom introduced us. I think it is safe to say we all liked him immediately, although we had no idea he would someday be a member of the family.

That Summer Bob and my Mom rented a custom van and we took a vacation to Lake Winnipesaukee where he taught us all how to water ski. That lake became a very special place for our family and eventually we had a condo on the lake. We had so many great times there!

Bob loved the water, he grew up on it and at one time was actually offered a job in Florida as a professional water skier, and even after the condo was sold we always had a Summer camp on the water. I remember all those days fondly.

Bob was the master of the corny joke and he loved to repeat them whenever he had a chance: one of the jokes I remember the most has to do with my singing. I always loved to sing but those who know me know that I have probably the worst singing voice in the history of mankind, but Bob always got a kick out of my singing and he loved to tell people that I was a rock singer because when I sang people threw rocks at me. My wife and I were married on Bob’s 55th birthday and I decided to surprise him by getting up on stage and singing Happy Birthday to him. I am chuckling now as I think about it…

We all knew this day was coming but still it was unexpected because it happened so quickly. Bob was having a good day, in typical Bob fashion he was joking with the other residents and the nurses when he suddenly drew a breath and let go. It is a relief to know he did not suffer and it was not drawn out but it is still hard to believe he is gone.

I could go on and on about Bob and still never do him justice and honestly I cannot come up with the words to describe him and what he meant to me accurately. Goodbye Bob, I will love you and miss you forever but you will live on in my heart.

Bob loved the song “Hallelujah” and so I dedicate this to one of the greatest men I have ever known.

1. November 22, 2015 8:02 am

My condolences to the family.

• November 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Thank you so much!

2. November 22, 2015 9:31 am

So sorry to hear of your loss. Condolences as well to you and your family.

• November 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Thank you very much!

3. petermc3 permalink
    November 22, 2015 9:51 am

My condolences to you and your family.

• November 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Thank you, thank you!

4. November 22, 2015 10:18 am

• November 22, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks for sharing, that is a new one on me!

5. November 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Steve, I am so, so saddened to hear of your loss. My deepest sympathy to you and the rest of your family.

Hallelujah is one of my favorite songs. I could listen all day to Jeff Buckley’s version. I think his is the best – soulful and haunting.

• November 22, 2015 7:40 pm

I had not heard his version before but it was awesome, thanks for sharing it!

6. November 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Yes, I join in with the ‘Condolences’ Steve. It’s tough to lose someone you care about so deeply, you’ll miss him but but it’s a Blessing that he’s no longer suffering in pain of that illness. Sickness and death was not the LORD’s will or intention, but He’s provided that one day death will be swallowed up in victory! Meanwhile, comfort and peace to each of you, from the One who holds Life in His Hand.

• November 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Thank you so much Zip! It really is a blessing to me to know that Bob is no longer suffering and although I will miss him deeply I still have many fond memories I will never forget and he lives on in my heart. I know first-hand how it feels to put my life in God’s hands and to trust him that everything will work out and that was something that brought me peace when I needed it the most!

7. November 22, 2015 8:27 pm

For those who hadn’t seen this yet: ‘Behold A Pale Horse’

And a bit on man’s conning the Religious Tithe from anyone they can, esp. the poor:

• November 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks for sharing these videos Zip!

November 23, 2015 10:38 am

I just read this,Steve, so sorry for your families loss. It sounds like your step-father made a big impression on your life growing up. He was your father, being biological or not, he did what a father does and you and your siblings are probably better people because of it. You were fortunate to have him in your life.
    Parkinsons is a horrible disease for the patient and for the caretakers. My father had it and now my older brother has it. It is hard to watch the disease happening. It sounds like Bob made the most of his life and to be laughing when it is over, what better way to leave this earth! You have many happy memories, what a wonderful person he must have been!

• November 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Thank you so much Lou! He truly was a remarkable man, so full of life and so optimistic. We will all miss him but we are all grateful for the time we had with him and with the memories we will always have.

November 23, 2015 8:06 pm

This is a really good article. Just sums things up for us again, so we won’t forget.

• November 23, 2015 8:10 pm

The article is spot on, thanks for sharing it! The image of him as Nero fiddling as Washington burns is perfect.