Ted Cruz moves into second place in the latest Iowa poll

November 22, 2015

Ted_CruzTed Cruz seems to be gaining a bit of momentum in the Republican primary according to some recent polls. Last week a national poll showed Ted Cruz tied with Ben Carson for second place at 18%, behind Donald Trump who had 28% support. This poll had Ben Carson losing 8 points from the last poll.

I think you all know how I feel about national polls; they do not mean much because we do not have a national election, state polls present a much more accurate picture of how the election is likely to go. But today a new Iowa poll is out which seems to reflect what last week’s national poll indicated.

According to this new Iowa poll Donald Trump leads the Republican field with 30% of the vote, followed by Ted Cruz at 21% while Ben Carson lost 8 points and sits at 19%.

At this point is seems as if Donald Trump’s support is locked in at somewhere between 28-30% while the anti-Trump vote is still splintered between the various candidates and Ted Cruz appears to be the next one in line to make a run at him. The only question at this point appears to be this: will the people who do not support Donald Trump coalesce around one candidate when it comes time to head into the booth or will they remain splintered?

As long as multiple options remain in the race it seems likely to me that no one candidate will emerge to defeat Donald Trump and he most likely is going to be the nominee, but it I believe it is going to get interesting before all is said and done. Ben Carson appears to have peaked and is now beginning to fall off, is Ted Cruz the real deal or is he just the latest flash in the pan?

malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

1. petermc3 permalink
    November 22, 2015 8:46 pm

Cruz remains on message as does Trump while Carson is running out of somber platitudes about himself. Hopefully enough people come around and acknowledge by acclamation we need a fighter not a mush melon in the Oval Office. Again, a Winning ticket may be Trump/Cruz. If they are a strong enough team to defeat the RINO establishment they may be strong enough to defeat the Clinton/ O’Malley ticket. Let us pray 🙏🙏🙏

• November 22, 2015 8:57 pm

I think that Carson is done. He might be a nice person who should be admired for what he accomplished but he does not seem to be a fighter and I think that is what the people are looking for.

• November 22, 2015 9:06 pm

He’d make a great Surgeon General.

• petermc3 permalink
        November 22, 2015 9:19 pm

…and Dr Michael Savage for head of HHS.

• November 23, 2015 8:38 am

Yes, that would be the perfect role for him. Perhaps that is what he really wants out of this. I had not thought of that before.

• Charles permalink
        November 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Steve, Glad to see you writing and back in the fight, I think we need a man’s man or a Margret Thatcher kind of woman. I admire Carson greatly, he’s not a mush melon, but he is not a warrior. We do need a fighter. I am glad to see Cruz moving up. When Truman took over the Japanese were scared of him. One of the reasons was his name when they translated it was True-man.

Keep writing and reporting the real news. As the truth spreads, even the adherents to the new religion of politics can be set free.

Have you read the book Production vs. Plunder by Paul Rosenberg? One of the best books that gets to the core of the current war on The West. Mind opening survey of history from Sumaria, hard on the Christians of the past, but honest in his evaluation but not agenda driven. The best book on our current situation from a historical perspective.

• November 24, 2015 9:30 am

Thank you so much Charles, I feel very good! I agree with you about Carson mot being a fighter, he just doesn’t seem to have it in him and that is okay for what his profession was but I don’t think it helps him in politics.
        I have not read that book but I have now added it to my reading list, thanks for the suggestion.

• Dr. Jeff permalink
      November 22, 2015 11:16 pm

A Trump/Cruz ticket has some interesting possibilities. Trump as idea man walking point and Cruz as VP working the politicians the way Cheney did.

I still want Col. West for Sec Def and Gowdy for Attorney General.

• petermc3 permalink
        November 22, 2015 11:40 pm

So then Doc it would seem a fundamental flaw running through we America loving conservatives is a desire for men of high character and morals to lead and save this country. No wonder we are, as Clinton maintains, enemy number one for democrats.

• November 22, 2015 11:47 pm

That’s what came to my mind too. The ‘entertainment Illuminati world’ has really been pushing and conditioning people though for a women Prez. But T & C would make a strong team.

• November 23, 2015 8:39 am

Trump has said he would consider Cruz for VP so it is not out of the question. I really wanted Allen West to run for President. maybe next time.

November 23, 2015 1:39 pm

I like the way you think, Dr. J! 😉

2. November 22, 2015 9:14 pm

While I like Trump’s maverick style–refreshing–for me it is highly unlikely that he will be the GOP nominee. A tad too rough hewned for most, I suspect. Frankly, I’m worried that if he were the nominee, Comrade Hillary would wipe the floor with him in a debate. She’s slick with no substance; he is substance without the slick. And with a dumbed donw electorate, slick wins today. I’m hoping for a Cruz or even Rubio nomination, but, alas, nothing is really a sure thing anymore. Dangerously weird times we live in.

• petermc3 permalink
      November 22, 2015 9:18 pm

If we could raise the spirit of Vince Foster…game over.

• November 23, 2015 8:42 am

I also believe he will be destroyed by Hillary in the debates. I don’t think she is a great debater but as you said she is slick and I think the people are fooled by her. I think with all the candidates on stage in the GOP primary it can hide Trump a little bit but when it is one on one I am not sure he will do all that well. Who knows though…

November 23, 2015 1:52 pm

You know, I do not think she is as “slick” as she once was. The media has been running cover for her. What I see is still dangerous, but I do not think she is the formidable opponent that she might have been 8 or 10 years ago. I also think that it is not so much her that the next republican candidate needs to be afraid of, but her handlers. I think her age is catching up to her along with memory problems and just plain health problems….she is slowing down.

I will not sell Trump short on this one, he is shrewd and if he doesn’t have the answer, he probably has many people standing behind him that will find out what is needed. I cannot see him falling for the extra votes that were packed into those ballot boxes last time or bowing to the media…he could not give a rats butt what they think. This is what I want in MY White House, crude as he may be, he is a fighter and a fighter is what we need. We need a person to be feared, not laughed at. We need a person that will tell someone to screw off and MEAN IT. We do not need a red line drawer or a golfer that will avoid whatever he can and then blame it on someone else. No, I will not write him off just yet and I will hope that Cruz will throw his towel in the ring with him. We still have a few good men and women that are willing to fight for us, please do not say they do not have a chance. If we say that, then they will not.

If there is a debate between Trump and Clinton, it will depend on who the moderators are and if they bow to her in the debate….that will be evident early on, if it happens. The GOPe will do wise to stand behind Trump if he is the candidate that WE THE PEOPLE choose….now, ask me if they will actually do that? No, probably not, I almost hate to say this, but I believe that some of the establishment would much rather that Clinton would get in over Trump….sad, huh? Those are the people we need to take out of office and we already know who they are!!!

• November 23, 2015 7:56 pm

I think you are probably right about Hillary, she is not as slick as she once was but this mainly goes unnoticed because the MSM is covering for her. You are also right about the moderators and at least with Trump we maybe can count on the fact that he will not put up with moderators who are not fair. Of course the MSM will spin that also to make it sound as if he is afraid of Hillary or simply whining about the media…

November 23, 2015 7:59 pm

If anyone can come up with another candidate that will stand firm, please tell me. It is going to take a seasoned person for this job.

3. petermc3 permalink
    November 22, 2015 9:18 pm

…and lets not forget Ron Brown.

• November 23, 2015 8:43 am

There are hundreds more as well…

• petermc3 permalink
        November 23, 2015 8:48 am

Wasn’t there 43 unexplained or curious deaths connected to the Clinton’s and Rose Law firm White Water scandal; including several Arkansas State troopers?

• November 23, 2015 9:12 am

Here is a post I did in 2007, I forget where I got the list from though:

November 23, 2015 10:46 am

• November 23, 2015 8:06 pm

That was fantastic, thank for sharing it!

5. November 24, 2015 12:28 am

It will be interesting to see where Carson’s voters wind up.

• November 24, 2015 9:32 am

I agree and I think they are going to continue to drop off as we get closer to the election. Right now Cruz seems to be benefiting from it but the way this race is going that could change.

1. New Iowa poll has Ted Cruz in a virtual tie with Donald Trump | America's Watchtower