December 20th open thread: Trains

December 20, 2015

open-threadHere is the open thread for Sunday, December 20th. Please feel free to post links to interesting articles and to discuss whatever issues arise during the course of the day. Nothing is off-topic here.

This week we covered 12 stories, did you miss any of them? If so there is an easy way to make sure it does not happen again. I understand that all of you are busy and cannot always find the time to check the blog for updates so why not subscribe to America’s Watchtower and receive email updates whenever I write a new post? That is the easiest way to follow the blog to ensure you never miss another post.

In addition to subscribing you can also follow America’s Watchtower on Facebook and Twitter by clicking the links on the right. But you will get more than that for I often post links to articles I probably will not be writing about so it is a great way to keep up with what is happening.

The Twitter widget in the sidebar is fully interactive. This widget updates my tweets in real time and allows you to respond to or retweet my tweets right from the blog. It also allows you to tweet me right from America’s Watchtower. How cool is that! If you do not have a Twitter account what better reason do you need to sign up for one!

This week’s musical selection comes from a band called Porcupine Tree and it is entitled “Trains.” This version is interesting because in the middle of the song Steven Wilson breaks a guitar string and instead of playing on he halts the song to get a new guitar. He then makes sure he gets back into the same place he was before continuing.

frui diem

1. December 20, 2015 8:12 am

Hello, Everyone ..

December 20, 2015 8:47 am

Morning SDL! I love trains, those “Modern trains” were something to look at. I may be alone in my thoughts on trains, but to me they are “alive” and always have been. From early on, my Uncle Earl instilled a love of trains in all of us cousins that has never gone away, I do have a personal preference of the steam engines!
      Now, to that second video, he is a funny guy, I need a bit of light heartedness right about now. Have a good day!

• December 20, 2015 2:02 pm

Hello, I remember that your son play Ska

A man at the train station, by himself, a luggage by his side, with sad cold eyes, enter the shadow….Fade To Grey

This One You Might Know

Two Down (Jihadi) Again in Switzerland…. Bern and Geneva in Alert UN Building = Fort Knox.

December 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Hate to hear that is going on.

• December 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi Swiss – neat train vid!

• petermc3 permalink
        December 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Hey SDL,
        It’s my son who is the bass player for the Ska punk band Streetlight Manifesto. Check them out. they are quite dynamic. My son is a classically trained jazz musician with a masters degree in music and after almost 10 years of non-stop touring around the world he teaches music to special ed classes and plays in the jazz and blues scene in the NY/NJ metro area. I have always enjoyed the Ethiopians’ old style ska and as we should all know Ska was the precursor to Raggae. For some equally cool old style ska try Prince Buster and stir it up mannnn!
        Thanks for the video and keep up the good work my brotha from a different motha…

• December 21, 2015 8:11 pm

I remember you telling us this before and that name sounds familiar, I have to check them out!

• December 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks for sharing all the vids SDL!

• December 22, 2015 2:30 am

Here For Peter (ire)

• December 21, 2015 6:16 pm

Swiss, Peter sent you a message but put it under my feed – scroll down to where I stated ‘neat train vid’ to see it. 😊

• December 22, 2015 12:07 pm

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SManifesto/

• December 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks for sharing this!

December 20, 2015 8:23 am

Not a bad pic for this morning music choice, a bit more mellow than usual?
    I was listening to Red Eye Radio last night, like I always do….they were talking about Yale and the “Safe Spot” that alot of these school students are demanding in this school and ones across the country….well, here is my take on that. Where I grew up and went to school, the only safe spot I had was at HOME. There was no such thing at school that even remotely resembled one of those spots. We had what were called “Friends” that watched your back, when you went to the bathroom or were getting dressed for PE. The bus was a major issue, as well. Going to and from school on the bi-state (Missouri and Illinois) bus, over the Maximum limit and many people got pushed out the back door when the bus was stopped. No adult coddling us there, either. No, there was no safe spot in school, but you know what? I am a stronger person today because of what I dealt with back then. I still know where my exits are when I walk into a building and I still sit with my back to a wall, if at all possible, so I can see the entrance and exits. That has been instilled in me, from that LACK OF SAFE SPOTS! What are these students going to be as adults if they need a spot to go to because they either feel unsafe OR picked on? The schools are seeing to it, that none of these kids will have a stiff backbone to stand up against anything……

• December 20, 2015 7:11 pm

Porcupine Tree have some heavier songs as well and their early music is compared to Pink Floyd quite a bit. They have a few different styles but I always liked this one.
      My only safe spot was at home as well and in a way it made me stronger and helped to prepare me for the real world. These kids are pampered to the point where when they hit the real world they will be unprepared for how difficult it can be.

3. December 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Of course brings to mind:

I like trains!

December 20, 2015 7:04 pm

This is MY version of TRAINS! Growing up we “lived” trains in East St. Louis. This particular one came to Decatur, Il a few years ago passing thru to St. Louis:

She is under her own steam power, pulling a couple diesels along with her. Have you ever seen anything so beautiful and alive? If you wonder why I refer to this steam engine as a “SHE”, well only a female would have this beauty and grace and power! My Gandpa was an engineer, in case you wonder why I am enthralled with STEAM!

• December 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks Lou! Very Neat! Trains not only have a history to them but a mystique as well, I think. They’re kind-of are a world unto themselves, taking the passengers for a ride, that actually brings them somewhere purposeful in a unique and scenic way! The sounds and the feel of the wheels and tracks.
        Like how you express the qualities of this train! The old ‘steam’ pushers, I’m sure your Grandpa had some entertaining stories!

December 20, 2015 8:35 pm

I wonder, does anyone else have a Chantal tea kettle that has a 2-tone Hohner harmonica whistle? It sounds like a train!

• December 21, 2015 6:37 am

Can’t say that I do Lou, but I remember my grandmother using a tea kettle when I was young but it did not sound like a train whistle. It had a high pitched whistle.

December 21, 2015 8:04 am

This is nothing like a single whistle, it is 2 tone and sounds just like a train. I could microwave the water, but this is so much cooler to hear it, I let it wail for a short time…..but then again, I have the theme song from Dexter on my phone for my sons ringer and let it play before I answer, too. Wierd? I think not!

• December 22, 2015 6:39 am

Now I have to go look up the theme song from Dexter…

December 22, 2015 9:07 am

Dexter is also on Netflix and it is very addictive to watch! He is a serial killer, but for GOOD, so now you need to watch it!
        My oldest grandson that is almost 6, when he was just a little over a year old, when the program came on and the theme song started playing, he went into a trance. He would stop what he was doing and just listen til it was over. It is mesmerizing, there is just something about that song!

• December 20, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks for sharing Zip and Lou, and of course there is this one:

• December 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Thought of that one too Steve – glad you posted it!

December 20, 2015 8:36 pm

You just cannot beat a Cash song, can you?

• December 21, 2015 6:40 am

Johnny is the man! Can never go wrong there. Here is another one, this one is from my favorite band of all time and it is called “Jumping Someone Else’s Train.” It is actually about following fads and trends so that you can fit in.

4. December 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Something you all might like … grab some Kleenex! (best to watch full screen)

• December 20, 2015 7:20 pm

Very nice Zip, thanks for sharing!

5. Bruce permalink
    December 20, 2015 7:27 pm

AN important article connected to trains: namely THE TRAIN WRECK that leftism is. http://www.dennisprager.com/dont-republicans-identify-fighting/ Prager is right! Let’s be honest and face the true enemy.

• December 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Very good article Bruce, thanks for sharing it!

6. December 20, 2015 7:44 pm

A poem by Benjamin Franklin:

• December 20, 2015 8:10 pm

Wonderful, thanks for sharing it!

7. petermc3 permalink
    December 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Box tops- Choo Choo Train
    Monkees-Last Train to Clarksville
    Engine Engine #9-Roger Miller
    Last Train to London-ELO
    Little Red Caboose-childrens standard

Someone shared this with me and since this is the season of giving and sharing with family and friends I am sharing this with your’s and Bunker’s readers:

THE DEBT CEILING: I love it when a complicated situation can be explained in such simple terms!

* Democrats don’t understand THE DEBT CEILING
    * Republicans don’t understand THE DEBT CEILING
    * Liberals don’t understand THE DEBT CEILING
    * NO ONE understands THE DEBT CEILING

* SO, allow me to explain.

Let’s say you come home from work and find there has been a sewer backup in your neighborhood.Your home has sewage all the way up to your ceiling.

What do you think you should do —

1. raise the ceiling, or
    2. pump out the shit?
    Your choice is coming in November.

• December 20, 2015 8:11 pm

Love it!

• December 21, 2015 5:15 am

• December 21, 2015 6:41 am

Who knew there were so many songs about trains?

December 21, 2015 4:19 am

Is this close to home, Steve? Just read this article and thought that no state is immune to having these threats, thanks to our wonderful Commander in Chief that is taking his leisurely vacation!

• December 21, 2015 6:48 am

Too close for my comfort! It is about 45 minutes from me! Yeah, nowhere is safe. Manchester, Nashua, and Concord are all big cities close to me and I would guess these would be the most likely targets.

December 21, 2015 4:29 am

Another good article coming out of ILLINOIS, bet that surprises everyone! There ARE actually alot of conservatives that live here, but you would not know it because of all of the votes (illegal ones) that come out of Cook County when they need them to push the liberal agenda over the top. This is Joe Walsh (no Steve, not the one you like) and what he had to say:

• December 21, 2015 6:51 am

Very interesting article! I read a story about how it might be the Republican establishment which will go third party if Trump is the nominee and not the other way around. Of course it was in Politico so they could have been just trying to stir the pot.

10. December 21, 2015 6:03 am

Like that show, hope they don’t ended….

• December 21, 2015 6:52 am

I have never seen the show but I hear it is very good.

• Bruce permalink
      December 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Swiss, thank you so much. Such a fantastic show! I love every episode, and just last night I said I have to find out about the music! It is so good.

December 21, 2015 2:17 pm

It is GOOD, but IF you have Netflix, do NOT watch episode after episode…I have done that before on a show and lost track of time….I kind of think that might not be a good thing to do! 😉

• Bruce permalink
        December 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Lou, I don’t know if you get See’s Candy back there. I was told it was a west coast thing, but it is the best candy in the world, and I don’t care for candy. Anyway, the family would get 1 small box at Christmas. We got to pick 1 piece every night no cheating, no sampling, no complaining. Regardless of the item, my mother always said “save it for later”. Losing the farm during the great depression obviously shaped her thoughts.
        So, to make a short story long, we dole out our shows very sparingly There are so few really good ones, I want them to last forever.

December 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Yes, I believe we can get it, but have never tried it. When I was young I took classical piano from a little old man, Mr. Charles. When I did an extra special job on my lessons, I would get a little Marzipan candy shaped like fruit. I would nibble at it or sometimes just save it to look at it, so I know what you are saying. I remember people reusing foil and wax paper, anything that could be saved. I still have my Mom’s wooden darning egg and darning thread…now you just buy more socks….I did learn how to fix the socks, however. I also learned on my Grandmothers old Singer Treadle sewing machine…I always joked that to back stitch you had to turn the material around and you had to have a consistent motion on the pedal or you would break the thread. I still have all the bobbins and parts for her, she is one of my prized posessions. The cabinet is wooden and in good shape and I know how to sew with POWER. I have so many of my Grandparents and Great-grandparents furniture and we have alot that belonged to my husbands family as well. My kitchen table is an old pedestal table that has 1920 stamped on it (the year my parents were born), we have a wooden Magnola (like a Victrola) that we restored and can play the 78 records on, 2 secretary desks, lots of other pieces of furniture. I consider myself lucky to have gotten these things. This is a “throw away” society and the manufacturers do not make anything to last very long now. I hope my kids will want what I have and pass it down.

• Bruce permalink
        December 21, 2015 6:55 pm

So true Lou, so true. My school sandwiches were wrapped with the wax paper liner from inside a cereal box.

December 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Ha, after reading what I wrote, I think I sound like my grandparents or parents. I guess it is good to know where you came from and at least have knowledge of the “bad times”. My parents made more money than their parents and we always had what we needed, but not always what we wanted. Still, I could see them struggling at times. I paid for my own college and my brothers and I worked jobs from early on, we were not expected to be slackers. Now, I am not so sure that is the way it is. I have just the 2 grandsons and my son knows what it is to work his butt off to succeed, he knows all the trade skills on top of his engineering, so I know they will never starve if times get tough. I know people think it can never happen again, the depression, but they better open their eyes….things are not what they seem. Our country cannot afford to bring in more people that will forever be on the government dole. Why that would be hard to understand, I do not know. I never like going out on a limb with payments and we live within our budgets, but the Government cannot seem to do that. Do they really think that they can continue taxing us more and more and we will not finally say ENOUGH? I guess we need to get back to a simpler time when credit was not so easily attained. We need to take care of people that are BORN citizens, we just cannot absorb any more people. That doesn’t make us bad, that makes us smart.

• December 21, 2015 8:14 pm

I have to admit I don’t know what a darning egg is!

• Bruce permalink
        December 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Steve, it’s a little wooden ball with a handle great to hit your sister with.

• December 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Ah, okay. I guess I am going to have to get one!

December 21, 2015 9:30 pm

Ok then, it is the shape of an egg with a handle on it. You insert it into the sock with the hole in it, then you mold the rest of the sock around the egg and the darning thread has many strands to it and you weave back and forth to make a new section of the sock to fill in where the hole was. The thread is very soft.

December 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Sometimes I wonder, do boys grow up? How did I survive with all brothers and boy cousins? Steve, here is a link to the darning eggs:

• December 21, 2015 9:33 pm

I think I will just buy a new package of socks. 🙂

December 21, 2015 9:36 pm

During my grandparents time, you just could not go out and buy new socks….see how damn lucky you are now? I would be in trouble, I itch horribly with wool and most socks were make out of wool. Not only would my feet itch, but the palms of my hands, too.

• Bruce permalink
        December 21, 2015 9:41 pm

A wool sweater is like wearing poison oak, but at least the itch stops when you take it off.

• Bruce permalink
        December 21, 2015 9:38 pm

No Lou, we never do, “darn it”.

December 21, 2015 9:57 pm

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce!

• December 22, 2015 2:47 am

Bruce,S5Ep07..they can let go like that, they still have a few miles to the pacific

• December 22, 2015 6:42 am

No Lou, I don’t think boys grow up. I saw a thing on Facebook which said no matter how old you are bonking someone on the head with an empty wrapping paper tube is funny and immediately I had the urge to do it!

• Bruce permalink
        December 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Swiss, I am only starting season 2 so I have a long way to go, but glad to see the video. I never saw him outside the show.

December 21, 2015 9:38 pm

On a different note, what has anyone actually heard about the Las Vegas report that sound legit? I am hearing different things and not sure who to believe. Was it a terrorist act?

• December 21, 2015 9:43 pm

While the initial reports ruled out terrorism it appears as if the sheriff has not and he is “not comfortable” telling us what she told him.

• Bruce permalink
      December 21, 2015 9:43 pm

The “official” response is that it isn’t terror, which means it might be.

December 21, 2015 9:58 pm

I was kind afraid of that, it is usually what they do NOT say that sends up my antenna! Guess we will only get the “official” word and we will like it, right?

12. petermc3 permalink
    December 22, 2015 8:32 am

Hey SDL,
    Love your latest videos especially the Trojan labels. Perfidia in the ska genre is a knockout right up there with Los Tres Panchos’ version! Again, the arrangements I have in my head for Otis Redding, the Chambers brothers etc etc music are endless but unlike my son i am neither a musician nor a song writer so…….Thanks again and keep it coming SDL.