Sunday, February 7th open thread: The Diamond Sea

February 7, 2016

open-threadHere is the open thread for Sunday, February 7th. Please feel free to post links to interesting articles and to discuss whatever issues arise during the course of the day. Nothing is off-topic here.

Last week was a busy one with 15 stories covered–I know some of you are probably getting tired of my anti-Trump posts but this is something I feel strongly about and  feel I must continue–did you miss any of them? If so there is an easy way to make sure it does not happen again. I understand that all of you are busy and cannot always find the time to check the blog for updates so why not subscribe to America’s Watchtower and receive email updates whenever I write a new post? That is the easiest way to follow the blog to ensure you never miss another post.

In addition to subscribing you can also follow America’s Watchtower on Facebook and Twitter by clicking the links on the right. But you will get more than that for I often post links to articles I probably will not be writing about so it is a great way to keep up with what is happening.

The Twitter widget in the sidebar is fully interactive. This widget updates my tweets in real time and allows you to respond to or retweet my tweets right from the blog. It also allows you to tweet me right from America’s Watchtower. How cool is that! If you do not have a Twitter account what better reason do you need to sign up for one!

Here is Sonic Youth performing “The Diamond Sea” live from 1996. I have not heard this song in years but there seems to be some symbolism in the lyrics which I never really caught before: he sings about the mirror stealing your soul, I wonder if this is an allusion to getting caught up in the material world, but maybe it is about an unhappy marriage. I don’t know but enjoy:

frui diem

1. February 7, 2016 8:15 am

A Little History :The lyrics of the song tell a true story: on 4 December 1971 Deep Purple were in Montreux, Switzerland, where they had set up camp to record an album using a mobile recording studio (rented from the Rolling Stones and known as the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio—referred to as the “Rolling truck Stones thing” and “a mobile” in the song lyrics) at the entertainment complex that was part of the Montreux Casino (referred to as “the gambling house” in the song lyric). On the eve of the recording session, a Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention concert was held in the casino’s theatre. This was to be the theatre’s final concert before the casino complex closed down for its annual winter renovations, which would allow Deep Purple to record there. At the beginning of Don Preston’s synthesizer solo on “King Kong”, the place suddenly caught fire when somebody in the audience fired a flare gun toward the rattan covered ceiling, as mentioned in the “some stupid with a flare gun” line. The resulting fire destroyed the entire casino complex, along with all the Mothers’ equipment. The “smoke on the water” that became the title of the song (credited to bass guitarist Roger Glover, who related how the title occurred to him when he suddenly woke from a dream a few days later) referred to the smoke from the fire spreading over Lake Geneva from the burning casino as the members of Deep Purple watched the fire from their hotel. “It was probably the biggest fire I’d ever seen up to that point and probably ever seen in my life” said bass guitarist Roger Glover, “It was a huge building. I remember there was very little panic getting out, because it didn’t seem like much of a fire at first. But, when it caught, it went up like a fireworks display”. The “Funky Claude” running in and out is referring to Claude Nobs, the director of the Montreux Jazz Festival who helped some of the audience escape the fire. (Wiki)

February 7, 2016 12:00 pm

There is always a story behind a song, isn’t there? Love that song!

• February 7, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks SDL, I knew the song was based on a true story but I never really read all the details before.

• February 7, 2016 4:34 pm

Oops, Steve left you a question under my stream – plz check! Thanks!

• February 7, 2016 4:20 pm

INTERESTING. Learned something new! I wonder why that guy fired off a flare ‘inside the joint’! Makes one wonder. People just don’t carry a ‘flare gun’ around w/ them! Thanks Swiss!

• February 7, 2016 4:24 pm

I have a feeling there was drugs or alcohol involved. 😉 But then again you bring up a good point, why was this person carrying a flare gun in the first place? It does make you wonder…

• February 7, 2016 4:28 pm

Steve, do you remember who sang the other version of Jolene (I think it was Bruce who said this singer did a better version it than Dolly)? Checking on a song to add. Thanks!
        And ‘yes’ drugs, but why a drugie w/ a flare gun!

• February 7, 2016 4:54 pm

I don’t remember who Bruce said did a better version of the song, I looked it up and didn’t find a name which I found familiar. Your second question is a great one!

• February 7, 2016 5:05 pm

I was trying to remember to see if it were Iris, but I think it was someone else. Thanks!

• February 7, 2016 5:53 pm

You are welcome, but I wasn’t much help.

• February 7, 2016 6:09 pm

Steve, the singer Belle Starr – Peter’s the one who mentioned her. Yes, I looked back thru the postings! The women’s group named themselves after the Bandit Queen “Belle Starr”. They sang Joleen The Burning Of Atlanta album.
        A bit of the Bandit’s History:

• February 7, 2016 6:07 pm

I just did some digging on the blog and it turns out it was Peter not Bruce and it was Belle Starr.

• February 7, 2016 6:10 pm

We both must be on the same White Sub!!

• February 8, 2016 6:54 am

Hello Zip !
        The Smoking Gun :
        Montreux is by The Lake Of Geneva, You can access by Boat and when you get a boat you must get that gun on board.

• February 8, 2016 1:09 pm

Hmmm. I bet he took it from the boat! Back then security was loose – not to say it can’t happen today, just more people have to be paid off – so I can see that happening. A drugged mind, boozed up … or ‘intent’? Who knows. Thanks Swiss interesting. Beautiful area – scenery – God made there!

• petermc3 permalink
      February 7, 2016 8:32 pm

Good one SDL. Makes one wonder about the inspiration for Hush. 🎼🎸🎷🎹.

• petermc3 permalink
      February 7, 2016 9:33 pm

Hey SDL you obviously have an eclectic taste in music so check out Streetlight Manifesto. My son Peter is the bass player.

• February 8, 2016 8:07 am

Hello Peter

There is a Klemzer side to it with a touch of Rancid
        Nice Videos, Serious Work ! Just need the big Hit I suppose…

• petermc3 permalink
        February 8, 2016 8:40 am

Hey SDL,
        Thanks for taking a listen to SLM.

• February 8, 2016 1:23 pm

Peter I will keep the link with some other band or artists that I follow, and will look again at Streetlight Manisfesto.
        At The Moment I’m bit in electro synt pop…

• February 8, 2016 7:11 pm

They are very good Peter!

February 7, 2016 11:57 am

Hi SDL! Here is a bit more history for us to learn today:

Why our history is so important….. Too bad most people ignore the wisdom of men like Jefferson!

What a remarkable man. Makes everyone else look like an……… underachiever.
    Thomas Jefferson

His Portrait is on the Two Dollar Bill.

This is amazing.
    There are two parts.
    Be sure to read
    The 2nd part (in RED ).

Thomas Jefferson
    Was a very remarkable man who started
    Learning very
    Early in life and never stopped.

At 5, began
    Studying under his cousin’s tutor.

At 9, studied
    Latin, Greek and French.

At 14, studied
    Classical literature and additional languages.

At 16, entered
    The College of William and Mary.
    Also could write in Greek with one hand
    While writing the same in Latin with the other.

At 19, studied
    Law for 5 years starting under George Wythe.

At 23, started
    His own law practice.

At 25, was
    Elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses.

At 31, wrote the
    Widely circulated “Summary View of the Rights of British America” And
    Retired from his law practice.

At 32, was a
    Delegate to the Second Continental Congress.

At 33, wrote the
    Declaration of Independence.

At 33, took
    Three years to revise Virginia’s legal code and wrote a Public Education
    Bill and a statute for Religious Freedom.

At 36, was
    Elected the second Governor of Virginia succeeding Patrick
    Henry.

At 40, served in
    Congress for two years.

At 41, was the
    American minister to France and
    Negotiated commercial treaties with
    European nations
    Along with Ben
    Franklin and John Adams..

At 46, served as
    The first Secretary of State
    Under George
    Washington.

At 53, served as
    Vice President and was elected
    President of the American Philosophical
    Society.

At 55, drafted
    The Kentucky Resolutions and
    Became the active head of Republican
    Party.

At 57, was
    Elected the third president of the
    United
    States.

At 60, obtained
    The Louisiana Purchase doubling
    The nation’s
    Size.

At 61, was
    Elected to a second term as President.

At 65, retired
    To Monticello.

At 80, helped
    President Monroe shape the
    Monroe
    Doctrine.

At 81, almost
    Single-handedly created the University of Virginia and served as its first
    President.

At 83, died on
    The 50th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Independence along
    With John Adams.

Thomas Jefferson
    Knew because he himself studied the previous failed attempts at government.
    He understood
    Actual history, the nature of God, His laws and the nature
    Of man. That happens to be way more than what most understand
    Today.

Jefferson really knew his stuff.

A voice from the past to lead us in the future:

John F. Kennedy
    Held a dinner in the White House for a group of the brightest minds
    In the nation at that time. He made this statement: “This is perhaps
    The assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in
    The White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined
    Alone.”

“When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in
    Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.” —
    Thomas
    Jefferson

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
    Who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

Thomas
    Jefferson

“It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes.
    A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.”

Thomas
    Jefferson

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
    From wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” —
    Thomas
    Jefferson

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government
    Results from too much government.” —
    Thomas
    Jefferson

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” —
    Thomas
    Jefferson

“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
    Is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”

Thomas
    Jefferson

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time
    With the blood of patriots and tyrants.” —
    Thomas
    Jefferson

“To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he
    Disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Thomas
    Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than
    Standing armies.

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their
    Currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the
    Banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks
    will deprive the people of all property – until
    their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.”

I wish we could get this out to every American!

I’m doing my part.

• February 7, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks for sharing that Lou! It is remarkable all he accomplished and when you compare him to all of today’s career politicians who do nothing else in life but enrich themselves while they supposedly server the people and you can see why we are in the trouble we are in today.

February 8, 2016 10:24 am

I think people, in general, have lost sight of what is the true meaning of being an American. There was a reason those patriots did what they did. Now it is all about money and control. That is not “who we are”, as Obama likes to say. We are “better than that”, is another of his comments….well it is NOT who we are and we ARE better than that…we just have to remember those 2 things. Of course my meaning of what he said and what he meant are exact opposites. We need to make sure that people get off their asses and VOTE, that is for starters…they need to get involved with their local political agendas, as well. We need to hold politicians accountable for what they do and call them on it when they don’t do what WE THE PEOPLE want them to do. No, it will not be easy and it would be so much easier to sit and watch the tube or just ignore it, but we see what that has gotten us. Ok, I am done.

• February 8, 2016 7:12 pm

Well said Lou! And of course instead of teaching our children what it means to be an American our schools are teaching them how bad America is…

3. February 7, 2016 1:17 pm

• February 7, 2016 4:13 pm

An interesting version of that song and I loved the video!

4. February 7, 2016 4:17 pm

I didn’t watch the debate last night but after seeing all the stories about how Rubio crashed and burned I wish I had!

5. February 7, 2016 4:51 pm

Nice & mellow:

Let The Mystery Be

(Sometimes it’s good to know a mystery, esp. when it relates to one’s Eternity! The Good News – to know it and trust it.)

Pulling it together:

• February 7, 2016 5:00 pm

Interesting song choices today, I hadn’t heard them before. The last video was interesting, jump aboard the Truth!

• petermc3 permalink
      February 7, 2016 8:36 pm

Good one SDL. Makes one wonder about the inspiration for Hush. 🎼🎸🎷🎹.

• petermc3 permalink
      February 7, 2016 8:39 pm

These first two selections remind us country music is more than mainstream Nashville’s rock with a steel guitar.

February 8, 2016 10:29 am

Loved the girls voice…have always known about the first group, I have a daughter that listened to them all the time….not sure what to think of the last video, will have to mull it over for awhile.

• February 8, 2016 1:14 pm

Agree Lou, nice and unique voice! I came across the Boyz while looking for something and liked it. Your daughter let you know about all sorts of new tunes didn’t she! Yes, the last vid a bit different. The singing about ‘the Mystery’ brought it to mind. Some mysteries have been revealed, but the powers that be don’t want us knowing them because it lessens their mind control over the masses! I’d really like a ride on that sub! What fun!

February 8, 2016 2:32 pm

I would rather they NOT try and control my mind, I have a hard enough time keeping the jumbled thoughts in there in my own order, haha! Ya, my daughter (41) was into the 80’s song. My son (36) that is 5 years younger than her likes the 70’s now…he “borrows” my vinyl now and then when he is home…you can imagine they never find their way back here! I gave him alot of my 45’s for the jukebox we gave him..it was a 50ish sebring that he did some repair on….I also made sure he had plenty of Paul Anka 45’s and told him he always had to keep at least one of them on it at all times…I never really like Anka either, but it is the control I still have over him that is fun. Also the first spot has 96 Tears by Question Mark and the Mysterians in it…another of my “requests”.
        Set my Gravatar with a pic of the old Jukebox.

February 8, 2016 4:37 pm

Misspell….it is SEEBURG, not SEBRING….was thinking car, for some reason…sorry

• February 8, 2016 12:48 pm

….Did Like The Voice Very Much On : Let The Mystery Be ( just missing the part where she spit Tobacco on the floor 😉

February 8, 2016 1:06 pm

Haha, she doesn’t look like she “chews”! Of course she is a “country girl”, so guess she could! I have seen other videos of her singing with Emmy Lou Harris, another beautiful voice!

This weekend here in town, we had the Central Illinois Jazz Festival..alot of Zydeco, Dixieland, etc…groups I have seen for years that are wonderful together (they seem like it is effortless) and up and coming young kids that are making a go at it. The bad thing is, we only saw mainly 50-ish on up in ages of the ones there at the Festival…that was disappointing…maybe they were home playing their X-boxes instead….they were missing out on ALOT.
        One group, in particular, is special to me…that is the band from St. Louis (St. Louis Rivermen, now they go by a different name) that played on the River Boats….Jean Kittrell was the piano player. I know I have mentioned it before and posted a video of her playing in her “shimmy dresses”, she was a hoot…now in her 80’s, I believe she is still living. Anyway, we had a wonderful meal (prime rib) and music to listen to while eating and then venues set up around the Conference center to sit and enjoy the different groups. I love the cajun sounds with the fiddles, and of course dixieland, as well. It was a long evening, but worth the money….only once a year!

• February 8, 2016 1:20 pm

Hey, you quit picking on us turbac-cur chewers!! Yes, it did have that feel to it didn’t it. Andy of Mayberry had some good players on now and then – from dem thar back hills!

February 8, 2016 2:38 pm

Zip, if you want to or do chew, chew away! Would never presume to tell you that you could NOT. Somehow, you don’t “sound” like you chew, haha!

6. petermc3 permalink
    February 7, 2016 8:01 pm

Here’s my thoughts on Open Line Sunday:
    How could the $5 Milliom per 30 second Super Bowl spots be better spent? How about 330 of those $15,000 special wheelchairs for our military disabled? How about one of Michelle Obama’s $50 Million+ vacations going for 3,300 of those special wheelchairs?
    GO BRONCOS!!! 🐴

• February 7, 2016 9:32 pm

Is that what if costs this year?! It is hard to believe this is money well spent, how many people are actually swayed to buy something from these commercials. I don’t really cares who wins this game but I am glad it is close so far. Hoping for an exciting second half.

• petermc3 permalink
        February 7, 2016 9:52 pm

I was pulling for Carolina until Cam Fig Newton made his stupid anti-white remark about the mistreatment of negro QB’s by the NFL. What a racist jerk making $millions a year for his proven and applied talents thanks to da white man’s racist football league. I’m so tired of this bullshit. And when do we ever hear any white player mention that 12% of the population represents 98% of the NBA rosters and never mind the % of negro players in the NFL and MLB? The answer is never publicly unless they want to fatten the coffers of Jesse “I have a scheme” Jakson and Al “Sharppy” Sharpton.

• February 8, 2016 7:14 pm

I missed that comment Peter but I would love to be mistreated to the contract he has!

February 8, 2016 10:32 am

If Jay-Z is involved, I doubt there would be any money going to people that are deserving. Peter, it IS all about RACE now, guess we just have to accept that, right? Reverse racism doesn’t count!