February 28th open thread: ‘Kiss Off’

February 28, 2016

open-threadHere is the open thread for Sunday, February 28th. Please feel free to post links to interesting articles and to discuss whatever issues arise during the course of the day. Nothing is off-topic here.

Last week we covered 9 stories, did you miss any of them? If so there is an easy way to make sure it does not happen again. I understand that all of you are busy and cannot always find the time to check the blog for updates so why not subscribe to America’s Watchtower and receive email updates whenever I write a new post? That is the easiest way to follow the blog to ensure you never miss another post.

In addition to subscribing you can also follow America’s Watchtower on Facebook and Twitter by clicking the links on the right. But you will get more than that for I often post links to articles I probably will not be writing about so it is a great way to keep up with what is happening.

The Twitter widget in the sidebar is fully interactive. This widget updates my tweets in real time and allows you to respond to or retweet my tweets right from the blog. It also allows you to tweet me right from America’s Watchtower. How cool is that! If you do not have a Twitter account what better reason do you need to sign up for one!

On a personal note: This Tuesday I will officially be off of light duty at work following my October 28th surgery! To be honest I think not lifting more than 10 pounds for 3 months was a little excessive, I did my best to adhere to doctor’s orders but it was tough because that meant I could not lift anything heavier than a gallon of water.

I feel great but it was a long road. Looking back on it now I realize while I talked a good game in the beginning I did not feel as good as I thought I did but now I am 100% and I thank God for giving me the strength to get through it, for my family who supported me during my time of need, and for this second opportunity to set my priorities straight.

Here is the Violent Femmes performing “Kiss Off” live from I would guess somewhere between the late ’80’s and early ’90’s.

frui diem

1. February 28, 2016 7:53 am

Helllo, A Little History : A Vicious Story
    When Frank Sinatra was in Las Vegas he saw The Performance of Sid Vicious on The My Way Song. Frank Sinatra said I want to kill that guy, My way was one his number one favorite song, singing it almost every time.
    Wanted Sid Vicious ..Dead. The Wish of Frank Sinatra has come true…

And now, the end is near;
    And so I face the final curtain.
    My friend, I’ll say it clear,
    I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain

After 30 years, a new take on Sid, Nancy and a punk rock mystery

• February 28, 2016 10:15 am

• February 28, 2016 7:17 pm

I think I posted Sid’s version of “My Way” before but I might not have. I always loved this version, thanks for sharing it!

2. February 28, 2016 7:59 am

A “kiss off”, in Brooklyn (NY), had numerous interpretations. Some sad, some sarcastic, some fatal. But as there is music posted, and the thought of “kiss”, not the rock band, but something nice, I think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzU8lyl5Ekw

• petermc3 permalink
      February 28, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks R III, haven’t heard this in quite a while.

• February 28, 2016 7:16 pm

I’d been thinking of that song recent Brit! Glad you posted it. She does a nice job. I really like the tune/music, the lyrics a bit strange. Thanks!

• February 28, 2016 8:12 pm

You’re welcome, Zip. (I think she’s real pretty, too.)

• February 28, 2016 8:27 pm

haha. Yes, it’s nice to see nice looking people doing quality things! Yep, I agree Brit. 🙂

• February 28, 2016 8:31 pm

😉 Yep. That’s right.

• February 28, 2016 7:19 pm

Kiss off to me always meant “go bleep yourself” to me, I never though of the kiss of death before. That was a great version of that song, thanks for sharing it.

• February 28, 2016 8:13 pm

You’re welcome.
        Humphrey Bogart movies, always looking to give someone the big kiss off.

• February 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Except, Bogart didn’t mind a kiss now and agin from the whistler. They actually fell in love doing that movie together:

• February 29, 2016 6:15 am

Love those old movies. TCM has some great ones on sometimes!

3. February 28, 2016 9:28 am

Congrats Steve on your remarkable recovery. I can’t imagine the stress of going through something like you have been through. Still, you blogged on!

• February 28, 2016 7:21 pm

Thanks Bunkerville! I had some dark days thinking about it and blogging provided me a distraction which was much needed. Once I turned to God I felt a burden was lifted and I was a peace, but I am sure glad it is all over now!

• February 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Yes, good news Steve. Glad the LORD decided to keep you around for awhile longer!! Changing our minds about thing or Someone can make a huge difference in the way we see life, others and ourselves. And the power of real Love, Truth and Hope!

• February 29, 2016 6:18 am

Thanks Zip, I am glad too! I certainly see life in another way now and I am also less stressed out about work.

4. petermc3 permalink
    February 28, 2016 9:45 am

Can you see Elvis laughing his ass off in rock n’ roll heaven listening to Sid’s rendition of My Way as opposed to Sinatra in wannabe gangster hell hiring thugs to go after him? 🔫

• February 28, 2016 7:22 pm

I always loved this version!

5. petermc3 permalink
    February 28, 2016 9:54 am

Also, for those who don’t know, Paul Anks wrote this song for Sinatra but Elvis made it his own. Hmmm, maybe Sinatra killed Elvis…

• February 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks for that info Peter, I had no idea Elvis sang it as well!

6. February 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Seeing if this works:

• February 28, 2016 8:37 pm

It’s an idea that a neighbor thought up, The main idea. I handed it over to Roger who does poster types of Art and he came up with the specifics! I did a few changes to it but the main idea gets across! Here’s Roger’s: https://plus.google.com/u/0/101116918213658434619/posts/2HHML8Jwtda?pid=6256198880765856562&oid=101116918213658434619

• February 29, 2016 6:21 am

I like how it works out that the arrow in Hillary points to the rest of the word.

• February 28, 2016 8:40 pm

You can click on the Hilly pic and it’ll bring you to a url where you can click on it to enlarge and read it more easily.

• February 29, 2016 6:19 am

Very good, thanks for sharing it. Wouldn’t you like to be “dead broke” like that?