Is Christianity a ‘box’ used to control people or is it a ‘box’ which will set you free?

April 22, 2018

Christianity's BoxDuring a very large two part treatise I wrote a few months ago I talked about the notion that some people believe Christianity is a box which is used to control people but I had a different take on it. Because this treatise was so long I think people might have missed this part of it so I thought I would would isolate this one portion and discuss it briefly because I think it is important.

Here is what I wrote: Many people consider Christianity to be a box which stifles free will and thought, a box which is used to control people, but I would argue the opposite. If you accept the Word you will be set free from the box which men use to bind you in the chains of this world.  Then, and only then, will you be truly free.

Let us continue:

The chains of this world are money, power, and status. (Man’s trinity?) There are more but these are probably the big three. If these, or any one of these, is what drives you than you are caught in a box. Man’s box. And this box is used by man to control you and to influence your thinking and your actions, but if you are seeking something greater than worldly power and wealth your reward will be far greater than anything you can accomplish in this world and that alone will set you free from man’s box.

We need only contrast the apostle Paul from Philippians 4:11-13 with the rich man in Mark 10:21-22: Paul said, : “11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” (NIV)

Paul wrote this while he was in prison, think about how powerful that makes his statement! But the rich man in Mark 10:21-22 was not happy with the way Jesus answered his question about getting into heaven: “21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.” (KJV)

Paul was content even while he was in chains because he was free, while the rich man found himself bound in the chains of his riches and he was sad. Paul accepted the Word while the rich man rejected it and which man was happier? The rich man had everything in this world that he wanted but he did not have everything he needed but on the other hand Paul might not have had everything he wanted but he had everything he needed.

Both men had a choice to make and we all have this same choice as well, which “box” will you choose? Choose wisely…

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” (Matthew 6:24 NIV)

1. April 23, 2018 8:04 am

😉

• April 23, 2018 11:40 am

Ha, nice addition Swiss! Pretty “lively” box!
      Cats like boxes too!

• April 23, 2018 6:38 pm

They sure do! Thanks for sharing.

• April 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for sharing SDL!

2. Bruce permalink
    April 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Your work on the New Testament and Denis Prager’s work on the Old Testament go very well together. Everyone makes their own mental image to understand an idea. Rather than a box, I think of a room, and Christ as a door out.

• April 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks, that is a compliment indeed! I take it you are enjoying Prager’s work, I am going to have to check it out. I like your image of Christ being the doorway out of a room!

3. April 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Interesting concept. A box can be a + or – depending on the source and intent of the box. Can a human with a sin nature (the premise) really ‘choose’ their box? Or must something/One outside of their box rescue them from it?
    A box within a box, is a Tesseract, Hypercube or a “Hellraiser succubus cube” used by occult/mysticism/ungodly.
    One can enter into the chamber of their heart, like its a box (enter into thy closet) which is hidden from all except God, like the most Holy Place – a holy box: “the veil shall serve for you as a partition between the holy place and the holy of holies [most holy].” Ex 26:33 The Tabernacle. The Ark, full of God’s LIFE & Salvation, first as “a safe haven boat” for Noah then a rectangular box of gold: Ark of God, containing the Covenant. Hebrews 9:4
    Regarding temptations in the ‘box of the world’ ~ which system is ruled in-part by the devil, who loves to “box people up” for his own evil intent and gain.
    “For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the [fallen into sin – antiGod] world.” 1 John 2:16
    “For among my people are found wicked men: they lay wait, as he that setteth snares; they set a trap, they catch men.” Jeremiah 5:26 {box them up!}
    The cross: I’d been thinking about how the ‘cross’ has been perverted to be something that it isn’t, resulting in putting people in a box of the enemy’s thinking (the serpent who uses and twists God’s Word to manipulate and beguile the souls of men/women).
    Instead of the cross being something to ‘uphold someone in the faith’ (God’s Truth) the enemy makes it a burden, a stealer of life without the resurrection of overcoming and defeating sin and death. Jesus states, “Take my yoke upon you … ye shall find rest unto your souls … For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matt 11:29-30
    Christianeeze (religion not of God but the devil) aims to ‘box people up’ thinking ‘richness’ is in possessions/physical things – that are temporary not Eternal.Taught that ‘speaking/using God’s Word as an “incantation” is ‘the way’ to get what their sinful thinking nature desires’ (ye shall be as gods). Entrapped in the box of the matrix.
    “Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.” 3 John 1:2 Spiritual prosperity In Christ ~ born of His Spirit.
    “If the Son [Word, Truth, Life] therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.” John 8:36
    “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8:2
    The premise of box-theology: What is ‘foremost’ in/on one’s mind ~ thinking of the heart? The ‘ways of the world’ or the “Life” which comes from and is of God.
    Did God mean for man to wear a box on his forehead, or did He mean for people to have ‘a mind filled with His Word, Truth & Love?’

• April 23, 2018 6:48 pm

You made some great connections there with the box. Like the ark and the heart, I hadn’t thought of that, and like the cube of the occult. If I am not mistaken the cube is considered to be the perfect shape by the occultists and symbolists.
      Following up on your question I would say a person can put himself into a box, if the box is the heart it could be good but if the box is used to withdraw within yourself to hide from reality it would be bad.
      The box of Christianeeze (I had not heard that term) is the box I think I was talking about.

4. April 23, 2018 1:57 pm

I find that we are just as likely to live under religious tyranny and secular. and we should guard against both.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth.” CS Lewis

• April 23, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing the Lewis quote. I, of course, and not in favor of a theocracy being set up in America.

• April 24, 2018 1:47 am

oh no steve I never thought you were!

5. June 28, 2018 9:21 am