Trey Gowdy to endorse Marco Rubio

December 26, 2015

Rumors have been circulating today that Trey Gowdy was going to endorse Marco Rubio and according to this story it seems as if this has now been confirmed. Here is more:

Townhall has confirmed rumors that Rep. Trey Gowdy — widely admired as a principled fighter among many grassroots conservatives — will join Sen. Marco Rubio on the campaign trail in Iowa next week

It seems highly unlikely, nay, improbable and unbelievable that Trey Gowdy would campaign for Marco Rubio in Iowa if he was not endorsing him.

He is throwing himself in with the establishment again: first Trey Gowdy paved the way for Paul Ryan to become the Speaker of the House by refusing to run, then he refused to run for Majority Leader, and now this; it makes you wonder if his Benghazi investigation was nothing but a continuation of the Issa/Boehner dog and pony show…

malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

1. December 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Rather than endorse Rubio, I would rather see Gowdy get into the mix for the presidential election. (Talk about a hands-down winner.)

• December 26, 2015 5:03 pm

So would I but this endorsement leaves me wondering about him because he is endorsing the establishment candidate.

• December 26, 2015 5:06 pm

My very thoughts but the politicians have working relationships with each other.
        I was on the street talking to Pete King, about two years ago, and I mentioned Feinstein’s nutty anti-gun proposal, and he said how sweet Feinstein was and a pleasure to work with. (Yeah)

• December 26, 2015 6:27 pm

I don’t think any of them understand their job.

• December 26, 2015 6:37 pm

The only thing politicians unbderstand is the paycheck as they keep giving themselves pay raises and don’t give a damn about the people in their districts.
        Maybe, Somalia, has the right idea, no government.

• December 26, 2015 6:59 pm

The corruption of our government is just so deep that the People don’t have any control over it whatsoever, anymore. The government barely resembles the one the Constitution establishes. I have no confidence in voting because both parties are the same – both are corrupt and neither one follows the Constitution.

State governments are not much better. Some are pushing back – that does give me a little hope.

I have no hope for the federal government. I think it’s going to take the People coming together and saying ‘enough.’ The only hope is the People replacing – not electing – enough representatives that the rest of the government understands that it exists only to obey the Constitution and answer to the People, not anything else. I don’t see that happening, though.

• December 26, 2015 7:29 pm

It looks like Obama will be leading us to bloody revolution.

• December 26, 2015 5:09 pm

Very true, these people do work together so I suppose we have to expect a little professional courtesy.

• December 26, 2015 6:29 pm

Yes, being professional I support. Caving, I don’t.

• December 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Sadly Brit and Laura you are both right. They do not understand their jobs anymore because they do not represent us anymore, they represent those special interest groups which give them the money.

• December 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Well Laura, I have to agree with you. The people are never going to rise up and say enough is enough because they have no idea what the role of our government is supposed to be and what the Constitution means and this has been done intentionally.

• December 26, 2015 7:41 pm

You are right, Steve.

2. December 26, 2015 6:25 pm

I’m so disappointed. Gowdy is one of the very, very few I actually like. 😦

• December 26, 2015 6:50 pm

Same here. If I remember correctly Gowdy is not running for reelection so this seems to be a parting gift to those of us who have been railing against the establishment.

3. Dr. Jeff permalink
    December 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Add me to the list of stunned people. I liked Gowdy too. I’d thought that a couple of election cycles down the road, he’d be an awesome Presidential candidate. Right now, I’m not so sure.

Rubio’s basically OK, but politically, Gowdy backing Rubio adds to the split among in the GOP. You’ve got the outright rebellious going for Trump who has literally just become a politician and has never been elected to any office by any party. That leaves Cruz and Rubio the only experienced GOP politicians even close to Trump.

Cruz has a Maverick reputation, but he is still GOP. Rubio has a much more conventional reputation, but he’s in third place with little chance of moving up. Cruz can still catch Trump IF he gets some good backing from the Republicans. Gowdy endorsing Rubio holds back Cruz more than it helps Rubio.

I watched some of Gowdy’s interrogations and decided you were safer going through a wood chipper than trying to sneak something by him. He has a very sharp and finely tuned mind. Is it possible that he honestly prefers Rubio and to hell with anyone else’s politics?

Donald Trump is the likely Republican candidate and has a pretty decent chance of becoming President. There are some real drawbacks with him, the very first is that his politics aren’t Left or Right, they’re Populist. Electing a Populist is a chancy proposition.

If Gowdy is backing Rubio at the behest of the GOP, why? Why not Ted Cruz who actually stands a chance against Trump? Why make a move that can/will split the GOP more than it is now?

I know there are issues with some of Cruz’s votes, but overall, you can’t say he’d be a bad choice.

• December 27, 2015 7:31 am

A great analysis Dr. Jeff! I think he chose Rubio over Cruz because the establishment is still upset with Cruz for bucking them on a couple of occasions, of course it is possible that he thinks Rubio is more electable in a general election than is Cruz.

4. December 27, 2015 11:41 am

The fact that with all of these hearings – IRS included, no immunity was offered which would have forced the called to testify, tells me everything I need to know. Lois Lerner, and now Hillary’s IT guy? What about the 30 of so that were rescued during Benghazi? Give me a break. It is a dog and pony show

• December 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Exactly Bunkerville, I had hopes they Trey would do better than Issa but it looks as if it was nothing but a show. Funny how those 30 survivors have disappeared, isn’t it?

• Dr. Jeff permalink
      December 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Good point and a dangerous question. All in favor of cleaning house in Washington, raise your hands. Politics as usual has been hurting us since the 60’s, it’s time to take back our country.

• December 28, 2015 8:34 pm

Hand way up in the air here!

5. December 27, 2015 11:59 am

Sadening, but I’m glad he stated it … and woke us up even more.

• December 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Yep, it is good to know he isn’t on our side after all!

• December 27, 2015 7:08 pm

My brother told me that anyone in that ‘capacity’ or gov. official is CIA run. Makes one wonder how many groups are competing for the top of the bean hill.

• December 27, 2015 7:21 pm

I don’t doubt it at all! One thing is for sure, they have their own agenda and it is not in doing what is best for the people who elect them.

6. petermc3 permalink
    December 28, 2015 9:12 am

The story of another self-serving politician willing to throw away what seemed to be an independent spirit for who knows what kind of payback has become par for the course…ho hum. …You’ve got to let me know-should I stay or should I go. Thank you Clash 🎸

• December 28, 2015 7:57 pm

If I stay there will be trouble, if I go it will be double…

1. Democrats claim Trey Gowdy should step down from the Benghazi Committee because he endorsed Marco Rubio | America's Watchtower